Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
50 years on death row
50 years on death row
Quote:BOISE, Idaho (AP) — For nearly 50 years, Idaho’s prison staffers have been serving Thomas Eugene Creech three meals a day, checking on him during rounds and taking him to medical appointments.

This Wednesday, some of Idaho’s prison staffers will be asked to kill him. Barring any last-minute stay, the 73-year-old, one of the nation’s longest-serving death row inmates, will be executed by lethal injection for killing a fellow prisoner with a battery-filled sock in 1981.

Creech’s killing of David Jensen, a young, disabled man who was serving time for car theft, was his last in a broad path of destruction that saw Creech convicted of five murders in three states. He is also suspected of at least a half-dozen others.

But now, decades later, Creech is mostly known inside the walls of the Idaho Maximum Security Institution as just “Tom,” a generally well-behaved old-timer with a penchant for poetry. His unsuccessful bid for clemency even found support from a former warden at the penitentiary, prison staffers who recounted how he wrote them poems of support or condolence and the judge who sentenced Creech to death.

https://apnews.com/article/creech-idaho-...45fb6e5ebb

I'm not sure what I think of this. I'm generally against the death penalty anyway, but he is a serial killer, after all. But does his growing mellow with age justify the support mentioned in the article above? Another part of me eels that his 50 years behind bars is a fate worse than death anyway.

RE: 50 years on death row
Kill him, or dont
but
dont wait for 50 effing years.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
(February 25, 2024 at 1:09 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
Quote:BOISE, Idaho (AP) — For nearly 50 years, Idaho’s prison staffers have been serving Thomas Eugene Creech three meals a day, checking on him during rounds and taking him to medical appointments.

This Wednesday, some of Idaho’s prison staffers will be asked to kill him. Barring any last-minute stay, the 73-year-old, one of the nation’s longest-serving death row inmates, will be executed by lethal injection for killing a fellow prisoner with a battery-filled sock in 1981.

Creech’s killing of David Jensen, a young, disabled man who was serving time for car theft, was his last in a broad path of destruction that saw Creech convicted of five murders in three states. He is also suspected of at least a half-dozen others.

But now, decades later, Creech is mostly known inside the walls of the Idaho Maximum Security Institution as just “Tom,” a generally well-behaved old-timer with a penchant for poetry. His unsuccessful bid for clemency even found support from a former warden at the penitentiary, prison staffers who recounted how he wrote them poems of support or condolence and the judge who sentenced Creech to death.

I'm not sure what I think of this. I'm generally against the death penalty anyway, but he is a serial killer, after all. But does his growing mellow with age justify the support mentioned in the article above? Another part of me eels that his 50 years behind bars is a fate worse than death anyway.

#1 2024 - 1981 is 41 years. 

I am against the death penalty for the simple reason that the state can spend virtually indefinite money on prosecution but the accused are limited to mostly public defenders who do not have the time to mount a proper defense. But if one wants to talk about taxes. It costs far more in taxes to prosecute a death penalty case than to simply give them life without parole. 

5 convictions he certainly should never leave prison. I have no sympathy for him. But I am still against the death penalty. 

But for any others accused of a single death that could be anything from involuntary manslaughter but over charged, a poor person can be very easily railroaded by the system, or be so scared to falsely confess, which does happen. 

The potential risk of killing an innocent person is not worth the cost. Life in prison without parole can be reversed if an innocent person is convicted.
(February 25, 2024 at 1:09 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

50 years in our penal system is horrible to contemplate on it's own. Add confinement to a cell no bigger than the average American bathroom for 23-hours of every day, with no way out but a visit to an enclosed yard* with no one else around, and you have cruel and unusual punishment, torture to be honest.

The man committed heinous crimes and should remain segregated from society for the remainder of his natural life. That he has mellowed, at least in my eye, should have no bearing on his sentence, but perhaps on the conditions of his segregation. The brutality that is death row serves no purpose but to torture those we have deemed beneath contempt. While some of us will revel in their suffering, I like to think the majority of us find it abhorrent to treat anyone with the casual disregard of Americas penal system, especially the various death rows around the country.

*On some death rows, the "yard" is a patch of dirt not much bigger then a basketball key, completely separate from the regular prison yard, surrounded with high, sheer walls, and roofed completely (or nearly so), in order to aggravate the feelings of confinement and hopelessness, and the suffering they bring.

As a side note: The worst death rows are typically in the most christian states. Of course, it's getting to the point where only christian states deem state sanctioned revenge killing as suitable punishment for any crimes.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Either rehabilitation works or it does not. Dismissing its apparent success seems rather obtuse.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
#1 B37, your intelligence is showing.

After 50 years just let him croak in prison. Stop any medical appointments, if they want him to die it's counter productive.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(February 25, 2024 at 2:04 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(February 25, 2024 at 1:09 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: https://apnews.com/article/creech-idaho-...45fb6e5ebb

Had you read the article, you'd know that he was placed on Death Row in 1975. I'm glad your arithmetic is better than your reading skill.

(February 25, 2024 at 2:04 pm)Brian37 Wrote: The potential risk of killing an innocent person is not worth the cost. Life in prison without parole can be reversed if an innocent person is convicted.

Agreed.

(February 25, 2024 at 2:04 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(February 25, 2024 at 1:09 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: https://apnews.com/article/creech-idaho-...45fb6e5ebb

I am against the death penalty for the simple reason that the state can spend virtually indefinite money on prosecution but the accused are limited to mostly public defenders who do not have the time to mount a proper defense. But if one wants to talk about taxes. It costs far more in taxes to prosecute a death penalty case than to simply give them life without parole. 

5 convictions he certainly should never leave prison. I have no sympathy for him. But I am still against the death penalty. 

But for any others accused of a single death that could be anything from involuntary manslaughter but over charged, a poor person can be very easily railroaded by the system, or be so scared to falsely confess, which does happen. 

The potential risk of killing an innocent person is not worth the cost. Life in prison without parole can be reversed if an innocent person is convicted.

(Bold mine)

In this case, that doesn’t apply - Creech’s guilty is so firmly established that to doubt it would be perverse.

And he STILL shouldn’t be executed.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Honestly, his guilt for the shit they wanted to hang on him was never established in a way that to doubt it would be perverse. Pretty much exactly the opposite.

OTOH, as our legal system does in many cases, it is going to kill him to hold him accountable for other things that it could not credibly establish by referring to the one thing it can. The death of a fellow prisoner...which, generously, the us prison system gives no shits about.

In the end, just as you say, all of that is just inside ball. The state wont save anyone or save any money by killing him. There's no moral or practical cover to be had.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 25, 2024 at 4:38 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Honestly, his guilt for the shit they wanted to hang on him was never established in a way that to doubt it would be perverse.  Pretty much exactly the opposite.

OTOH, as our legal system does in many cases, it is going to kill him to hold him accountable for other things that it could not credibly establish by referring to the one thing it can.  The death of a fellow prisoner...which, generously, the us prison system gives no shits about.

In the end, just as you say, all of that is just inside ball.  The state wont save anyone or save any money by killing him.  There's no moral or practical cover to be had.

Really? Was there someone else suspected of killing David Jensen with a sock full of batteries?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fifty years after the Yom Kippur War LinuxGal 71 4610 October 18, 2023 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Oregon Has No Death Row BrianSoddingBoru4 6 929 December 14, 2022 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Adnan Oktar, TV cult preacher jailed for 8,658 years in Turkey LinuxGal 1 591 November 18, 2022 at 5:48 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  black people 450 years a slave?!!? Drich 77 6893 June 13, 2020 at 5:49 am
Last Post: UtilitarianDeist
  96 Years Ago Minimalist 7 412 November 2, 2018 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Pakistan acquits Christian woman on death row Marozz 9 1085 October 31, 2018 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Russian Woman Reportedly Faces 6 Years in Prison for Insulting Memes about Xtians purplepurpose 1 557 October 16, 2018 at 5:31 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Suge Knight Sentenced to 28 Years in Prison Fake Messiah 3 635 October 9, 2018 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Mom who killed her two year old only gets 40 years Sterben 15 2061 July 21, 2018 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Still Crazy After All These Years..... Minimalist 41 5301 May 31, 2018 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist