Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:32 am

Poll: Are you a lumper or a splitter?
This poll is closed.
I'm a lumper. Humans are just another kind of animal.
58.06%
18 58.06%
I'm a splitter. Humans are unique and different from the animals.
9.68%
3 9.68%
I don't know.
22.58%
7 22.58%
To hell with all polls!
9.68%
3 9.68%
Total 31 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you a lumper or a splitter?
Are you a lumper or a splitter?
In every classification scheme, there are two camps. There are those classifiers who tend to find similarities between things and prefer to lump smaller groups into larger groups, and on the other hand those catalogers who tend to find differences and prefer to split larger groups into smaller groups. In thinking about human nature, too, there are lumpers and splitters. Splitters like to emphasize the ways in which we are distinct from the other animals, such as our rationality, language, opposable thumbs, bipedalism, civilization, and so on. Lumpers on the other hand believe that the most significant influence on the way we are is those ways in which we share traits with other animals. This includes things like our social nature, the importance of sex and reproduction, our emotions, and so on.

Which do you think is more important for shaping what we are as humans today? Are you a lumper or a splitter?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
RE: Are you a lumper or a splitter?
Can I be a little of both? I've never really thought about this specifically, but I think it's not hard to recognize how closely we resemble other animals in certain ways while also identifying the stark differences. Can I be a... splimper?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Interesting poll. I voted splitter. I think as a general rule, you can learn more about anything specific if you pay attention to small differences and split them up, vs having a more broad view and lumping everything together into the same big group and leaving it that way.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(April 24, 2018 at 11:49 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Interesting poll. I voted splitter. I think as a general rule, you can learn more about anything specific if you pay attention to small differences and split them up, vs having a more broad view and lumping everything together into the same big group and leaving it that way.

The splitter option lumps all other animals though. Poll is rigged.
There are only two kinds of people:  Real human beings and republicunts.
(April 24, 2018 at 11:49 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Interesting poll. I voted splitter. I think as a general rule, you can learn more about anything specific if you pay attention to small differences and split them up, vs having a more broad view and lumping everything together into the same big group and leaving it that way.

This goes for differences between humans and other animals, as well as differences between dogs and other animals, birds and other animals, snakes and other animals, etc... 

"Splitting" just seems more logical all around. Lumping seems rash.

(April 24, 2018 at 11:38 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: Which do you think is more important for shaping what we are as humans today?

A couple examples of how splitting has been important: 

- We have doctors to treat sick people, and vets to treat sick animals, and different types of vets to treat different types of animals. 

- We eat other animals, but it's extremely taboo and unacceptable to eat people, unless in extreme life/death situations and only if the person we eat is already dead. 

- We have different fields of study for different species of animals, including humans in their own category.

- The way we talk to/treat our pets is different from the way we would do so with our human children.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Since evolutionary radiation seems to make more sense (as far as morphological differences are concerned), I'd have to put myself in the splitter camp. 

That being said, I didn't answer the poll - the choices make no sense. Human are indeed animals, but we are also unique: gorillas and shrews are both animals, but they're unique enough that we have no trouble telling them apart. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Lumper. That doesn't mean we aren't different from other animals in some way. We just aren't different enough to need our own category.

There's only 2% difference in DNA between us and chimps. That's the only reason they don't have technology like we do. Once you get a creature with the brains and limbs able to construct tools and technology gets started... it just snowballs from there.

We're nothing special. I'm sure there are plenty of other lifeforms out there in the universe that also had an evolutionary pathway that happened to take them on the path to invention... and then it snowballed just like it did with us.

Why is there only us? There wasn't. There were other apes that were smart enough to make tools and stuff, we just happen to be the smartest of the bunch (anrhropic principle there), and also the most aggressive. We out-bred, out-thought and murdered all competition.

I'm sure that must be the same on alien planets. When live evolves and a create starts to develop simple tools, there will be other creatures closely related that do too... and then it just becomes an arms race and they exterminate each other. The strongest species sticks around and becomes the dominant creature.

Hell, we still exterminate each other today... and that's our own species.
(April 24, 2018 at 11:45 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Can I be a little of both?  I've never really thought about this specifically, but I think it's not hard to recognize how closely we resemble other animals in certain ways while also identifying the stark differences.  Can I be a... splimper?

This would be how I feel too! I see some of both categories. I can't just pick one or the other.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.