Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transgender kids’ brains resemble their gender identity, not their biological sex
Transgender kids’ brains resemble their gender identity, not their biological sex
Quote:A new study led by a Belgian neurologist found that brain activity in Transgender brain scans promised as study shows structural differences in people with gender dysphoria.

Julie Bakker of the University of Liege led the research, which involved MRI scans of 160 transgender people diagnosed with gender dysphoria who were children and teenagers. The scans also measures brain microstructures using a technique called diffusion tensor imaging.

Their brain scans were compared to people of comparable age who were not diagnosed with gender dysphoria. The study found that transgender boys’ brain activity resembled cisgender boys’, and transgender girls’ brains resembled cisgender girls’.

The researchers said that their technique could be used to help transgender children at an earlier age.

“Although more research is needed, we now have evidence that sexual differentiation of the brain differs in young people with GD, as they show functional brain characteristics that are typical of their desired gender,” said Bakker.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/05/tran...gical-sex/
RE: Transgender kids’ brains resemble their gender identity, not their biological sex
Waiting for the "so it is a mental illness" crap.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Transgender kids’ brains resemble their gender identity, not their biological sex
The great thing about this research is that it is done on children before they go on HRT, which one could argue could have skewed the results.
There have been studies which claim this in the past;  the article seems to not indicate what is new in the study, which makes this any different. Previously, when looking up differences between male and female brains, it seems that most scientist where fairly adamant, that there where not definitive differences between the male and female brain, but perhaps some general rules of thumb, no different than statistical data comparing height or muscle trends between men and women. 

When dealing with the subject apart from gender dysphoria, it seems that most scientists would not claim that there was any distinctive difference  from a physical point of view between men and women that given a brain scan; they could tell you if they where male or female apart from an only slightly educated guess no better than if they where given the patients height.

I would look for more information about the study.  Would they be willing to do a blind study/test?   The study may be new, but the claim isn't.  And previous claims before seem to be based on bad science; driven more by an agenda.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
As though the theistic perspective isn't driven by a biased, unscientific agenda. Hehe
(May 23, 2018 at 8:26 am)Kit Wrote: As though the theistic perspective isn't driven by a biased, unscientific agenda.   Hehe

At times, and the same could be said for the atheistic perspective (at times).   Neither of which makes didley squat of difference concerning the subject in the OP.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(May 23, 2018 at 8:35 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: At times, and the same could be said for the atheistic perspective (at times).   Neither of which makes didley squat of difference concerning the subject in the OP.

When it affects your opinion on a scientific perspective, of course it does.
(May 23, 2018 at 8:38 am)Kit Wrote:
(May 23, 2018 at 8:35 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: At times, and the same could be said for the atheistic perspective (at times).   Neither of which makes didley squat of difference concerning the subject in the OP.

When it affects your opinion on a scientific perspective, of course it does.

So, anything that you don't want to hear is biased.... OK.... I won't waste my time.

I would still be interested to see if these scientist would be willing to do a blind study.   And;  would they be willing to tell someone who claims to have gender dysphoria, that they are not?
(May 23, 2018 at 8:20 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: There have been studies which claim this in the past;  the article seems to not indicate what is new in the study, which makes this any different. Previously, when looking up differences between male and female brains, it seems that most scientist where fairly adamant, that there where not definitive differences between the male and female brain, but perhaps some general rules of thumb, no different than statistical data comparing height or muscle trends between men and women. 

When dealing with the subject apart from gender dysphoria, it seems that most scientists would not claim that there was any distinctive difference  from a physical point of view between men and women that given a brain scan; they could tell you if they where male or female apart from an only slightly educated guess no better than if they where given the patients height.

I would look for more information about the study.  Would they be willing to do a blind study/test?   The study may be new, but the claim isn't.  And previous claims before seem to be based on bad science; driven more by an agenda.

There is a difference between saying that male and female brains are very similar, and saying that there are similarities found in the brains of one gender and this is consistent with the claims of trans people identifying with that gender.

The former is like arguing that there is no such thing as biological sex because people who claim to be men or women each have arms, legs, kidneys, heads, 23 chromosones etc. The latter is like saying that biological sex does exist because almost all women have ovaries.

Brain studies are typically not like biological sex where you can specifically point to an organ not owned by the other gender. But even with biological sex, there is still an overlap with a lot of people being intersex who otherwise do share all the other features of one sex. For example the chomosomes on one gender and the sex organs of another.

Generally you are right to think of it in terms of similar to patient's height. Men and women have the same parts, but some parts are more or less developed than the other gender. In the same way, that men and women generally have the same organs and the few that are different are generally grown from the same tissue to a greater or lesser extent. For example breasts are larger for women but the penis is longer than the clitoris.

You can get tall women and short men. But you can't tell the difference between men and women just based on height. You need many more variables. If you plot all the variables on a graph then you end up with two distinct clusters that have some overlap in the middle. It is not possible to draw a line through the graph whereby each member of the population is clearly in one cluster or the other. This applies to both biological sex and also to gender identity. So you need to look at commonalities.

There are now enough studies to show that there are definite commonalities with male brains which are different to the commonalities of female brains and those of trans people are in the cluster that matches their gender identity. These commonalities are typically how one area is more or less developed in the brain of one gender than the other.

And it is now generally possible to be able to tell someone's gender identity based on brain scan alone.
So... what is their error rate?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Raising Gender Normative Children Acrobat 8 711 February 15, 2019 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  [Serious] Please convince me gender is binary tackattack 189 12214 February 13, 2019 at 12:22 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  They shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks vorlon13 13 1441 December 22, 2017 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Strep Throat in Kids/PANDAS brewer 4 1866 June 16, 2017 at 8:35 am
Last Post: brewer
  The Biological You Foxaèr 20 5091 June 12, 2017 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Special Report on Sexuality and Gender by New Atlantis Neo-Scholastic 51 13461 October 18, 2016 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Way to go CA. Vaccinate those kids! brewer 1 771 July 1, 2016 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Sex Change Fake Messiah 6 1887 December 12, 2015 at 11:54 pm
Last Post: henryp
  When is sex unhealthy BrokenQuill92 31 4904 July 29, 2015 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: MTL
  Origins of sex discovered: Side-by-side copulation Dolorian 4 1583 October 21, 2014 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb