Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intellectual Humility: A Guiding Principle For The Skeptical Movement?
Intellectual Humility: A Guiding Principle For The Skeptical Movement?
Quote:Although psychologists have yet to converge on a consensual definition of intellectual humility, most concur that it encompasses an awareness of one’s intellectual limitations and biases (Church and Samuelson 2016; Leary et al. 2017; Lilienfeld and Bowes 2020); an appreciation of alternative perspectives; and an acknowledgement that the evidentiary bases of one’s beliefs are often incomplete (Alfano et al. 2017; Whitcomb et al. 2017).

This is taken from quite a lengthy and very well referenced article in the Skeptical Enquirer: https://skepticalinquirer.org/2020/09/in...-movement/

I haven't yet read it all but I think the idea makes a lot of sense, and am reminded of the saying circa: "It is a pity that the ignorant are always so certain whereas the wise are so full of doubt."

Seems to me that intellectual humility is far more likely to win over the faith heads than professed certainty, in part due to the fact it might inspire them to examine their own beliefs from a dispassionate, non-partisan MO.

Read Clap
RE: Intellectual Humility: A Guiding Principle For The Skeptical Movement?
The converse results in walls coming up, just making believers doubling down on their credulity.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
If you're not skeptical of your own skepticism, you are no skeptic.
What if you have no reason to be humble.

Asking for a friend.
I'm 67.362% CERTAIN I'm the leading authority here on this topic as I doubt anybody else has made the (fairly considerable) investment of time and effort to read the whole article/paper.
(September 9, 2020 at 3:04 pm)Lawz Wrote: I'm 67.362% CERTAIN I'm the leading authority here on this topic as I doubt anybody else has made the (fairly considerable) investment of time and effort to read the whole article/paper.

What's that smell? Oh, virtue signalling.
Nope, I was just trying to be funny...didn't mean to cast an air of superiority, just that I've not done a proper read like that for some time. I don't want fight, in good mood I am, mushroom man.
(September 9, 2020 at 1:10 pm)Lawz Wrote: "It is a pity that the ignorant are always so certain whereas the wise are so full of doubt."

I think that anyone who studies the world with an open mind learns to be humble.

Scientists learn how conclusions that seem completely proven by evidence can fall apart nonetheless. History shows that much of what we hold to be true today will seem laughable in the future.

Historians see that systems and ideologies which their adherents took to be inevitable to human nature pass away with time.

Religious people see that there are good people in other religions, and that their own religion doesn't guarantee goodness.

Atheists discover that the views of religious issues they had when they became atheists are overly simple.

The trouble is that people are only tenuously and sporadically rational. All these groups of people hold to their beliefs with more passion than is justified, and filter evidence to suit their preferences. Humility is always justified, and rarely accepted.
Only people as phenomenally smart as I am are able to recognize the virtue of intellectual humility. I know this is true because I thought it up and I’m never wrong.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The people for whom intellectual humility would be of use don't practice it, and those that do don't really need to do so. So where's the utility?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Voluntary Human Extinction Movement Jehanne 78 5506 January 17, 2023 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Is humility a virtue? Bahana 31 4709 April 2, 2018 at 10:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Humility why do you mock me so? Losty 58 7627 September 23, 2016 at 3:18 am
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  Is what we think emotional or intellectual? DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 16 1959 December 15, 2015 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Sappho
  How flexible is the principle of causality? Mudhammam 40 4564 March 18, 2014 at 9:41 am
Last Post: tor