Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ever feel like you don't belong in this world?
Ever feel like you don't belong in this world?
I feel like that on a regular basis.

Not in a depressive manner, though I've been there and experienced that.

I mean that I feel as though I should have been born thousands of years in the future, because I can see how absolutely ignorant current society is and how corrective measures are not being taken. Not that the future will be any better, at this rate, yet a drop of optimism makes me want to think the future will be better than the present.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Ever feel like you don't belong in this world?
It would probably be better in some ways, worse in others. Things always change.
I feel like I'm in a parallel world of sorts. I'm not gay, but I am disabled, which presents its own social difficulties. The head pats, the pet names, the other forms of communicating down to. The desexualization. That last part is annoying in a way and isa kind of withdrawal that will always, in some sense, be with me. Partially by my own choice at this point. I just can't crash through certain taboos society lays on me.

But, frankly, this world is too interesting to me. I'm sorry we all die, societal struggles and all. There is much to observe, and it is interesting to do so.

I do love to try to envision the future. I guess I am a legit futurist. What will our brand of English be like? What states will we have that we don't know, and what states will we lose? What will our form of government be? What will the population be of places I have lived in? What else will be different, or the same, in, say, 300 years? Will we be more accepting...of gays? Blacks? Women? What will the trans situation be like (I've only been aware of that since NC HB 2)?

Will our society be any better? What kind of culture shock will I have if I am able to time travel to 2318? What will QOL be like for those of us with spina bifida? What new disabilities and diseases will there be, and will society be more accepting of QOL solutions than an outright cure? And on and on.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Ever since I was saved. I'm part of God's church and thus should be separate from the world yet function in it to be a witness for Christ.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Since last election day.
When I was a kid dealing with autism, there was actually a time where I seriously believed I had to be from another planet. Or maybe the reincarnation of Jim Morrison.

I've outgrown it, but now there's times where I think I'd probably be better off at some other time; most likely the 1970s. Great music, cinema was at its peak, and no doubt there'd be a lot of women having promiscuous sex, and I might actually be a beneficiary. Of course, there are drawbacks; the most obvious being the lack of Internet and the Vietnam draft (apparently, my birthday number was 26; I'd probably have been called, and since understanding of autism spectrum disorders was in its infancy, to say the least, I might not get a deferment.)
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I've been watching a lot of Nickelodeon stuff from the mid 80's, my tweenhood, on YouTube. Even just those doowop bumpers. It would be interesting to be 42 in 1985, and, yes, have te WWW. Not sure if that would be great or terrible.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(April 1, 2018 at 11:19 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: I feel like that on a regular basis.

Not in a depressive manner, though I've been there and experienced that.

I mean that I feel as though I should have been born thousands of years in the future, because I can see how absolutely ignorant current society is and how corrective measures are not being taken.  Not that the future will be any better, at this rate, yet a drop of optimism makes me want to think the future will be better than the present.

Homo sapiens will be extinct thousands of years in the future. You'd be all alone and feeling like you don't belong in that world either.

-Teresa
Nope i am were i always was
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Dude, I feel like that all the time. I feel like I don't fit in to this society. I just kind of feel out of place here sometimes. I feel like I don't understand most people, and most don't understand me. I have always found social norms and behaviors confusing, though I've gotten better at fitting in or whatever.
The bugle sounds as the charge begins

But on this battlefield no one wins

- Iron Maiden, The Trooper

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's not that I don't like you but........ brewer 13 678 March 12, 2024 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Happy birthday Gawdzilla where ever you are. arewethereyet 6 435 January 12, 2024 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1082 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Have you ever Met-up with an online Buddy? Uberpod 25 1425 December 3, 2022 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: Orbit
  First-time, non-violent criminals do not belong in prison. Jehanne 25 1543 August 29, 2022 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Do I belong here? Disagreeable 17 944 June 23, 2022 at 6:59 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  How high have you ever been? Frank Apisa 27 2091 June 28, 2021 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Other forums you belong to... arewethereyet 9 838 June 8, 2020 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Why don't we name tornadoees like hurricanes? Brian37 19 1687 April 26, 2020 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  Do you feel loved? Cod 46 3052 October 16, 2019 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Cod