Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not For Fundie Assholes It Isn't!
Not For Fundie Assholes It Isn't!
https://simplearchaeology.wordpress.com/...implified/

Quote:When first encountering radiocarbon dating (also commonly called C-14 or RC dating) it can be a little bit daunting. However, when the method is explained it is actually a very easy concept to understand.

They dread it the way a vampire dreads sunlight!
RE: Not For Fundie Assholes It Isn't!
They have this love/hate thing for science. Just more cognitive dissonance.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
They also think all radiometric dating is C14 dating, mostly unaware of the others.

Most amusingly, they read about various gotchas which can totally invalidate different types of radiometric dating and think they have discovered the holy grail of apologists - the discovery that radiometric dating is flawed. Of course, scientists were the first to be aware of problems needing to be corrected for and the limitations of each radiometric dating type.

The vampire/sunlight analogy is apt because this technology really is a stake through the heart of young-earth apologists.

The newer Cosmos series episode 7: The Clean Room tells a fascinating story of how radiometric dating was used to finally nail down the age of Earth. If you search around, you should be able to find places where you can watch it. Not only did Clair Cameron Patterson discover the age of our planet using uranium-lead dating, he also discovered in the process that we were being poisoned by leaded gasoline. One of my all-time favorite science stories.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(May 25, 2018 at 10:49 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: They also think all radiometric dating is C14 dating, mostly unaware of the others.

Most amusingly, they read about various gotchas which can totally invalidate different types of radiometric dating and think they have discovered the holy grail of apologists - the discovery that radiometric dating is flawed. Of course, scientists were the first to be aware of problems needing to be corrected for and the limitations of each radiometric dating type.

The vampire/sunlight analogy is apt because this technology really is a stake through the heart of young-earth apologists.

The newer Cosmos series episode 7: The Clean Room tells a fascinating story of how radiometric dating was used to finally nail down the age of Earth. If you search around, you should be able to find places where you can watch it. Not only did Clair Cameron Patterson discover the age of our planet using uranium-lead dating, he also discovered in the process that we were being poisoned by leaded gasoline. One of my all-time favorite science stories.

When I taught physics, I used to draw the whole decay cycle from uranium to lead on the board and have the students copy it into their notes. Depending on the isotope of uranium, there are several paths, and we can tell which isotope the lead originated from, based on the isotope of lead. Fun fact- anything above iron in the Periodic Table was created in the explosion of a star, at least a nova. The school I taught at (a Waldorf school) had as part of the curriculum that we were made of silver and gold (as star stuff), but they frowned on calling a sun a nuclear reactor. Fuckin' weirdos.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(May 25, 2018 at 11:19 pm)Fireball Wrote:
(May 25, 2018 at 10:49 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: They also think all radiometric dating is C14 dating, mostly unaware of the others.

The school I taught at (a Waldorf school) had as part of the curriculum that we were made of silver and gold (as star stuff), but they frowned on calling a sun a nuclear reactor. Fuckin' weirdos.

I'll say.

People wouldn't think of going to an auto mechanic to get their teeth cleaned or call a tax-preparer to fix the leak in their shower valve but for some reason, they look for their science information in the strangest places. Some dumb-ass, Republican senator from Oklahoma knows more about climate change than someone with a doctorate in a related area from MIT or Cal-tech.

Stupid fucks.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yeah, dating rocks is a real voodoo

[Image: 7r2vAg5z_o.jpg]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
The blurb under "Radiometric Rock Dating", about shedding electrons is completely wrong. The Actinide series (starts at Actinium) all decay by alpha particle emission, which is a Helium nucleus. "Shedding electrons" is also not beta decay, which involves emission of an electron (and a neutrino) from the nucleus, which then raises the atomic number by one. An example would be Carbon 14 undergoing beta decay and becoming Nitrogen 14.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's Not "Hebrew" Assholes. Minimalist 0 635 October 23, 2015 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Well This Isn't Good Minimalist 5 1349 January 27, 2015 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis