Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you’re complacent, you’re complicit
If you’re complacent, you’re complicit
“the state Catholic Conference has turned in recent years to some of Albany's most well-connected and influential lobby firms to help block a bill that would make it easier for child sex abuse victims to seek justice.”

I don’t understand how anyone could think it’s ok to be a part of a group that lobbies against child sex laws. Obviously individual Catholics are not to blame, and imo most catholic people are good people who don’t want anything to do with child sex scandals. But....at what point does it become wrong to stay a member of an organization like this? If you’re a member of the Catholic Church and you’re not actively speaking out against stuff like this, i think it’s fair to say you’re a part of the problem.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics...-1.2655010
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
RE: If you’re complaisant, you’re complicit
Indeed.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

RE: If you’re complacent, you’re complicit
I think that if I were a Catholic, I would be deeply ashamed and embarrassed. Leave the church. You can keep your god, but the Catholic faith has proven to be so morally bankrupt, it would be smarter to walk away before more innocent victims get hurt.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Quote: I don’t understand how anyone could think it’s ok to be a part of a group that lobbies against child sex laws.

Because they are full of shit.

[Image: pedophile-priests-1111111111111.jpg]
Last Sunday, a guy in our local paper named Doug McIntyre, a lifelong Catholic, altar boy, etc., (not molested, but knew boys who were) called out the Catholic Church and the laity to just this. I've not seen anyone grasp that nettle yet, in print. The RCC is an institution that so many people have revered for so long that it's going to be difficult to make them change. Sickening.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(August 24, 2018 at 9:50 pm)Losty Wrote: i think it’s fair to say you’re a part of the problem.

I'm honestly not a big fan of the phrase "you're part of the problem, not part of the solution" mostly because, the more I look at the world, I see the problems involved are so deep that being part of any actual solution would require this:

Why, yes, my finding out about this scene did help spark my desire to watch all the MCU movies in order just so I could appreciate it.

Admittedly, the problem might not be that dire, but given that the Catholic Church is hemorrhaging moral credibility with this shit and so little is changing, I think this is one of those problems that, even if the powers that be could do anything about it, it's safe to assume that they never will.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Much like with politics, where the majority of voters hate Congress on the whole, but keep voting for the same people because they don't think their senators or congresspeople are to blame, churchgoers don't think their priest is one of the bad ones.  So, they buy into the RCC's PR bullshit.  "It was just a few bad apples," "It happened a long time ago," "It only happened in a couple big cities, our small town is fine, "The church is looking into it and will get to the bottom of it," etc.

Anecdotal: my older brother isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but he's enamored with his priest.  "He looks like ESPN's Chris Berman and is a straight shooter!"  It simply hasn't crossed his mind that there's a non-zero chance that the man who baptized his kids look(ed/s) at them with a sexual hunger.  I'm guessing most believers are like him.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
Yeah, but not all the money I give them goes towards crime. Some of it provides help for the people God can't be bothered to look after.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
A few years back I tried to formally leave the church.  Because I was baptized as a baby, my name was added to their official rolls at a time when I had no say-so in the matter.

In 2011, the RCC made it impossible to formally leave the church.  You can still stop going, and also submit a form that is symbolic, but once once your parents chose to sign you up, the church will not ever officially let you go.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
I suppose I should have said “if you’re a willing member”. I didn’t realize it was impossible to revoke your own membership.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well