Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist-Friendly Movies
Atheist-Friendly Movies
This topic is tribute to an article "The Top 20 Atheist-Friendly Movies" and although I watched all of those movies in the article I will comment some of them, since for some on the list I don't see them tackling religion in a way that you could say it was debunking it or even really criticizing it, like "Contact" or "7th Seal" or just weren't very good movies.

Below are also some movies that I like and think they are worth mentioning, but that are on the top of my mind. I mean there will be more when I remember them.

Of course you could list some of the movies that you encountered or comment on the movies that I commented.

Movies on the list in the article

Inherit the Wind (1960) - yes this is one of the must see movies.

Agora (2009) - yes great movie about rise of Christianity, it stealing from other religions and its clash with science. One of my favorites. Oscar Isaac best role and movie.

The Invention of Lying (2009) - I like how when he invents lying one of the first lies is "god" and people immediately stop caring about this life and making any effort.

Religulous (2008) - that is a classic.

Jesus Camp (2006) - it's a portrayal of Christianity with no embellishment or romanticizing.

Marjoe (1972) - this is the documentary that actually got the Oscar and I do like it but I feel there is too long, meaning there is a too much singing and not to much disclosure as I felt there could be.

Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979) - again a classic, but to be honest I never saw that movie much as "debunking" Christianity, just making some fun at religious motifs.

Movies that are not on the list

A Journey to Planet Sanity (2013) - this is absolutely genius movie and most funny movie on the list. I wish that guy made more movies.

Kumaré (2011) - This feels like a movie that Sacha Baron Cohen should have made if he was an atheist. It simply shows how people are desperate to believe in god and magic. An Indian-American simply poses as a guru that teaches literally *nothing* and still manages to gather disciples and women that even want to have sex with him on account of his "holiness".

Secrets of the Psychics (1993) - truly great documentary by James Randi about horoscopes, psychics and similar that I watched on youtube many times over.

An Honest Liar (2016) - life of James Randi that also tackles you know what.

Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God (2012) - a definite classic and a must see of how Catholic church protects and enables pedophiles.

The Brand New Testament (2015) - this is a French movie that is about how the world would look like if there was really a god. I really liked this one.

The Keepers (2017) - absolute scary Netflix documentary mini series about killing of the nun that wanted to tell the truth, bit too long but a definite must see.

The Unbelievers (2013) - to be honest I didn't find this movie to be particularly interesting. It just gathered some prominent skeptics and that's about that. It's more like "we're here" rather then tackling with anything specific.

Now there are some documentaries done by Richard Dawkins and they're great like "Dawkins: Sex, Death and the Meaning of Life" but I don't feel like much talking about them.

Movies that I look forward to:

Year Without God - A pastor spends a year exploring the world of atheism.

Losing Our Religion (2017) - Brendan is a pastor in a small, evangelical church, and he has a secret. He doesn't believe in God anymore. His wife is still a true believer - and she just told the wrong person.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Atheist-Friendly Movies
Dogma.
Dying to live, living to die.
Kumare is amazing. It's a must see, it's one of my favorite movies ever.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
-The Greatest Story Ever Told

-The Ten Commandments

-Ben Hur

-Passion Of The Christ

-The Last Temptation of Christ

-King of Kings

-The Bible

-Jesus Christ, Superstar

-The Song of Bernadette

-The Nun's Story

Properly viewed, all of the above show what a real horror story religious belief is, and so should be viewed as 'atheist friendly'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The Exorcist

The Omen

Damien

Rosemary's Baby

Angel Heart
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
All movies are atheist friendly. There's nothing about not believing in god that prevents you from watching a movie. Even if it's a shitty religious movie, if that gets you off, go for it.

There are far less fundamentalist theist friendly movies however!

"OH NOES MY FEELINGS ARE HURT BECAUSE HE SAID "SHIT"! WHY DIDN'T HE SAY "POOPY"?!?!?!? WHY DIDN'T HE SAY "POOPY"?!?!?!? DAMN THIS MOVIE!"

The Sound of Music. A german officer deflowering a nun, what could be better?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Passion of the Christ is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO homoerotic as to be completely must see for all gay atheists.

Last Temptation of Christ nearly converted me, BTW, so maybe be careful about watching that one. If the rest of the Christian community hadn't condemned Last Temptation as being heretical, I probably would have embraced that form of Christianity. Powerful movie, saved from being a tool for recruitment by Jesus followers themselves.

Kinda weird if you think about it too much . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 25, 2018 at 8:54 am)mh.brewer Wrote: The Sound of Music. A german officer deflowering a nun, what could be better?

Austro-Hungarian naval officer marries failed nun trainee.

"The Ledge", about an atheist who has to jump to save the life of his married girlfriend.
Aren't the vast majority of movies "atheist friendly?"

Hollywood hardly ever mentions a word about anything religious related...
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Movies you'd like to see remade Fake Messiah 83 6396 November 8, 2023 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Great Missed Opportunities in Movies. Gawdzilla Sama 5 685 October 25, 2023 at 4:31 pm
  Worst scenes in movies Fake Messiah 30 2647 October 19, 2023 at 11:12 pm
  Movies are not for intellectuals Interaktive 95 11709 December 30, 2022 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Christian movies you actually like T.J. 27 2000 December 10, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Martin Scorsese says Marvel movies are "not cinema" EgoDeath 97 4145 October 16, 2019 at 8:49 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Soundtracks from Movies you like Joods 48 8703 May 2, 2018 at 5:20 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Movies you hate but everyone else loves Fake Messiah 77 5732 February 19, 2018 at 3:14 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Movies, SPOIL THE ENDING, IT'S FUN!!!!! Brian37 22 3702 December 27, 2017 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  The most inspirational movies that left an indelible impression on you! KittyAnn 82 10052 November 28, 2017 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: KittyAnn