Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books - Sex at Dawn
Books - Sex at Dawn
Yeah yeah, it's not that kind of book :p It's about prehistoric human sexuality, and how it influences modern sexuality. Like if we're 'supposed' to be monogamous, why do we find it so difficult (though I don't think the answer to that would come as much of a surprise to an atheist) I read it while on vacation a few weeks ago, found it pretty interesting. That is while I wasn't distracted consuming too much rum and tequila! I was curious if anyone else here has read it.

I thought I would start a book thread since only one of my friends also reads, but he lives 8 hours away and works quite a bit, so we don't get to talk books much. Also that Bart Ehrman thread prompted me to buy Jesus Interupted, so I figured maybe I'd get some other good book suggestions.
Wink 
RE: Books - Sex at Dawn
Read it, loved it. The problem with non monogamy for athiests , (or maybe just for me) was that it was associated with new age touchy feely spirituality, so i was always as suspicious of it as of religion generally. The amount of science in the book, and the amount of "really..wow!) moments in the book was awesome. So i've always believed in non monogamy, but always felt i had to shut up about it.
A good read after that was "The ethical Slut" which likewise has a title designed to sell books, but that's not what it's about.
Just purchase
God Hates You, Hate Him Back: Making Sense of The Bible
I'll let you know what it's like if anyone is interested.
have fun

(November 22, 2010 at 11:34 pm)cdog Wrote: Yeah yeah, it's not that kind of book :p It's about prehistoric human sexuality, and how it influences modern sexuality. Like if we're 'supposed' to be monogamous, why do we find it so difficult (though I don't think the answer to that would come as much of a surprise to an atheist) I read it while on vacation a few weeks ago, found it pretty interesting. That is while I wasn't distracted consuming too much rum and tequila! I was curious if anyone else here has read it.

I thought I would start a book thread since only one of my friends also reads, but he lives 8 hours away and works quite a bit, so we don't get to talk books much. Also that Bart Ehrman thread prompted me to buy Jesus Interupted, so I figured maybe I'd get some other good book suggestions.

This thread has disappointed me.
False advertising at its worst. Sad

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(November 26, 2010 at 4:37 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: This thread has disappointed me.
False advertising at its worst. Sad

[chuckling] we could start a new one

I spent far too much as it was in the book store yesterday, but I saw a couple that looked like they were in the same vein (The Red Queen and Bonk) that looked miiiighty interesting. Unfortunately I'm wading through stuff for my paper, and I started one called "Catching Fire" that argues about how cooking our food enhanced our evolution, so it'll be a while before I can touch those.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Name a movie that would have been creepy with a sex scene The Valkyrie 40 2249 November 21, 2020 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Brunei to Punish Adultery and Gay Sex With Death by Stoning Megabullshit 0 231 March 31, 2019 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Megabullshit
  Panel Discussion on Personally Influential Books Neo-Scholastic 20 2386 November 20, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  What Was Your Sex Education Like? Jade-Green Stone 30 2741 October 21, 2018 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  A Thought On Oral Sex BrianSoddingBoru4 28 1679 September 22, 2018 at 12:26 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  English Language Books in Germany Rhondazvous 2 447 September 9, 2018 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Another sex poll...4 or 9? John V 85 14668 April 19, 2018 at 4:25 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Minimilist and others...can you recommend books? Mystic 5 634 April 17, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Food or sex? Which would you give up? Angrboda 67 6055 January 1, 2018 at 3:14 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Ethics of sex robots Catholic_Lady 171 12641 November 1, 2017 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet