Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, Round 2
Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, Round 2
Baker claims religious persecution again — this time after denying cake for transgender woman

Quote:Add another layer to the legal drama surrounding the Colorado baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple — and took his case all the way to the Supreme Court.
Jack Phillips, owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop in Lakewood, Colo., on Tuesday filed another federal lawsuit against the state alleging religious discrimination.

This time, the cake at the center of the controversy was not for a wedding. In June 2017, Colorado lawyer Autumn Scardina called Masterpiece Cakeshop to request a custom cake that was blue on the outside and pink on the inside.

The occasion, Scardina told the bakery’s employees, was to celebrate her birthday, as well as the seventh anniversary of the day she had come out as transgender.

Masterpiece Cakeshop ultimately refused Scardina’s order on religious grounds.

“Phillips declined to create the cake with the blue-and-pink design because it would have celebrated messages contrary to his religious belief that sex — the status of being male or female — is given by God, is biologically determined, is not determined by perceptions or feelings, and cannot be chosen or changed,” the complaint stated.

More than a year later, on June 28, the Colorado Civil Rights Commission ruled that there was probable cause that Phillips had discriminated against Scardina on the basis of gender identity.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
RE: Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, Round 2
All he has to do is hang up a no coloreds sign and he'll have hit the trifecta, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I wonder if he bakes wedding cakes for people who are on their second marriage. After all, divorce is expressly forbidden in the NT, and any woman who remarries commits adultery, so says Jesus.

Why do I get the feeling he only takes a moral stand against the queers and weirdos?
(August 16, 2018 at 8:39 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: After all, divorce is expressly forbidden in the NT, and any woman who remarries commits adultery, so says Jesus.

Yep, once she dumps her hubby or gets dumped by him, that bitch is His.
(August 16, 2018 at 8:39 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: I wonder if he bakes wedding cakes for people who are on their second marriage. After all, divorce is expressly forbidden in the NT, and any woman who remarries commits adultery, so says Jesus.

Why do I get the feeling he only takes a moral stand against the queers and weirdos?

I doubt that people ordering a cake for a second marriage bother to tell him that it's for a second marriage.

This person went out of the way to say it had to do with being transgender. They're trying to stir up shit.
(August 16, 2018 at 8:57 am)alpha male Wrote:
(August 16, 2018 at 8:39 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: I wonder if he bakes wedding cakes for people who are on their second marriage. After all, divorce is expressly forbidden in the NT, and any woman who remarries commits adultery, so says Jesus.

I doubt that people ordering a cake for a second marriage bother to tell him that it's for a second marriage.

This person went out of the way to say it had to do with being transgender. They're trying to stir up shit.

Even if so, the basic questions remain.  And as Christians and others are intentionally creating test cases to determine the extent of law, I don't see what your actual objection here is.  Are you saying that in order for their complaint to be legitimate it had to have been purely unintentional?  Because that's just not gonna fly.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(August 16, 2018 at 8:57 am)alpha male Wrote:

Some people will tell you their PIN.  Rolleyes
(August 16, 2018 at 8:57 am)alpha male Wrote: I doubt that people ordering a cake for a second marriage bother to tell him that it's for a second marriage.

Yes, because being true to one's self is always stirring up shit.
Whereas filing serial lawsuits...isn't. Wink

I really can't get why anyone would want to do this to their religion. God commands that they discriminate? They can't be faithful to their religion without running afoul of state and federal discrimination laws? Well..if they say so, I guess...but what kind of crap religion, and crap god... is that?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 16, 2018 at 9:07 am)Khemikal Wrote: Whereas filing serial lawsuits...isn't. Wink

I really can't get why anyone would want to do this to their religion.  God commands that they discriminate?  They can't be faithful to their religion without running afoul of state and federal discrimination laws?  Well..if they say so, I guess...but what kind of crap religion, and crap god... is that?

They only regret that God can't be there personally to look down on them.  So those good bakers are only being snooty on God's behalf.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gog Magog civil war with the west WinterHold 37 2070 July 20, 2023 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Women's Rights Lek 314 18463 April 25, 2023 at 5:22 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Colorado shooting, 5 dead. brewer 0 291 December 28, 2021 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: brewer
  New Zealand - you gotta be this old to have rights. onlinebiker 123 5360 December 13, 2021 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  J.K. Rowling had to return civil rights award Foxaèr 68 4962 October 16, 2020 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Rank Stranger
  [Serious] G-20 leaders, don’t forget the women’s rights advocates rotting in Saudi prisons WinterHold 47 2163 September 23, 2020 at 6:26 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ghanem Almasarir, Saudi Human Rights Activist attacked in London WinterHold 3 609 October 12, 2018 at 4:02 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Fuck Your Property Rights, You Scumbag Bastard Minimalist 0 491 October 1, 2018 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Colorado Baker A Theist 371 46974 June 14, 2018 at 2:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Did civil war begin in Saudi Arabia? WinterHold 6 691 April 22, 2018 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Minimalist