Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Malformed Idioms
Malformed Idioms
I just can't take it anymore!
I need to vent!

I've told her a million times but she's too set in her ways.

In a phone conversation with her friend 2 days ago:
She says: "The writing's on the blackboard" .................................... (maybe she never really got over Mr Squiggle! Dunno)
She says: "You have to think outside the circle" ................................... Jesus Christ. I give up!
And lastly she always says: "As a constellation", you will still receive something, etc ........... Yep! My dear wife is now a fucking Astrophysicist!

Heard any other bastardised English sayings? Put them here ...

I’m waiting with baited breath...

[Image: 28atev.jpg]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Malformed Idioms
-You could have knocked me over with a fender.

-Better safe than soggy.

-There's more than one was to skin a catch.

-I wouldn't trade it for all the peas in China.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Why don't you make life a tree and get out of here! - Biff in Back to the future

Calm down Iggy, you need to stop and smell the tulips.
Before you know it you'll have your wife walking on sea shells.
Make like a fence and get over it.
Ones I hear/see all the time:

That's a mute point
For all intensive purposes
He got his just desserts
It begs the question
"Tradition" is just a word people use to make themselves feel better about being an asshole.
"I could care less" always irks me. That means you have some level of caring! The real phrase is "I couldn't care less."
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(April 13, 2018 at 8:53 am)Divinity Wrote: It begs the question

What's it supposed to be then? I've heard people use this expression for as long as I can remember. Maybe it's more usual in Britain? I've always taken it to mean, that one feels compelled to wonder about something specifically implied by something else.

e.g.

"He's driving off to Slough again tomorrow. It begs the question as to why he keeps going there."

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/beg+the+question

Edit: This page though suggests that it is originally derived from the fallacious argument begging the question

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/educat...ion-update

(April 13, 2018 at 8:56 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: "I could care less" always irks me.  That means you have some level of caring!  The real phrase is "I couldn't care less."

Yeah, I think it's the Americans who say the former, whereas Brits say the latter.
"The time is apond us" A guy I used to work with used that one a lot...even after I corrected it in a document he wrote.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I'm thinking of the movie 'Short Circuit' where the Indian character does this throughout the movie, ex. "You can say that two times."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phrases and idioms that trigger you. Edwardo Piet 74 11647 November 11, 2017 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus