Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question
Question
Hi everyone.  First of all I want to be honest and let you know that I am a Bible believing Christian.  I did not join this forum with the intentions to attack, debate, or belittle anyone. I expect the same treatment, please.  I am doing a personal study on the topic of apostasy of the Christian faith. Some believers think that a person of Christian faith can choose to not follow Jesus.  I do have my own beliefs about this subject of which i will not discuss.  I do personally know of one person who kind of turned away for a period of time , but eventually returned to the faith.  I am here to ask if there are any of people who were a bible believing, Christ following, Christian who chose to "walk away" from that belief.  If so, how long were you a follower of Jesus and why did you abandon that faith?  What is your belief now?
Thank you so much for your time.
G.
RE: Question
(April 23, 2018 at 7:16 pm)G Alan Wrote: Hi everyone.  First of all I want to be honest and let you know that I am a Bible believing Christian.  I did not join this forum with the intentions to attack, debate, or belittle anyone. I expect the same treatment, please.  I am doing a personal study on the topic of apostasy of the Christian faith. Some believers think that a person of Christian faith can choose to not follow Jesus.  I do have my own beliefs about this subject of which i will not discuss.  I do personally know of one person who kind of turned away for a period of time , but eventually returned to the faith.  I am here to ask if there are any of people who were a bible believing, Christ following, Christian who chose to "walk away" from that belief.  If so, how long were you a follower of Jesus and why did you abandon that faith?  What is your belief now?
Thank you so much for your time.
G.

Could you do us a flavor and start an intro thread for yourself? We don't know you.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
You're gonna find a bunch of former believers here.  Welcome aboard.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I've never believed in Jesus so I can't help you. But there are many here who did so I'll let them speak.

Welcome by the way, hope you stick around and that this isn't a hit and run thread.
I was a Christian until I was about 23. Long story short, I started reading the Bible and realized I didn’t believe anything in there.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
I believed until about 15-16 and I just couldn't wrap my head around magic being real, I'm too much of a logical thinker. I gave up religion for what made more sense and what had proof.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
I had indoctrination (I could say all the right words at the right times) but I don't think anyone would ever call it faith or belief, certainly not me. Left at age 13.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I was 11 when I realized the church was full of a bunch of con artists masquerading as "holy."

In the ensuing years it occurred to me that the story they were peddling made no sense either.

The sense of freedom is invigorating.
For someone possibly questioning the whole enterprise, I'd suggest entertaining the idea Apostle Paul was the First Heretic, and try a 'pure Jesus, no Paul' faith approach. You can still use your Bible, just ignore the Paul retconning and hijacking of a new religion he barely had a grasp of. He wound up ignoring quite a bit of Jesusism, and then changing quite a bit of what he had been exposed to.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

So, this is a good question., I went to a YMCA church with a babysitter family until I was in my tweens. A bit after that, I found the Unitarian Universalist church and stuck with it for 13 years. At that point, my politics shifted and I knew I didn't beleve in god, so why go to church?

I remain an atheist.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan