Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An alternative to deliberate fouls in basketball?
An alternative to deliberate fouls in basketball?
Background for those not familiar:

I enjoy the tension of the closing part of a basketball game, but when it devolves into deliberate fouls, I find it a bit of a farce. It turns into a game of "tag" and free throws.

Do others feel this way? Are there any suggestions as to how this could be avoided with modifications to the rules? I don't have any clear ideas myself, which is frustrating.

Has this ever been sought to be addressed?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: An alternative to deliberate fouls in basketball?
Kick the offender out? Give the other team 10 points? Automatic forfeit?

There is no good answer. Can you imagine the armchair reffing if they did anything else. Devolution into madness.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I know what you mean, but I don't think you can do away with it, because of all that goes into it.

They try to deny/intercept the inbounds pass. Possibly trap. Try to aggressively strip the ball. Try to keep the ball away from the best free throw shooter. Keep track of how many fouls the person committing the foul has. The offensive team can try to avoid the foul to run time off the clock. Etc...

It's a little lame at times, but I think it's the only workable solution.
Yes it's really fucking annoying. But the Coaches want to go for the possible win by way of fouling instead of forcing some sort of turnover. It's tough to get steals but they do happen. It's more likely to force a miss, but while the defenders are sticking to their men like glue the clock is winding down.
Got to agree, I don't think there is a better alternative. You'd basically have to drastically change the rules in the last five minutes (or?) and that would just be weird. If anyone comes up with a truly superior alternative I would definitely welcome it.
(April 17, 2018 at 11:16 pm)Whateverist Wrote: Got to agree, I don't think there is a better alternative.  You'd basically have to drastically change the rules in the last five minutes (or?) and that would just be weird.  If anyone comes up with a truly superior alternative I would definitely welcome it.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Alter the shot clock depending on the score gap? Make fouls an automatic 3 point penalty? All solutions seem like they would do more harm than good.

By the way, someone had written "GAY" on the back of one of the player's shirts! How can they get away with such bullying?
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Quote:Do others feel this way?

Nope.  I stopped watching basketball 30+ years ago.

Problem solved.
I just started watching it again after not having it on my TV packages for 10-15 years, and I only recognize LeBron James out of all the players. I used to love watching Stockton and Malone. Stockton was my favourite player.

The Rapters were shit except for Vnice Carter before if I remember rightly, but now they're kicking ass!

I'm feeling the only alternative here would be to penalize the deliberate fouls so hard that you allow the shot clock to be run out instead. To be honest, I think I'd prefer that. I mean, you've had the whole fucking game to score points. I understand that wouldn't go down well with most fans though.

Index of my best videos
I recall exactly why I gave up on it.  I was watching the Knicks playing on the West Coast so the game started at 10:30 PM to begin with.  About 2 AM they were in the third overtime and someone called "Time Out" once too often.  I thought...."fuck it.  I don't care that much" and shut it off and went to bed.  Haven't watched since.

I know how to hold a grudge, man.
(April 18, 2018 at 1:33 am)robvalue Wrote: I just started watching it again after not having it on my TV packages for 10-15 years, and I only recognize LeBron James out of all the players. I used to love watching Stockton and Malone. Stockton was my favourite player.

The Rapters were shit except for Vnice Carter before if I remember rightly, but now they're kicking ass!

I'm feeling the only alternative here would be to penalize the deliberate fouls so hard that you allow the shot clock to be run out instead. To be honest, I think I'd prefer that. I mean, you've had the whole fucking game to score points. I understand that wouldn't go down well with most fans though.

I idolized Stockton. When I played in grades 7-8 I tried to emulate him. Except i was a slow hustle player, a PF-C because everyone on my team was so small. I always looked to pass, which really wasn't what Stockton did. He had serious scoring skills and could have  averaged 21-22 ppg if he wanted. The only thing i really had in common was that in the 8th grade i got 1.5 steals per game. I think I really just tried to pass to whoever had the better shot. Stockton should go down as one of GOAT at his position.
I kind of collected his cards. The Jazz team that went to the Finals was something special. Stockton, Malone, Hornacek. Even the young guy that took the place of Ty Corbin wasn't bad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Time for basketball Foxaèr 2 99 January 29, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Magic now "president of basketball operations" at the Lakers c172 0 529 February 22, 2017 at 12:26 am
Last Post: c172