Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toys 'R' Us have gone Ker Plunk!
Toys 'R' Us have gone Ker Plunk!
It's probably old news to some because I heard on the news that Toys 'R' Us in Britain and the US has already unsuccessfully tried to restructure ... Now it's happening here. 700 jobs and 44 stores to close ... under receivership as of yesterday. Sad day indeed.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Toys 'R' Us have gone Ker Plunk!
I've seen a Toys R Us store on my way to and from school with big "going out of business" signs and a Babies R Us near my local Walmart with a similar sign. I did not think the firm was going under.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Perhaps you'll find this interesting?

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/artic...toys-r-us/

Quote:What Went Wrong: The Demise of Toys R Us
From the article:

Quote:Toys R Us has failed to innovate its business model, incorporate technology or adapt to changing consumer behavior.

It's the same thing Darwin discovered in the animal world. The species that survives adapts to changing conditions or even better, exploits them to its benefit. Those that do not, die.

I'm an an old fart and computer nerd so these examples may not ring a bell with most:

Word Star
Word Perfect
Lotus Software
Novell
Harvard Graphics
D-Base

These were giants in the Microsoft DOS world of the 1980s. But they were slow to respond to (or outright ignored) Microsoft Windows. They were rapidly swept (perhaps "bulldozed" would be a better word) under the rug.

Competition does that. It's cruel and unforgivable but that's how progress happens. Perform or die.

Evolution is the ultimate blind god of justice.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I can't say I'm too surprised. While online retailers took away some of their business, the article Min posted is right - their stores are way outdated. Many shoppers expect an experience now when they're in a store not just rows of merchandise piled sky-high with no customer service.

Side note - I went to Toys R Us to buy an Etch A Sketch a few Christmases ago and the teenage clerk I asked for help didn't know what the hell it was!

I also never went there to shop with Sofia in tow, ever. Didn't want to deal with a begging kid. Now that they're closing down, she just told me in a sad voice a few days ago that she's never shopped at Toys R Us and now she never will lol.

-Teresa
I still use Word Perfect for certain things.
(May 22, 2018 at 10:08 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I still use Word Perfect for certain things.

Lol, for what?

Don't get me wrong here. In my judgement, "social media" is a giant step backwards. Dedicated message forums like this are far superior than groups in FaceBook, IMO. So "progress" does not always proceed in the right direction. But what in the world does Word Perfect offer that a Windows-based text editor does not?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Which old fart here remembers Quatro Pro! I quite liked it...

This is quickly becoming an old farts reminiscent thread! lol!

Get off my fake lawn!

Cranky
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 22, 2018 at 11:15 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Which old fart here remembers Quatro Pro! I quite liked it...

This is quickly becoming an old farts reminiscent thread! lol!

Get off my fake lawn!

Cranky

I do.  My wife used to use it.

I find Word Perfect superior to Word for making mailing labels or printing envelopes.
(May 22, 2018 at 11:15 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Which old fart here remembers Quatro Pro! I quite liked it...

Cranky

Never used it myself but I remember it.

The point is that evolution (natural or artificial) doesn't give a shit about our preferences or our nostalgia. It goes with what works at the time in total disregard for what anyone of us thinks.

Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roe v. Wade is gone. Jehanne 577 43340 March 4, 2024 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  HBO removes Gone with the wind. ignoramus 156 6305 June 29, 2020 at 9:56 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  The WLB Should Have Gone To The Correspondents Dinner Minimalist 0 616 April 28, 2018 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Where no wiener should have gone. brewer 49 6552 August 15, 2017 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  A new low for DAESH : bombs inside childrens toys ReptilianPeon 6 988 November 22, 2015 at 1:55 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  The Thrill Is Gone, BB King Dies 89 Brian37 21 3102 May 16, 2015 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: Exian
  Oh Arkansas, you've gone too far SteelCurtain 11 2329 February 16, 2015 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Aisha