Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is a god?
What is a god?
I am constantly baffled at the myriad concepts of god that people use.

For the common folk, god seems to be a sort of ruler of the whole cosmos, keeping everything in balance and in proper working order. Much like a very powerful king. It seems to be an actual entity with thinking capacity, one that can interact with reality and reality can influence it.... thoughts and prayers are believed to influence it, right? This is the god as I see described in the OT.

There is also the concept of the formless god. A bit like the above, but not like a king, more like a prime mover. Things go according to plan and so they stay. No influence possible by anything. It is everywhere and nowhere in particular simply observing, if even that...

Then there is the metaphysical god, the one that is that pure conception of existence, of being, of intelligence, of perfection, etc... Nothing can exist without existence itself giving it support for its existence (if that makes sense).

One can also consider the old gods that were actual entities in charge of particular domains of nature, but I guess no one goes for those anymore...

I find that, when one enters a discussion using one of these concepts, anyone who actually defends a different concept of god will immediately be lost in the discussion, for there is a clash that can only be surpassed with some difficulty.
With each of these concepts of god, other accompanying concepts also change slightly, like those of a soul, a saint, a demon, etc., which only serve to fuel the fruitless discussion further.

Is it possible to have a one single conception of a god so that our discussions between atheists and with theists can be more to the point?
RE: What is a god?
Almost every popular God is a Sadist, otherview why people would bow before him in most of the cases.
Not possible at all Poca.
A person's perception of "God" is as personal and unique as they are. (but don't tell the theists that! They'll think we're mocking them)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
The word means what is worshipped or what ought to be worshipped depending on context.

The highest level of respect and valuing is what we worship.

If it's not the absolute being we worship, then we worship something else.

The greatest loss are those who take their own desire as a god and everyone is trampled upon due to their self-centered perceptions.

The thing about recognizing God is that you must see the signs of God within yourself and in compassion and love to others, and in that, lies a unity, that is loving the face of God in everything, that his light is spread through out all living beings.

Even the worse of beings (Satan for examples) get's some compassion and some beauty of theirs is adored, due to the face of God aspect of them.

The chaotic type unbalanced type love, where we love ourselves more then everything else, and then make idols we equate with God out of that love, and sacrifice the truth and attribute to the light of God darkness all out of that love of ourselves, is the root of the chaos and oppression in the world.

Monotheism is easy to claim by mouth, but to put it in practice, requires to break the idol that we seek to serve, that Iblis makes us think is us, but isn't our true selves.

Had the path been directed to other then God and would be a guidance, God would have let us walk it, but evil and dark are the paths misleading from him.

Sufficient in this although I didn't phrase how is an argument for God that proves him beyond doubt.
(September 4, 2018 at 10:16 am)MysticKnight Wrote: The word means what is worshipped or what ought to be worshipped depending on context.

No it does not.

Merriam-Webster Wrote:1 capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: such as
a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe
b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind
2 : a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality

(September 4, 2018 at 10:16 am)MysticKnight Wrote: If it's not the absolute being we worship, then we worship something else.

No we do not.

Merriam-Webster Wrote:1 : to honor or reverence as a divine being or supernatural power
2 : to regard with great or extravagant respect, honor, or devotion

All you prove by distorting the meaning of words like you do is that you're an ignorant and dishonest fucktard. Another liar for God.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 4, 2018 at 10:16 am)MysticKnight Wrote: The word means what is worshipped or what ought to be worshipped depending on context.

The greatest loss are those who take their own desire as a god and everyone is trampled upon due to their self-centered perceptions.

The thing about recognizing God is that you must see the signs of God within yourself and in compassion and love to others, and in that, lies a unity, that is loving the face of God in everything, that his light is spread through out all living beings.

Even the worse of beings (Satan for examples) get's some compassion and some beauty of theirs is adored, due to the face of God aspect of them.

The chaotic type unbalanced type love, where we love ourselves more then everything else, and then make idols we equate with God out of that love, and sacrifice the truth and attribute to the light of God darkness all out of that love of ourselves, is the root of the chaos and oppression in the world.

Monotheism is easy to claim by mouth, but to put it in practice, requires to break the idol that we seek to serve, that Iblis makes us think is us, but isn't our true selves.

Had the path been directed to other then God and would be a guidance, God would have let us walk it, but evil and dark are the paths misleading from him.

Sufficient in this although I didn't phrase how is an argument for God that proves him beyond doubt.

Thank you for fitting so neatly into my first category:

(September 4, 2018 at 6:37 am)pocaracas Wrote: For the common folk, god seems to be a sort of ruler of the whole cosmos, keeping everything in balance and in proper working order. Much like a very powerful king. It seems to be an actual entity with thinking capacity, one that can interact with reality and reality can influence it....

I did expect most Muslims to align themselves with this version of a god.
According to both the Bible and Quran, this what the word "god" means, and it can't be truly understood without these concepts.  

This century is losing a lot of meaning in words, but based on the "to regard with great or extravagant respect, honor, or devotion"

As for devotion what is considered a great devotion? I would say I have a great devotion to a lot of things.

But reality is god is not just what you are greatly devoted to, but it's the highest level of what you are devoted to, what you value at the highest level. And this relative.

This amount is not quantity, but relative quantity and what is on top of our priorities.

To worship God alone means nothing ought to be close to the devotion you give to that being, nothing should be equated with that devotion.
1) Relabelling of things we know are real (or abstract concepts)

And/or

2) Intelligent being which created our environment

And/or

3) Loads of super powers and accolades

And/or

4) Meaningless word salad drivel
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(September 4, 2018 at 10:31 am)pocaracas Wrote:

Thank you for fitting so neatly into my first category:

(September 4, 2018 at 6:37 am)pocaracas Wrote: For the common folk, god seems to be a sort of ruler of the whole cosmos, keeping everything in balance and in proper working order. Much like a very powerful king. It seems to be an actual entity with thinking capacity, one that can interact with reality and reality can influence it....

I did expect most Muslims to align themselves with this version of a god.

The thing is the word "god" just means what we value most relative to everything else. What we devote to the most.

In Quran for example, you will find a verse that talks about a person taking their desire as a god.

Most people have many things they devote themselves too equally with God. This is polytheism at the heart even if they intellectually believe in one God.
In the case of many gods, it basically amounts to "Like us, but more powerful. Usually being related to a force of nature, or some aspect of Humanity like love". A popular concept is just some eldritch being that's both incomprehensible, and all powerful. Like a Lovecraftian abomination that may bless or punish you whether you worship it or not. And of course there's the idea that whatever you value most in your life becomes your god. Which is sort of stretching and diluting the concept, but whatever.

Personally I just view it as a tool. "Listen to me because I get orders from someone more powerful than you. Don't overthrow me, or you'll make him angry."
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html