Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the point of multiple types of ethics?
What is the point of multiple types of ethics?
Recently I have been reading a little about many types of ethics, such as Kantian Ethics, Nicomachean ethics, Utilitarism, etc. And it made me wonder what is the purpose of these types of ethics, many which contradict each other.

Is it actually possible to create an ethics model which encompasses all of the diversity of human nature and its circunstances? Many of these ethic models say that the end is happiness or that man should always follow a duty regardless of the case. I feel all of these ideas cannot take into account the full complexity of human nature and the environment that sorrounds it. Like it will always fall short.
RE: What is the point of multiple types of ethics?
Good luck getting everyone to conform to a single set.
     I've recently grown rudimentary legs and am now making the move from water to land.
(October 1, 2018 at 7:33 pm)Macoleco Wrote: Is it actually possible to create an ethics model which encompasses all of the diversity of human nature and its circunstances?

That's why we have all these methods. They're heuristics that try to create a model that encompasses everything they know about humans and their circumstances. Unfortunately, they invariably fail to encompass everything.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(October 1, 2018 at 7:33 pm)Macoleco Wrote: I feel all of these ideas cannot take into account the full complexity of human nature and the environment that sorrounds it. Like it will always fall short.

We need all the different systems because each of them falls short. 

Moral problems in life are seldom solvable in the strict way that math problems are solvable. Understanding and applying different approaches helps us think about the issues with more depth.
I thought there was only one Ethics?

Somewhere in England?
Dying to live, living to die.
(October 1, 2018 at 7:33 pm)Macoleco Wrote: Recently I have been reading a little about many types of ethics,  such as Kantian Ethics, Nicomachean ethics, Utilitarism, etc. And it made me wonder what is the purpose of these types of ethics, many which contradict each other.

Is it actually possible to create an ethics model which encompasses all of the diversity of human nature and its circunstances? Many of these ethic models say that the end is happiness or that man should always follow a duty regardless of the case. I feel all of these ideas cannot take into account the full complexity of human nature and the environment that sorrounds it. Like it will always fall short.

The thing is, each of the theories says something important (perhaps indispensable) about ethics. You may want to take a look at ethical pluralism. You don't HAVE to go with just one. And the thing is, by themselves, each of the monistic theories suffer serious deficits. There is no easy answer to your OP, Macoleco. It's a millstone that has been grinding away in the ears of ethicists for centuries.

The important thing, I think, is that you've decided to investigate matters for yourself... rather than just letting people tell you what is right or wrong and then accepting it.
The point, it's an easy way to figure out exactly who to abuse and shun. 

That's right, run away.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 1, 2018 at 9:00 pm)wyzas Wrote: The point, it's an easy way to figure out exactly who to abuse and shun. 

That's right, run away.

Are you high tonight or what?
A millstone in their ears? Sounds painful.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(October 1, 2018 at 9:45 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: A millstone in their ears?  Sounds painful.

Running a marathon invariably involves pain. But, if you are a runner in a marathon, your goal is to cross the finish line, no? You'll work through any pain... or you suck at marathons.

Committed philosophers are going to run the marathon, using every ounce of their intellectual energy to get closer to that finish line. I guess the real problem is: nobody knows where the finish line even is. Socrates handed us a baton, and we simply took it and started running.

Pain is an illusion. Only the finish line is real. And even if the finish line is not real, it is far less illusory than pain.

I'm high, btw. Unlike wyzas, I have no problem just saying it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ethics of Neutrality John 6IX Breezy 16 1235 November 20, 2023 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Ethics of Fashion John 6IX Breezy 60 3828 August 9, 2022 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] Ethics Disagreeable 44 3938 March 23, 2022 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: deepend
  Machine Intelligence and Human Ethics BrianSoddingBoru4 24 1863 May 28, 2019 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What's the point of philosophy any more? I_am_not_mafia 167 26466 March 29, 2018 at 10:22 am
Last Post: stretch3172
  Trolley Problem/Consistency in Ethics vulcanlogician 150 18015 January 30, 2018 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  (LONG) "I Don't Know" as a Good Answer in Ethics vulcanlogician 69 8711 November 27, 2017 at 1:10 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  what are you ethics based on justin 50 16467 February 24, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Compatibility Of Three Approachs To Ethics Edwardo Piet 18 3176 October 2, 2016 at 5:23 am
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Utilitarianism and Population Ethics Edwardo Piet 10 1728 April 24, 2016 at 3:45 am
Last Post: robvalue