Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Encounter with a 19 year old man child theist
Encounter with a 19 year old man child theist
Greetings. I've know theists all my life. I've had small talk with theists about my atheism and they mostly didn't care very much. I can see why; It's mostly pointless to argue about it when they better things to do. However, this time, rather recently, in fact, I had a real-life encounter with a crazy theist. He and I were in the same class through 8-10 grade when I was a teenager and this topic wasn't brought up until my junior year. 

I told him I was an atheist. He said in response "Why don't you believe in God?" I told him that I see no good reason to believe in such things. He then told me "You need to believe in God." I said, "Why?" He told the usual theist response, "He loves you", "He knows", etc. I pressed for how he knew that. It would always (like Clockwork) end in "Because I believe it." This started a firestorm. In the conversations afterward, he spilled his beliefs on me. He believes a lot of strange things. I won't list them here, for the sake of your time, but I a list on Pastebin. Be warned, however, you will be amazed or terrified: 
https://pastebin.com/K2gABvEH

This continued all year, until summer vacation, where I basically said "Fuck you." to him. I was so pissed at that point. He was so willfully ignorant and childish that it made me rage. This school year, I tried to establish good relations with him and teach him about science, but that failed utterly. He couldn't even agree on definitions, that's how willfully ignorant he was and is. His MO is still much the same, and I eventually gave up on him. He's basically a 9-year-old in 19-year-olds body. His behavior is constant with humans of that age. Playing real-life make-believe, think he's hot shit and living in fantasies to escape his meager life.  You would assume I was arguing with a kiddy. Nope. Full grown man. Young adult. A young 19-year-old Methodist Wesleyan. I wouldn't be here talking about this right now if he put about his beliefs and didn't force anybody to believe the same things he did. But he didn't. 

But it's not necessarily his fault; he lived in and grown in a bubble, an echo chamber where few if any of his peers questioned him about his beliefs or taught about escaping confirmation bias, learning about science, or critically thinking about the self. His father is a pastor, so he definitely was indoctrinated as a child. He never got the opportunity to learn like I did. His father thought that faith was a virtue, that being gullible was a gift to behold, rather than an auto-deceptive self-delusion that can make you believe your contact with Slenderman or think you bonked Sans from Undertale. In small words, it's no pathway to truth and a perfect system for protecting lies.
RE: Encounter with a 19 year old man child theist
(September 7, 2018 at 7:16 pm)ATeenAtheist Wrote: Greetings. I've know theists all my life. I've had small talk with theists about my atheism and they mostly didn't care very much. I can see why; It's mostly pointless to argue about it when they better things to do. However, this time, rather recently, in fact, I had a real-life encounter with a crazy theist. He and I were in the same class through 8-10 grade when I was a teenager and this topic wasn't brought up until my junior year. 

I told him I was an atheist. He said in response "Why don't you believe in God?" I told him that I see no good reason to believe in such things. He then told me "You need to believe in God." I said, "Why?" He told the usual theist response, "He loves you", "He knows", etc. I pressed for how he knew that. It would always (like Clockwork) end in "Because I believe it." This started a firestorm. In the conversations afterward, he spilled his beliefs on me. He believes a lot of strange things. I won't list them here, for the sake of your time, but I a list on Pastebin. Be warned, however, you will be amazed or terrified: 
https://pastebin.com/K2gABvEH

This continued all year, until summer vacation, where I basically said "Fuck you." to him. I was so pissed at that point. He was so willfully ignorant and childish that it made me rage. This school year, I tried to establish good relations with him and teach him about science, but that failed utterly. He couldn't even agree on definitions, that's how willfully ignorant he was and is. His MO is still much the same, and I eventually gave up on him. He's basically a 9-year-old in 19-year-olds body. His behavior is constant with humans of that age. Playing real-life make-believe, think he's hot shit and living in fantasies to escape his meager life.  You would assume I was arguing with a kiddy. Nope. Full grown man. Young adult. A young 19-year-old Methodist Wesleyan. I wouldn't be here talking about this right now if he put about his beliefs and didn't force anybody to believe the same things he did. But he didn't. 

But it's not necessarily his fault; he lived in and grown in a bubble, an echo chamber where few if any of his peers questioned him about his beliefs or taught about escaping confirmation bias, learning about science, or critically thinking about the self. His father is a pastor, so he definitely was indoctrinated as a child. He never got the opportunity to learn like I did. His father thought that faith was a virtue, that being gullible was a gift to behold, rather than an auto-deceptive self-delusion that can make you believe your contact with Slenderman or think you bonked Sans from Undertale. In small words, it's no pathway to truth and a perfect system for protecting lies.

There's a thread here somewhere that discusses "firehosing", which is a method of lying so much with no regard as to whether it is true or if anyone even believes it. Of course the "hoser" may well have been indoctrinated in the same way. The original report was by the Rand Corporation, and discussed Russia. But the parallels with what is going on in the Trump administration are chilling. I think that firehosing is bad enough in and of itself, but if one starts their children off with it in the form of the parent's chosen religion, the kids don't stand a chance, in general. Many of us raised in xtian homes have managed to reason our way out of it. I don't call xtians stupid for it (except for a "Chosen" few, whom you meet, eventually), because I used to live in that sort of bubble, and I sure as hell ain't stupid. BTW, welcome!
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Have you told him that, according to his religion, he's going to hell?

[Image: a9b5002a323722ad24a35e1d3386ebc0.jpg]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 7, 2018 at 9:20 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: [Image: a9b5002a323722ad24a35e1d3386ebc0.jpg]

True enough, but He could give a Dutch rudder.
Meh. Let him have his sky daddy. You have reality on your side and that's all that matters. Sometimes battles don't have to be fought, but rather walked away from.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Funny, I'm a 58yr old theist prick! Because I know what is says and what it NEVER said! And I agree with your evaluation of this theist clown! But I don't agree with ANY of the atheist clowns here nor their anti-theism! However, I fit in quite well with agnostics. We are just people giving opinion: no matter how fucked up we are! Your young: we are all fucked up geezers! And we are WAY SMARTER then you!

You are not going to find truth in science, theology or any other MAN MADE fucking bullshit! MAYBE some, but that's it!

Your ONLY truth is your own life! And that, regardless of any theologian or scientist! What? You got something else?

Get this right here; science will NEVER disprove God! God will NEVER disprove observed science--EVER!

What is the middle ground? Nature! NOBODY fucks with that! Don't let any self proclaimed gurus fuck with you!
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker. Well...she's not my girlfriend "yet".

I discovered a new vitamin that fights cancer. I call it ...B9

I also invented a diet pill. It works great but had to quit taking it because of the side effects. Turns out my penis is larger and my hair grew back. And whoa! If you think my hair is nice!

When does size truly matter? When it's TOO big!

I'm currently working on a new pill I call "Destenze". However...now my shoes don't fit.
(September 8, 2018 at 2:09 am)Haipule Wrote: Funny, I'm a 58yr old theist prick! Because I know what is says and what it NEVER said! And I agree with your evaluation of this theist clown! But I don't agree with ANY of the atheist clowns here nor their anti-theism! However, I fit in quite well with agnostics. We are just people giving opinion: no matter how fucked up we are! Your young: we are all fucked up geezers! And we are WAY SMARTER then you!

You are not going to find truth in science, theology or any other MAN MADE fucking bullshit! MAYBE some, but that's it!

Your ONLY truth is your own life! And that, regardless of any theologian or scientist! What? You got something else?

Get this right here; science will NEVER disprove God! God will NEVER disprove observed science--EVER!

What is the middle ground? Nature! NOBODY fucks with that! Don't let any self proclaimed gurus fuck with you!

Science will never disprove goblins and elves, does that make them real too?
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Christianity is a child's play compared to Muslims. Muslims have death sentence for apostasy. Ex-muslim told that at the age of 12 he got brainwashed to believe in hell enough to attempt suicide and ended up in a wheelchair. In muslim world such intense brainwashing is mundane as well as killing for abandoning religion.
Greetings, ATeen. Your opponent sounds like the majority of my relatives. I gave up hope for them in the '70s. A few have escaped the programming that is part of their lives, but a very few.

However, don't give up on everybody because of this person, like my cousins he's at the nether end of the food chain. Many people just need an introduction of reality to give them a chance to ditch all that baggage.
(September 7, 2018 at 9:20 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Have you told him that, according to his religion, he's going to hell?

[Image: a9b5002a323722ad24a35e1d3386ebc0.jpg]

I not sure he believes that.

(September 8, 2018 at 12:38 am)Joods Wrote: Meh. Let him have his sky daddy. You have reality on your side and that's all that matters. Sometimes battles don't have to be fought, but rather walked away from.

I gave up on him, so I'm leaving his moronic beliefs alone for now.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Went to my 1st concert of the year. AkiraTheViking 5 525 July 4, 2023 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  What you doing for the New Year 2021? Foxaèr 13 1156 December 31, 2020 at 8:58 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What's everyone doing for New Year's Eve? Dundee 23 1272 December 30, 2020 at 11:27 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  A 17 year friend is dying Brian37 9 908 July 3, 2018 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Brian37