Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alt. Hist. request, Vikings make a go of the "New World"?
Alt. Hist. request, Vikings make a go of the "New World"?
Looking for an alternative history where the Vikings decide that North America is just what they want. Anybody read anything like this? Opinions solicited.
RE: Alt. Hist. request, Vikings make a go of the "New World"?

Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Sounds like you might find Colin Taber's United States of Vinland series interesting. I haven't read any of it, but dad said they were pretty good.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(April 29, 2018 at 8:13 am)popeyespappy Wrote: Sounds like you might find Colin Taber's United States of Vinland series interesting. I haven't read any of it, but dad said they were pretty good.

I don't normally find alt-hist interesting, but I'm after something specific. Thanks for the breadcrumbs.
I think I would only find alternative history interesting if the anchor clearly knows that part of history extremely well, and had researched the customs, the personalities, the language, the detailed politics, and the means and skillsets available to people of that time, very very thoroughly, and constructs his alternative history by plausibly changing just one event or decision.

In other words there are relatively few periods in history where the level of detail is even known to us in sufficient detail for it to be possible to constructi an interesting alternative history.

One such period might be 1st century Rome, for example what if Varius was not defeated in Toutenberg forest.
Too often magic is employed to create a Point Of Departure (POD) from our time line.

"Japanese get the atomic bomb in time for the raid on Pearl Harbor" is one of those. It's not alt HIST if you need magic to make it happen.
Vikings were in America?
How did they get on with the indigenous folk?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
It is unlikely they had an interaction.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/nl/meadows

We know that when Europeans actually did make contact with native-americans the N-As died in droves from European diseases.
(April 30, 2018 at 12:37 am)ignoramus Wrote: Vikings were in America?
How did they get on with the indigenous folk?

And yup they were here in fact the L'anse aux meadows  in Newfoundland  to be precise

And they didn't get along with the Mi'kmaq tribe(The people who lived in Newfoundland) . But there is also evidence they may have traded for furs with peoples further north.
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(April 30, 2018 at 1:12 am)Minimalist Wrote: It is unlikely they had an interaction.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/nl/meadows

We know that when Europeans actually did make contact with native-americans the N-As died in droves from European diseases.

lead poisoning?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.