Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 12:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazing resources from Wikipedia.
Amazing resources from Wikipedia.
With, some samples to discuss!  First,

Quote:According to some, Mark's geography was not always accurate, for example Mark 7:31, describing Jesus going from Tyre to the Sea of Galilee by way of Sidon (20 miles farther north and on the Mediterranean coast). The author of Mark did not seem to know that one would not go through Sidon to go from Tyre to the Sea of Galilee, and there was no road from Sidon to the Sea of Galilee in the 1st century, only one from Tyre.[81][82] Catholic scholars have interpreted this passage as non-problematic since Jesus would have traveled in a wide circle, first north, then east and south.[83]

Historical_reliability_of_the_Gospels

And, Luke:

Quote:In Acts 21:38, a Roman asks Paul if he was 'the Egyptian' who led a band of 'sicarii' (literally: 'dagger-men') into the desert. In both The Jewish Wars[98] and Antiquities of the Jews,[99] Josephus talks about Jewish nationalist rebels called sicarii directly prior to talking about The Egyptian leading some followers to the Mount of Olives. Richard Pervo believes that this demonstrates that Luke used Josephus as a source and mistakenly thought that the sicarii were followers of The Egyptian.[100][101]

Historical reliability of the Acts of the Apostles
RE: Amazing resources from Wikipedia.
It's just a bunch of revisionist "history", with religion thrown in. (Not Wiki)
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The thing about Wikipedia (in my opinion, positive) is that minority viewpoints are allowed to be expressed; still, it is clear from the articles that very few scholars are inerrantists, who believe the Bible to be "without error".  Certainly, no mainstream scholar at the 3K+ 4-year institutions in the United States holds to such a POV.
I’m just guessing, but you wouldn’t believe my motorcycle trips either, by this reasoning (or work trips for that matter).

This seems like a minor and meaningless quibble, which is easily explained.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(June 4, 2018 at 10:51 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I’m just guessing, but you wouldn’t believe my motorcycle trips either, by this reasoning (or work trips for that matter).

If you said that you were abducted by aliens, I just might believe.

Smile
(June 4, 2018 at 11:00 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(June 4, 2018 at 10:51 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I’m just guessing, but you wouldn’t believe my motorcycle trips either, by this reasoning (or work trips for that matter).

If you said that you were abducted by aliens, I just might believe.

Smile

That seems more like a dodge and doesn’t address the topic.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(June 4, 2018 at 11:04 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(June 4, 2018 at 11:00 pm)Jehanne Wrote: If you said that you were abducted by aliens, I just might believe.

Smile

22 Credibilty Street.
Dying to live, living to die.

You have a point.  Perhaps like most men fucking jesus simply wouldn't ask for directions?
(June 4, 2018 at 11:04 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(June 4, 2018 at 11:00 pm)Jehanne Wrote: If you said that you were abducted by aliens, I just might believe.

Smile

Clear evidence is presented in both of my OP links that demonstrate, beyond any doubt whatsoever, that the Gospels and Acts contain historical errors.
(June 4, 2018 at 11:18 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(June 4, 2018 at 11:04 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: That seems more like a dodge and doesn’t address the topic.

Clear evidence is presented in both of my OP links that demonstrate, beyond any doubt whatsoever, that the Gospels and Acts contain historical errors.

Perhaps, but I was commenting on the example that you chose to post. If you had a better argument (edit -clear evidence), it’s curious why you didn’t go with that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Amazing Coincidence, or Miracle? Castiel 79 17937 December 4, 2014 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Why Wikipedia is Better Than God Jonah 12 2845 October 31, 2010 at 4:54 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake