Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lays and the Smile Operation
Lays and the Smile Operation
If you've purchased a bag of Lays potato chips recently, you know what this is about.

https://www.operationsmile.org/press-rel...ss-america

Seriously, what is with people's obsession with the creepy act of smiling?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Lays and the Smile Operation
(April 16, 2018 at 8:29 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: If you've purchased a bag of Lays potato chips recently, you know what this is about.

Don't you hate it when people tell you "Smile!" ?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Do you think intentionally smiling can lead to real smiles? I used to do this exercise with my therapist where we would look at each other and smile, and if I ever felt that the smile was too big, or too fake, I made it bigger and faker. In the context of the therapeutic exercise, it really did lead to a real smile.... each and every time.

But it got me thinking: Can intentionally smiling in a candid setting lead to real smiles?

Thoughts?
Other people smiling at me doesn't lead me to smile back. I only ever smile on my own terms.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(April 16, 2018 at 9:03 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: Do you think intentionally smiling can lead to real smiles? I used to do this exercise with my therapist where we would look at each other and smile, and if I ever felt that the smile was too big, or too fake, I made it bigger and faker. In the context of the therapeutic exercise, it really did lead to a real smile.... each and every time.

But it got me thinking: Can intentionally smiling in a candid setting lead to real smiles?

Thoughts?

So smiling is contagious like yawning?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I don't know Chimp, but I feel like it's a discussion worth having. Any number of factors could have made me smile in therapy-- like looking at my therapist's big fake smile made me chuckle more than once. But I was wondering about an intentional smile becoming a real smile. Thread reminded me of it that's all.
(April 16, 2018 at 9:06 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: Other people smiling at me doesn't lead me to smile back.  I only ever smile on my own terms.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
As you all know if you've seen my YouTube accent tags, I have a monster of a resting bitchface (RBF), so, while it feels kind of naggy, I don't mind being prodded to smile for the camera, lest my RBF take over.

But at a family gathering in the San Joaquin Valley recently, my aunt, who has to bring her camera everywhere, had me pose with my cousin and my other cousin's new wife. Both blonde 30ish athletic young women. She just kept on prodding me and prodding me, and I ended up looking like I was recently struck in the head by a car and never seen a woman before, much less two. It was beyond creepy.

My cousins all do great in front of the camera, and it is natural. Theirs is the kind of family that seems not to ever get enoug of eachother, and it shows in their pics. Me? I love them, and it is mutual, but I need me-time.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(April 16, 2018 at 8:32 pm)chimp3 Wrote:
(April 16, 2018 at 8:29 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: If you've purchased a bag of Lays potato chips recently, you know what this is about.

Don't you hate it when people tell you "Smile!" ?

I always give those people a smile reminiscent of a certain character from Gotham.
Dying to live, living to die.

Then change your avatar or knock the smile off it's face, Mr. Grouch.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Smile when you say that.... onlinebiker 12 1066 April 11, 2020 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Sexual Pleasure after a Sex Change Operation Rhondazvous 13 4785 April 18, 2017 at 10:21 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  My operation robvalue 295 22935 February 12, 2017 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: chimp3
Smile Funny Tortoises to make you Smile Fidel_Castronaut 9 2462 November 24, 2013 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Mystical
  Hawking always makes me smile. Paul the Human 13 4340 April 27, 2010 at 9:08 am
Last Post: Sam