Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An argument against elective abortion
An argument against elective abortion
There are two tests an argument must satisfy in order to be persuasive: it must be valid and it must be sound. Validity is the primary or most important test because the truth of the premises has to logically guarantee the truth of the conclusion first, without which the truth of the premises is made irrelevant (by failing to justify the conclusion). This is why the other test, soundness, predicates itself on validity and is therefore the secondary test. In other words, an argument is valid whereby if the premises are true then the conclusion must be too, and it is sound whereby the argument is both valid and the premises actually are true. An argument that is valid and sound is therefore persuasive. [1] (Incidently, only arguments can be valid or invalid, not statements, and only statements can be true or false, not arguments. Validity pertains to reasoning, not propositions, while truth pertains to propositions, not reasoning.)

Having said that, I would like to present what appears to be a sound argument; i.e., it is logically valid and the premises are actually true. I have analyzed this argument inside and out and I cannot detect a single flaw in it. Although the conclusion is highly controversial, neither premise can be denied.

1. The deliberate killing of innocent humans is morally wrong.
2. Elective abortion is the deliberate killing of an innocent human.
3. Therefore, elective abortion is morally wrong.

Every term employed in this argument is carefully calculated and chosen. "Deliberate" is used in the sense of intentional, a conscious and informed act, premeditated (cf. accidental killing may be argued as not morally wrong). "Killing" obviously means to cause death, deprive of life, put to death. [2] "Innocent" was chosen to distinguish from cases where the deliberate killing of humans might not be morally wrong, such as soldiers on the battlefield (enemy combatants), the death penalty (convicted felons), shooting someone who breaks into your house (mortal threats), etc. "Human" should not be controversial, simply indicating any member of the species Homo sapiens. "Elective" is used to indicate abortions that are not medically necessary yet performed by the choice of the mother (cf. some abortions are medically necessary, e.g., an ectopic pregnancy). [3]

The argument is perfectly valid; i.e., if the premises are true then it is impossible for the conclusion to not be. [4] So the question is, "Are the premises actually true?" The second premise is a concrete matter of fact, semantically and genetically, which leaves us with the truth-value of the first premise. Is it not true? Who in their right mind would argue that it is false? That is, what scenario could such a person conceive under which the deliberate killing of innocent humans is not morally wrong? Some might suggest, "Abortion, of course," but since that is the very question it cannot be begged (petitio principii).

The only serious proposal I can think of is euthanasia, where the person exists in acute and incurable pain. While that is arguably a good exception, where the deliberate killing of such an innocent human could be argued as a moral good, it is not an effective undercutter to this argument for one significant reason: it would admit that over 99.9 percent of all elective abortions are morally wrong since (i) acute and incurable pain has never been cited in the literature as a reason given for performing an abortion, but more importantly, (ii) scientific evidence indicates that the neurological pathways that allow for the conscious perception of pain do not even function until the third trimester, [5] and according to the Alan Guttmacher Institute only 0.08 percent of abortions occur past 24 weeks and 92 percent of abortion providers will not perform the procedure in the third trimester. [6]

So the only real contention against the first premise still leaves the argument with a powerful punch: 99.9 percent of elective abortions are morally wrong. Those who are opposed to elective abortions can enjoy this argument, while those who support elective abortions are invited to attempt logically valid undercutters or defeaters to the argument.

Update: 5 Dec 2010

AGAINST THE FIRST PREMISE:

Euthanasia:
My original post already addressed this point, yet it seems hardly anyone noticed. So let me argue the point even more clearly and plainly. Again, although euthanasia is arguably an exception to the first premise, elective abortions fail to qualify under that exception. First, insofar as "involuntary euthanasia" is taking someone's life against their will, it is simply a fancy way of saying murder (involving the intent to kill or the knowledge that one's actions would result in death), especially when it is performed on those who are healthy.

Second, insofar as "non-voluntary euthanasia" is taking the life of someone incapable of giving their informed consent, it is arguably a moral good (e.g., someone on life support whose condition makes it unlikely they will come off it), but not when it is performed on those who are healthy or those expected to come off life support after a few months in good health.

Third, insofar as "voluntary euthanasia" is taking the life of someone who has given their informed consent (e.g., someone suffering incurable pain or facing a painful death), it is arguably a moral good, but the unborn are unable to express their will thus cannot qualify for voluntary (or even involuntary) euthanasia.

Morality: The argument does not depend on any one moral theory. It suffices that the reader simply has one. The only people who reject the first premise completely, that is, who think the deliberate killing of innocent humans is not morally wrong, are those who reject morality as either meaningless or irrelevant. This does not speak to those who reject the first premise only partially, indicating certain exceptions. But again, any exceptions to the first premise that elective abortions do not qualify under (e.g., euthanasia) means the argument holds.

AGAINST THE SECOND PREMISE:

Human:
It seems that some people accustomed to anti-abortion arguments are reading the second premise wrongly. Attention must be given to the fact that the argument is not predicated on humans as 'beings' or 'persons'; the one is a point of philosophy, the other is a point of law, but my argument is predicated on a point of science, that the unborn belong to the species Homo sapiens.

FOOTNOTES:

[1] An argument being persuasive does not guarantee that everyone will be persuaded by it, however. While a person might agree that the argument is logically valid and that the premises are indeed true, he or she may still reject the argument anyway. But that will be due to something being of more value to them than logic and truth, since they rejected the argument at the expense of both.

[2] "Life" is a property that distinguishes between that which has signaling and self-sustaining processes and that which does not, exhibiting such things as cellular organization, homeostasis, metabolism, growth, response to stimuli, etc. Something does not have life when either those biological functions have ceased (death) or when it never possessed those functions in the first place (inanimate).

[3] The vast majority of abortions performed are "not medically necessary," chosen for reasons such as being not ready, inadequate finances, would interfere with work or education, to avoid being single parent, relationship problems, not mature enough, etc., with only 7 percent of women citing health concerns for herself or the fetus, 1 percent citing rape, and less than half a percent citing incest. (See Finer, L. B. et al. (2005). Reasons U.S. women have abortions: quantitative and qualitative perspectives. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health 37(3):110–118; Sihvo, S. et al. (2003). Women's life cycle and abortion decision in unintended pregnancies. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 57(8):601–605; Torres, A. & Forrest, J. D. (1988). Why do women have abortions? Family Planning Perspectives 20(4):169–176.)

[4] The argument breaks down as so:

1. The deliberate killing of innocent humans (x) is morally wrong (p).
2. Elective abortion (y) is the deliberate killing of an innocent human (x).
3. Therefore, elective abortion (y) is morally wrong (p).

In other words,

1. All x is p.
2. All y is x.
3. Therefore, all y is p.

[5] Lee, S. J., Ralston, H. J., Drey, E. A., Partridge, J. C., & Rosen, M. A. (2005). Fetal pain. A systematic multidisciplinary review of the evidence. Journal of the American Medical Association 294:947–954.

[6] Jones, R. K., Zolna, M. S., Henshaw, S. K., & Finer, L. B. (2008). Abortion in the United States: Incidence and access to services. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health 40(1):6–16.
Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when
called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
(Oscar Wilde)
RE: An argument against elective abortion
I'm still not sure where I stand on abortion. Whilst your argument is indeed valid, the problem I find is with premise 2. You say it is correct semantically and genetically; I would argue that since we all vary genetically, using that as a basis isn't that powerful of an argument. Semantically, it depends on who you talk to. Most pro-choice people would argue that an embryo isn't properly considered a human being until it can survive without a host (the mother); most pro-life people would argue it's a human from conception.

Like I said, I'm still undecided. It would certainly be better to encourage people to use abstinence or to practice safe sex, but if a mother gets raped, or will be put in danger by having the baby, or even if she is unable to support a baby financially, there needs to be a better way. A lot of pro-life arguments support the idea of a raped woman or poor woman having the baby and then giving it away for adoption, but I do not believe they fully consider the full consequences of those ideas. In the case of rape, it would be the mental suffering of the mother; having to carry the child of her attacker. In the poverty case, it would be the monetary support needed to even go through a pregnancy (which is only worsened if the woman has to give up her job because of it).
(December 2, 2010 at 6:08 am)Arcanus Wrote: There are two tests an argument must satisfy in order to be persuasive: it must be valid and it must be sound. Validity is the primary or most important test because the truth of the premises has to logically guarantee the truth of the conclusion first, without which the truth of the premises is made irrelevant (by failing to justify the conclusion). This is why the other test, soundness, predicates itself on validity and is therefore the secondary test. In other words, an argument is valid whereby if the premises are true then the conclusion must be too, and it is sound whereby the argument is both valid and the premises actually are true. An argument that is valid and sound is therefore persuasive. [1] (Incidently, only arguments can be valid or invalid, not statements, and only statements can be true or false, not arguments. Validity pertains to reasoning, not propositions, while truth pertains to propositions, not reasoning.)

Not sure persuasion necessitates validity or soundness, either that or the sentence "I was persuaded by a bad argument" makes no sense, other than that Okay.

Quote:Having said that, I would like to present what appears to be a sound argument; i.e., it is logically valid and the premises are actually true. I have analyzed this argument inside and out and I cannot detect a single flaw in it. Although the conclusion is highly controversial, neither premise can be denied.

1. The deliberate killing of innocent humans is morally wrong.
2. Elective abortion is the deliberate killing of an innocent human.
3. Therefore, elective abortion is morally wrong.

And what is your proof for 1? Euthenasia for instance is the deliberate killing of an inocent human, yet not necessarily morally wrong, in fact I would argue that it's morally permissible.

Also, this could quite quickly become a debate about "what does it mean to be human" thus you'll need to clarify that. Assuming that you just mean "homo sapein" I would have to ask why does this argument stop at humans? What makes humanity special?

If humanity is "special" because of an attribute the argument would become something like "The deliberate killing of a creature who has attribute x is morally wrong" and then we would need to see if the fetus has this attribute.

You would also need to justify why the presence of that attribute(s) makes the deliberate killing of the innocent creature wrong.

Quote:The argument is perfectly valid; i.e., if the premises are true then it is impossible for the conclusion to not be. [4] So the question is, "Are the premises actually true?" The second premise is a concrete matter of fact, semantically and genetically, which leaves us with the truth-value of the first premise. Is it not true?

Is turning off the life support of a person unlikely to regain any normality not the deliberate killing of an innocent human?

I don't buy the claim that just because the killing is of a creature who is a homo sapein it is wrong, for me the values emerge from a certain type of mental functioning. Is it wrong to kill a being who has no values? I would argue not.

That aside, If there are any exceptions to 1 then it is not necessarily true that the deliberate killing of an inocent human is wrong, so your argument is not sound in that respect.

It might be good to address these concerns before I respond to the rest.
Pro-abortion.
Some women are not emotionally or physically capable of being mothers.

Not all contraception is 100% effective and abstinence is an impossibility for normal libidos.

So abortion is an option it should not however be the first option.

I'm sure for most women it is a hard decision for them to make, one that could affect them for the rest of their life.
For the others were its just another form of contraception, should they really be parents?

Maybe it would've been better if baby ps mother had not decided to keep him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Baby_P

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

1. The deliberate killing of innocent human being is morally wrong

- argumentum ad populum

2. Elective abortion is deliberate killing of innocent human being

- presupposition fallacy
- equivocation fallacy
- continuum fallacy

3. Therefore, elective abortion is wrong

- conditions for the conclusion do not stand.

Quote:1. The deliberate killing of innocent humans is morally wrong.

So why did your fucking 'god' do it?

Quote:7:4 "For after seven more days, I will send rain on the land forty days and forty nights; and I will blot out from the face of the land every living thing that I have made."
(December 2, 2010 at 8:25 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Some women are not emotionally or physically capable of being mothers.

Not all contraception is 100% effective and abstinence is an impossibility for normal libidos.

So abortion is an option it should not however be the first option.

I'm sure for most women it is a hard decision for them to make, one that could affect them for the rest of their life.
For the others were its just another form of contraception, should they really be parents?

Maybe it would've been better if baby ps mother had not decided to keep him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Baby_P

A couple of excerpts from the wiki page regarding Baby P (Peter):

On 3 August 2007, an ambulance was called and Peter was found in his cot, blue and clad only in a nappy.[15] After attempts at resuscitation, he was taken to North Middlesex hospital with his mother but was pronounced dead at 12:20 pm.[16] A post-mortem revealed he had swallowed a tooth after being punched. Other injuries included a broken back, broken ribs, having the tips of fingers sliced off, and nails pulled out.[17]

Connelly (Peter's mother) was ordered to be held indefinitely, until "deemed no longer to be a risk to the public and in particular to small children", with a minimum term of five years. Barker (Connelly's boyfriend) was sentenced to life imprisonment for the rape, with a minimum sentence of ten years, and a 12-year sentence for his role in the death of Peter, to run concurrently. Owen (Barker's brother and accomplice) was also jailed indefinitely, and would serve at least three years.[23]

The good news for these child molesters/murderers is that as long as they have accepted Jesus as their personal savior, their "sin" will be forgiven and they will get to spend all eternity in heaven.

"If there are gaps they are in our knowledge, not in things themselves." Chapman Cohen

"Shit-apples don't fall far from the shit-tree, Randy." Mr. Lahey
Others have ripped your argument to shreds. Next please.
One thing I would like to see established is the definition of morally wrong here, the first presmise is that killing innocent humans is morally wrong but, what if killing a single innocent human could save the life of dozens of other innocent humans? To some the morally right choice is the one that causes the most overall happiness. This is shown in the "should you kill the fat man" scenario.

I don't personally see it that way but, we need to decide what makes an act moral or immoral before we can put out a blanket statement like the first premise in a logical statement.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  J.J. Thompson's Violinist Thought Experiment Concerning Abortion vulcanlogician 29 1695 January 3, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  [Serious] An Argument Against Hedonistic Moral Realism SenseMaker007 25 2951 June 19, 2019 at 7:21 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Argument against Intelligent Design Jrouche 27 3136 June 2, 2019 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  After birth abortion? Mystical 109 9353 August 19, 2018 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 8028 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 13750 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 68412 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  2 Birds, 1 Stone: An argument against free will and Aquinas' First Way Mudhammam 1 1153 February 20, 2016 at 8:02 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Abortion -cpr on the fetus? answer-is-42 153 16525 July 5, 2015 at 12:50 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  An argument against God Mystic 37 8796 October 20, 2014 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest