Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intelligent Design
Intelligent Design
Intelligent design has to be one of the dumbest things ever conceived. It was basically conceived because the US courts banned the teaching of Christian Creationism. So in response some Christians decided to come up with Intelligent design in order to have creationism to be seen as a science.

Basically it is creationism (mixed with an appeal to the god of gaps) dressed up to appear as a legitimate scientific theory. Intelligent design advocates argue in things such as irreducible complexity, specified complexity, a fine tuned Universe led to an intelligent designer (their speak for Yahweh). Fortunately real scientists and the courts have seen through this charade and seen it for the pseudoscience it is.

I have to confess I actually prefer the Young Earth Creationists over the Intelligent Design people, because they honest about their belief Yahweh creating the universe and everything in it.
undefined
RE: Intelligent Design
Creationism better than intelligent design? I guess so, but it's like saying you prefer having burns over 80% of your body compared to 90% Tongue
Just another pathetic ruse by the Christians to try to bring their myths in conformity with scientific discovery. The more evidence science discovers about this planet and the universe we live in, the more their silly doctrines and theologies wither away into nothing but myths as they are and always have been.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Probably what ignited my first severe opposition to the fundies. When I first heard of "intelligent design" in middle school I passed it off as "crazies goin' be crazy". When I hit high school though, the daftness of it all sunk in.
"Faith is about taking a comforting, childlike view of a disturbing and complicated world." ~ Edward Current

[Image: Invisible_Pink_Unicorn_by_stampystampy.gif] [Image: 91b7ba0967f80c8c43c58fdf3fa0571a.gif] [Image: Secular_Humanist_by_MaruLovesStamps.gif]
From the conclusion to Judge John Jones III's decision in Kitzmiller v Dover School Board:

Quote:H. Conclusion
The proper application of both the endorsement and Lemon tests to the facts
of this case makes it abundantly clear that the Board’s ID Policy violates the
Establishment Clause. In making this determination, we have addressed the
seminal question of whether ID is science. We have concluded that it is not, and
moreover that ID cannot uncouple itself from its creationist, and thus religious,
antecedents

Fuck the creationist morons!
(December 14, 2010 at 7:29 am)theVOID Wrote: Creationism better than intelligent design? I guess so, but it's like saying you prefer having burns over 80% of your body compared to 90% Tongue

Lol!

I have a friend who goes on forever about including Intelligent Design into the curriculum. He is also a supporter of amending the Constitution to allow a Christian theocracy, so go figure! Tongue
(December 14, 2010 at 3:27 pm)Micah Wrote:
(December 14, 2010 at 7:29 am)theVOID Wrote: Creationism better than intelligent design? I guess so, but it's like saying you prefer having burns over 80% of your body compared to 90% Tongue

Lol!

I have a friend who goes on forever about including Intelligent Design into the curriculum. He is also a supporter of amending the Constitution to allow a Christian theocracy, so go figure! Tongue

Such a person wouldn't be my friend for long. The difference between creationism for yokels and creationism for yokels who think they are hip is not so much that between 80% or 90% burn. It's between whether one prefer to experience 100% third degree while being forced to wear a country bumpkin outfit or a cheap second hand store city outfit.

Quote:Intelligent design has to be one of the dumbest things ever conceived.

I'd say more cunning than dumb. A LOT of people are easily deceived by pseudo science.

Irreducible complexity is only an argument from incredulity,a common logical fallacy. Aka "The god of the gaps". Its base is ignorance, and intellectual dishonesty from people who know better. Not necessarily stupidity,although stupidity is an advantage.Angel Cloud
(December 14, 2010 at 5:09 pm)padraic Wrote:
Quote:Intelligent design has to be one of the dumbest things ever conceived.

I'd say more cunning than dumb. A LOT of people are easily deceived by pseudo science.

Irreducible complexity is only an argument from incredulity,a common logical fallacy. Aka "The god of the gaps". Its base is ignorance, and intellectual dishonesty from people who know better. Not necessarily stupidity,although stupidity is an advantage.Angel Cloud

It is stupid in the quality of its content, if not stupid in manner in which it is intended to decieve.

It should be called unintelligent design.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Intelligent Design" group fakes lab Tea Earl Grey Hot 19 5535 December 20, 2012 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot