Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A 17 year friend is dying
A 17 year friend is dying
My best friend Bob whom until his stroke a few years ago is dying and just got word from his sister he doesn't have much time left. He is the guy I went to Australia to visit. Bob taught me a lot, and gave me the confidence to debate theists. We talked just about every single day on Skype up until his stroke. I met him online in 01. He is a great guy, accepted me the way I am. I loved his stories of his travels. Reminds me of when Higgins got into his long stories with Magnum. He is a awesome photographer, or he could have had a career in that. He is an engineer but his travel photographs are so well done they could be in National Geographic, or in the Smithsonian. I brought home 3 of them and they are hanging on my wall.

We also did two internet radio shows together. Mine, which was called "Did I think that, or say it." which he was my co- host. Another was "BJ's and BS" which was 4 hosts, Bob, John, Brian(me) and Silky <-Our female host.

Bob wasn't the type to be quick with the jokes, he was more of a straight guy but when he did pop you with a joke, he'd knock you out not seeing it coming. 

I love you buddy. I miss you so much.
RE: A 17 year friend is dying
I'm so sorry... Sad
"Alone is what I have. Alone protects me." 
“I may be on the side of the angels but don’t think for one second that I am one of them.”
“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existence. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery each day."
Brian, how old is he now? Married? Where abouts in Aus?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Tragic!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(June 30, 2018 at 3:11 am)ignoramus Wrote: Brian, how old is he now? Married? Where abouts in Aus?

He was never married, he lives in Brisbane. His brother and his brother's wife were supporting him up until his stroke a few years ago, then they had to put him in a nursing home. He's in his mid to late 70s.
So sorry mate Sad
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
I’m sorry to hear this Sad
Was able to talk to him last night, his sister held the phone to his ear. He couldn't talk but she said he was blinking. Being realistic, maybe he understood, but in the late stages the body can be simply reactionary. I saw that the last couple days of my mom's life. 

His sister is going to call me again tonight, but she lives on an island and has to take a ferry to get to the mainland. One thing I feared was my mom going in the middle of the night when I was at home. She went in the middle of the day, but still. I fear more for his sister because I know that fear of not being there.
Bob passed away overnight, their daytime, I was asleep.
 The Murder Of Essence, By Brian37(And ode to my late friend Bob)(AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB and @brianrrs37 on twitter)

Oh what have you wrought 
Explaining Dawkins book
Taking down my hero
You killed Plato

In "The Greatest Show"
I got confused, didn't know
Dawkins criticism of
Essence 

Then you sir Bob
Took him down
Explaind Dawkins criticism
Explained  why Plato was wrong

That there is no
"Essence of"
You cannot dream of
Perfection or utopias

Utopias people still chase
In religoin and politics
Made us more divided
You murdered "Essence" Bob

And now you have gone
Back to the atoms of the stars
That exploded long ago
To become the man I know

If there were an "Essence"
It would be the grace of your friendship
You've gone back to the universe
We were happy you were in it

No need of perfect rabbits
No need of perfect chairs
No need of perfect politics
No need of perfect gods

I had a friend in you Bob
It's all anyone ever needs
Though you're no longer here
You'll always be in me

You murderd my illusion
Of Plato's horrible guess
I am happy to have known you
To be able to call you my friend

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Went to my 1st concert of the year. AkiraTheViking 5 525 July 4, 2023 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  What you doing for the New Year 2021? Foxaèr 13 1156 December 31, 2020 at 8:58 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What's everyone doing for New Year's Eve? Dundee 23 1272 December 30, 2020 at 11:27 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Encounter with a 19 year old man child theist AEnbieMFerWithAM16 19 2053 September 9, 2018 at 7:27 am
Last Post: Jehanne