Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Colorado Baker
Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Colorado Baker
The Supreme Court ruled in favor of a Colorado Baker who refused to sell a wedding cake to a same sex couple...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli...052989001/

EDIT: just heard on the news that the SCOTUS decision was actually a 7 - 2 vote with Ginsberg and Sotomayor dissenting.
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
RE: Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Colorado Baker
At least I know to boycott that baker. Wink
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(June 4, 2018 at 10:47 am)A Theist Wrote: The Supreme Court ruled in favor of a Colorado Baker who refused to sell a wedding cake to a same sex couple...

EDIT: just heard on the news that the SCOTUS decision was actually a 7 - 2 vote with Ginsberg and Sotomayor dissenting.

And the backslide continues. 

Fine, if all laws are equal, then the sane should refuse service to right wing asshole bigots.
(June 4, 2018 at 10:47 am)A Theist Wrote: The Supreme Court ruled in favor of a Colorado Baker who refused to sell a wedding cake to a same sex couple...

Yep, definitely need more women on that court.
Apparently the ruling was more about the treatment of the baker by the courts rather than actual discrimination. SCOTUS didn’t think Colorado gave him a fair trial, which is why the decision was 7-2 and not 5-4. Their decision actually had little to do with gay rights or selling a cake, it seems:

Quote:Kagan's concurring opinion is helpful for what it suggests the court's holding is: Colorado can protect gay people, and therefore "can treat a baker who discriminates based on sexual orientation differently from a baker who does not" -- but only if the state's decisions "are not infected by religious hostility or bias."
Shock news! Supreme court full of Abrahamic theists in a proto-theocracy rule in favour of a religionist who wants to discriminate against a minority.
Yup a dark day for progress in society and a preservation irrational bigotry .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Quote:but only if the state's decisions "are not infected by religious hostility or bias."

While that is a correct interpretation of the actual decision I am left wondering how a state's decisions on issues which are inherently infected by religious hostility and bias can help but address such hostility or bias?
(June 4, 2018 at 11:30 am)Tiberius Wrote: Apparently the ruling was more about the treatment of the baker by the courts rather than actual discrimination. SCOTUS didn’t think Colorado gave him a fair trial, which is why the decision was 7-2 and not 5-4. Their decision actually had little to do with gay rights or selling a cake, it seems:

Quote:Kagan's concurring opinion is helpful for what it suggests the court's holding is: Colorado can protect gay people, and therefore "can treat a baker who discriminates based on sexual orientation differently from a baker who does not" -- but only if the state's decisions "are not infected by religious hostility or bias."
Which means the broader question has yet to be answered
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Now the bigots are free to post at least one of their favorite signs =
Wednesday, April 6, 2016
No Gays Allowed: The Rebirth of Jim Crow and Segregation

https://phoenixjustice.blogspot.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HIV drug mandate violates religious freedom, judge rules zebo-the-fat 6 1005 September 9, 2022 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Leaked Supreme Court Decision signals majority set to overturn Roe v. Wade Cecelia 234 17119 June 7, 2022 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Colorado shooting, 5 dead. brewer 0 290 December 28, 2021 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Supreme Court To Take Up Right to Carry Firearm Outside Home onlinebiker 57 2202 April 29, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Court Ordered Quarantine brewer 2 445 October 24, 2019 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Supreme Court Considers Mandatory Govt Funding of Religious Education EgoDeath 8 756 September 24, 2019 at 10:37 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Fed Court, "hand over 8yrs of your finances" Brian37 15 1003 May 22, 2019 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, Round 2 Angrboda 330 17153 August 23, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Court of Appeals Tells Alabama Shitheads to "Fuck Off!" Minimalist 6 1120 August 23, 2018 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Federal Judge rules "No fundamental right to literacy" Cecelia 69 8560 July 2, 2018 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: Fireball