Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 1:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's talk about bias!!!
Let's talk about bias!!!
So what are your thoughts on bias?

Some things to consider...

How does society as a whole tend towards biased thinking or not?

How do you recognise bias in you own life? How does one ride themselves of bias? Is it an exercise of will or simply something you learn (free will vs determinism)?

Is bias a myth? If it is, what is our (your) role in coming to grips with being wrong (or at least incorrect) or not? Can one justify never being wrong from a theoretical standpoint? 

What would be required to believe (heh) that one does not have any biases?

Is it easier for you to separate seeing bias in others or yourself more?

How does our perception tie into our biases? 

Are our tools to measure the universe fallible due to bias? Why or why not?
But your individuality and your present need will be swept away by change, 
and what you now ardently desire will one day become the object of abhorrence. 
~ Schiller - 'Psychological Types'
RE: Let's talk about bias!!!
(May 9, 2018 at 10:19 am)Quick Wrote: So what are your thoughts on bias?

How do you recognise bias in you own life? How does one ride themselves of bias? Is it an exercise of will or simply something you learn (free will vs determinism)?

Is bias a myth? If it is, what is our (your) role in coming to grips with being wrong (or at least incorrect) or not? Can one justify never being wrong from a theoretical standpoint? 

Bias is irelevant. This deduction is made out of reality, if whatever the fuck gods do exist, I stand here, half a body and 1/4 th of a mind. You let me know what a god is.
(May 9, 2018 at 10:32 am)LastPoet Wrote:
(May 9, 2018 at 10:19 am)Quick Wrote: So what are your thoughts on bias?

Bias is irelevant. This deduction is made out of reality, if whatever the fuck gods do exist, I stand here, half a body and 1/4 th of a mind. You let me know what a god is.

This topic has nothing to do with belief in God or gods.
(May 9, 2018 at 10:38 am)Quick Wrote: This topic has nothing to do with belief in God or gods.

As it stands, I talk within the forum rules. report if you will Big Grin har har har.
(May 9, 2018 at 10:46 am)LastPoet Wrote:
(May 9, 2018 at 10:38 am)Quick Wrote: This topic has nothing to do with belief in God or gods.

As it stands, I talk within the forum rules. report if you will Big Grin har har har.

Well, that's fine, but then I am not sure what your argument is because you are introducing God or gods into a conversation that doesn't necessitate talking about God or gods.
(May 9, 2018 at 10:48 am)Quick Wrote:
(May 9, 2018 at 10:46 am)LastPoet Wrote: As it stands, I talk within the forum rules. report if you will Big Grin har har har.

Well, that's fine, but then I am not sure what your argument is because you are introducing God or gods into a conversation that doesn't necessitate talking about God or gods.

"Gods" are an influence on us humans or are you shitting on me? Just look out of the window if you will. Who are you to tell me what is allowed or not in this forum? It's Tibs and he can nuke from orbit.
(May 9, 2018 at 10:54 am)LastPoet Wrote:
(May 9, 2018 at 10:48 am)Quick Wrote: Well, that's fine, but then I am not sure what your argument is because you are introducing God or gods into a conversation that doesn't necessitate talking about God or gods.

"Gods" are an influence on us humans or are you shitting on me? Just look out of the window if you will. Who are you to tell me what is allowed or not in this forum? It's Tibs and he can nuke from orbit.

I'm not, and this is supposed to be a serious discussion.
(May 9, 2018 at 10:19 am)Quick Wrote: How does society as a whole tend towards biased thinking or not?
Strongly,  most of which will be implicit.  Which is to say that they are unconscious and automatic.  The classic example is an egalitarian male who..nevertheless, associates females with domestic life and on account of this trusts his female coworkers input less.  

Quote:How do you recognise bias in you own life? How does one ride themselves of bias? Is it an exercise of will or simply something you learn (free will vs determinism)?
Well, for cognitive biases, we have a system.  For implicit biases.....we've got next to nothing.  This is part of why females couldn;t vote until 1920.   

Quote:Is bias a myth? If it is, what is our (your) role in coming to grips with being wrong (or at least incorrect) or not? Can one justify never being wrong from a theoretical standpoint? 
No.  

Quote:What would be required to believe (heh) that one does not have any biases?
Cognitive bias, lol.

Quote:Is it easier for you to separate seeing bias in others or yourself more?
Cognitive, about the same regardless..implicit is easier to spot in others (and be informed about by others).  Outsider test.  

Quote:How does our perception tie into our biases? 
Our biases -are- perceptions.  

Quote:Are our tools to measure the universe fallible due to bias? Why or why not?
All tools are fallible, bias or no bias..but here you'd be referring to cognitive biases.   We have self correcting systems for reducing their presence and effect.  I think they're sufficient.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I view bias as an inescapable human condition.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(May 9, 2018 at 11:00 am)Quick Wrote:
(May 9, 2018 at 10:54 am)LastPoet Wrote: "Gods" are an influence on us humans or are you shitting on me? Just look out of the window if you will. Who are you to tell me what is allowed or not in this forum? It's Tibs and he can nuke from orbit.

I'm not, and this is supposed to be a serious discussion.

If you look at my avatar, it looks pretty´dayum serious. Do you want a gag to put on me? Good luck trying. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Banned TED Talk: The Science Delusion - Rupert Sheldrake Angrboda 78 8571 July 27, 2018 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Let us go back to "cold" hard logic."Time" Mystic 75 11306 November 10, 2017 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Let's talk about morality EruptedCarcassBloat 0 693 October 18, 2016 at 9:20 am
Last Post: EruptedCarcassBloat
  Let's Say I Achieve "Meaning." What Do I Do Next? InquiringMind 51 8014 September 25, 2016 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Let's play with the concept of 'Supernatural' ErGingerbreadMandude 13 2106 March 22, 2016 at 4:01 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Let's get it on with Parmenides. I and I 10 1843 November 26, 2013 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  Aw, WTH....Let's Mix History and Philosophy Minimalist 2 1403 April 3, 2012 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Cognitive Dissonance & Cognitive Bias Anomalocaris 3 3055 March 30, 2011 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: theVOID