Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is me.
This is me.
This is sure to be more than you want to know about me.
outtathereligioncloset
"Opinionated"
Registration Date: 06-19-2017

TTA reputation 56, only one negative point EVER and I’m as proud of that one as any other, because of its source.  Over 2100 posts.  Yeah I talk a lot.

Clearly I’m a newbie here, by way of TTA.  There, I never did do an introduction thread, I just jumped right in asking for advice on how I could have handled a call for public prayer better in the future than I had the night before, and I stuck around because of the wonderful and sometimes humorous advice I got in that thread.  After about 15 months there they all know me pretty well.

I am (in no particular order) a wife, mother, grandmother, atheist, enthusiastic intermediate ukulele player, a (used to be avid) swing dancer, a thorn in the side of my town board of directors, reader of books, outspoken, opinionated, an old house owner, actress in local college and community theatres, technological dinosaur (my “new” cell phone is my husband’s old flip phone). I do not do Facebook.   I say “used to be avid” swing dancer because arthritis has greatly sucked the joy out of doing the Jitterbug and Charleston for both of us, but we still get out there a few times a year now as compared to several times a month just a few years ago.  For the record I can still do the Bees Knees with the best of them.

I live in a small town in the bible belt that’s about a thirty minute drive from Raleigh, NC where as far as I know I am the only atheist.  It is choked with more churches than all other businesses combined.  I refer to it as Tinytown.  We’ve been here over 30 years and I live here with my husband and two dogs and after Hurricane Florence, also apparently a herd of Palmetto water bugs as well.  One ran across my foot last night at the computer that was big enough to saddle.

My screen name “outtathereligioncloset” is only partially true.  I am more or less out to my town by way of “word spreads” in Tinytown.   I have been out to my husband for close to a year and a half now if I’m remembering right, (who still believes in a “higher power” so that’s had its rocky moments.)  I’m out to my best friend who still “prays for me” but honestly, not in a condescending way or in a praying to save my soul kind of way.  I am out to my childperson who has taken it in stride since I’m pretty sure her husband is as well.  I had to come out to her once it became clear that the town board had handed me over to the local paper as atheist and I wanted to be up front with her first. She is pushing 40 but will always be “childperson” to us no matter her age.  Grandchildperson is only seven so the subject hasn’t really been a talking point yet.

I am NOT out to my elderly father.  If at all possible he will go to his grave not knowing.  It would break his heart to think he’d never see me again after death.  Not out to my siblings either.  Unsure if that will ever happen later down the road---one’s a longtime deacon in his church, the other is also Christian.  For now I cannot be upfront and honest with them since I’m pretty certain they would run to Daddy to “tell on me.”  Fellow members of TTA helped me to come to terms with living with my own hypocrisy on that count and I am grateful for that.

My sense of humor is frequently twisted.  I speak fluent meme and emoticons.  Apologies in advance to those of you that annoys.

My older dog shares my love of live theatre.  She played Sandy in Annie earlier this year and caught the acting bug something awful from it.  She sorely misses the kids and the curtain calls.  The younger dog is a recent rescue after the devastating and unexpected loss of our beloved Jack Russell who was the best little dog in the entire world.  Don’t argue that point, just accept it.  The rescue is a Parson Russell who is our first “official” rescue dog.  By that I mean that we’ve had many shelter dogs but he is the first adoptee to come from an actual official rescue agency.  He has a sad history and some issues with aggressiveness with other dogs that we’re working through, but we have fallen for him hook, line and sinker and he is getting better.   He's been with us just shy of three months.  I’m pretty sure he believes now that he is “home” for stay at last and that he is safe with us.  He is also the first dog we’ve ever taken to obedience classes.  We have two out of six down now and are doing our homework but admittedly have to get better about doing it more times each day.

So, that’s me.  Probably more than any of you wanted to know.  But I wanted to start my time here by introducing myself early on.  And by the way, even if we manage to “save TTA” I’m still going to stick around here too.  And I want to issue a challenge to the other newbies who’ve landed here from The Thinking Atheist for as many of us as are able to do so, let’s show our gratitude by putting our money where our mouths are.  A mere dollar a month to help support this place is NOT much to ask.  Please do what you're able, and if you aren't able, that appears to be okay too.

Either way, I'm glad to see so many familiar names here and looking forward to getting to know more like-minded people!

[Image: dancing-chicken.gif][Image: banana-on-computer-smiley-emoticon.gif][Image: laurel-and-hardy-dancing-smiley-emoticon.gif]

P.S.  Whenever somebody has a minute would you please share with me what I'm doing wrong that I can't get my dancing emoticons to dance here?  They just stand around looking perplexed.  I'm tickled that at least I finally got my hair on fire avatar to work though!

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
RE: This is me.
Welcome!
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
Welcome you absolutely adorable womanperson you. 💜💜💜
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Welcome to our band of heathens
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
Bon jour, mon ami.

(I say that because republicunts hate French.)
Hello there and welcome Smile
Welcome and thanks for the awesome intro thread!
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Welcome fellow old fart! (you do fart, right?)

Tell us some more about being outed to the town paper. What did the paper do?

Small town papers are so damn funny. More gossip than news.

Edit: About the non dancing, look at the code. I think (don't count on it) it has to be https. Yours are http.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Welcome to AF! You sound interesting.
Welcome.

I'm very glad you found us.
Dying to live, living to die.