Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What the world needs and the best that can happen to anyone
What the world needs and the best that can happen to anyone
I think that a certain kind of faith in God is the best thing that can happen to anyone, and what the world needs most of all, for human progress, and to right the wrongs and repair the damage. Rather than trying to explain what kind of faith I mean, I'll start by giving an example of how it might happen. I'm not sure it can happen this way, but it's the best way I can think of to illustrate how I think it might happen. A person might read the gospel stories in some Christian Bible, and learn to love and trust Jesus enough to want to follow Him, and learn from Him how to live a better life. I don't think that a person needs to believe that anything in the gospel stories ever actually happened, or believe in any god, or even believe that any such person as Jesus ever actually existed, in order for God to grant them that kind of faith.
- Jim
RE: What the world needs and the best that can happen to anyone
Welcome Jim.

So basically, a book on being moral?
Isn't it more of a failing on the parents if one is forced to learn from a book in later life?

No Jesus character necessary...
(For that matter, Disney has taught kids more about morality than Jesus or the bible ever could... sad really.)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
What the world needs is a 60% reduction in the human population and for humanity to stop acting like children and grow the hell up.

In my opinion, anyway.
Dying to live, living to die.
Don't listen to the Valkyrie Jim.
She's trigger happy with nukes! Big Grin
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 2, 2018 at 8:55 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Don't listen to the Valkyrie Jim.
She's trigger happy with nukes! Big Grin

"Sanity adjacent".

Wink
Dying to live, living to die.
What the world needs is for those religious people to go worship their respective deities in a closet, and leave the rest of the population alone, instead of sticking their blue noses into other people's business. There's a reason it's called "A Grudge of Christian Women". And you can take all those well-meaning preacher men and dunk them like was done to women suspected of being witches. With weights on their legs.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(July 2, 2018 at 8:49 pm)jimhabegger Wrote: I think that a certain kind of faith in God is the best thing that can happen to anyone, and what the world needs most of all, for human progress, and to right the wrongs and repair the damage. Rather than trying to explain what kind of faith I mean, I'll start by giving an example of how it might happen. I'm not sure it can happen this way, but it's the best way I can think of to illustrate how I think it might happen. A person might read the gospel stories in some Christian Bible, and learn to love and trust Jesus enough to want to follow Him, and learn from Him how to live a better life. I don't think that a person needs to believe that anything in the gospel stories ever actually happened, or believe in any god, or even believe that any such person as Jesus ever actually existed, in order for God to grant them that kind of faith.

Then why do we need to get it from the story of Jesus, I mean, besides his flair and panache for cursing fig trees out of season?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
OP: Why then do we need the jesus fantasy story? After all, man created the god(s)/jesus story, not the other way around.

If all it takes is a good fantasy, how about Superman morality? Maybe Silmarillion morality? 

I'll stick with the morality provided by humans and society, no fantasy needed.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 2, 2018 at 8:49 pm)jimhabegger Wrote: I think that a certain kind of faith in God is the best thing that can happen to anyone, and what the world needs most of all, for human progress, and to right the wrongs and repair the damage. Rather than trying to explain what kind of faith I mean, I'll start by giving an example of how it might happen. I'm not sure it can happen this way, but it's the best way I can think of to illustrate how I think it might happen. A person might read the gospel stories in some Christian Bible, and learn to love and trust Jesus enough to want to follow Him, and learn from Him how to live a better life. I don't think that a person needs to believe that anything in the gospel stories ever actually happened, or believe in any god, or even believe that any such person as Jesus ever actually existed, in order for God to grant them that kind of faith.

Hi and welcome. 

And - how do you know you picked the right god to have faith in? What if it's not the god of the Abrahamic variety. What if it's the FSM? What if the pastafarians had it right all along?
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
I think that is where we have been for a long time. So....Paradise yet?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!