Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 12:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Ethics
Ethics
Do you have an ethical system? And, if so, what is it?

I'm a Rule Consequentialist in principle but a virtue ethicist in practice.

for those who are unaware, there are three main branches of normative ethics.

(1) Consquentailism

(2) Deontology

(3) Virtue ethics.

Also, an answer to the trolley problem would be cool. I should kill the 1 to save the 5.
Schopenhauer Wrote:The intellect has become free, and in this state it does not even know or understand any other interest than that of truth.

Epicurus Wrote:The greatest reward of righteousness is peace of mind.

Epicurus Wrote:Don't fear god,
Don't worry about death;

What is good is easy to get,

What is terrible is easy to endure
RE: Ethics
I'm essentially a utilitarian, which falls under the consequentialist umbrella. I've never been convinced that an action or a rule can be ethically good that doesn't have a good outcome for the majority of the people involved.

Your answer to the trolley problem is correct.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Fuck everyone right where they breathe.

Stomp their heads.

Sodomy.

Profit!
(March 1, 2022 at 5:22 am)The L Wrote: Do you have an ethical system? And, if so, what is it?

(1) Consquentailism

(2) Deontology

(3) Virtue ethics.

Also, an answer to the trolley problem would be cool. I should kill the 1 to save the 5.

I have no idea what those 3 options entail... a small two sentence explanation of what each is would help.

The trolley problem... I'd waste time looking for a solution that would allow me to save everyone and sacrifice the one at the last possible minute. That is if all those 6 persons were total unknown to me.
Proximity/antipathy to any of them would skew the result.
(March 1, 2022 at 7:29 am)pocaracas Wrote: I have no idea what those 3 options entail... a small two sentence explanation of what each is would help.

Consequentialism is the view that it is the outcome that ultimately matters and everything else is a means to that moral end.

Deontology is the view that we ought to follow certain rules as a matter of principle regardless of the consequences.

Virtue ethics is the view that we ought to try and live by certain virtues and avoid certain vices.

Basically, Consequentialism is about outcomes, deontology is about rules and virtue ethics is about virtues. That is them put simply.

It can get more complex. For example, rule consequentialism is the view that it is the consequences that ultimately matter but the best way to achieve them is following certain rules/principles. So it's basically like consequentialism combined with deontology.

(March 1, 2022 at 6:56 am)no one Wrote: Fuck everyone right where they breathe.

Stomp their heads.

Sodomy.

Profit!

Are you serious?
Schopenhauer Wrote:The intellect has become free, and in this state it does not even know or understand any other interest than that of truth.

Epicurus Wrote:The greatest reward of righteousness is peace of mind.

Epicurus Wrote:Don't fear god,
Don't worry about death;

What is good is easy to get,

What is terrible is easy to endure
(March 1, 2022 at 6:56 am)no one Wrote: Fuck everyone right where they breathe.

Stomp their heads.

Sodomy.

Profit!

Moderator Notice
Serious thread. Behave yourself.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 1, 2022 at 5:22 am)The L Wrote: Do you have an ethical system? And, if so, what is it?

(1) Consquentailism

(2) Deontology

(3) Virtue ethics.

I have ethics. Why should I give a shit what philosophy definition/label it fits?

What if all the people on the tracks are known serial killers?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 1, 2022 at 7:49 am)The L Wrote:
(March 1, 2022 at 7:29 am)pocaracas Wrote: I have no idea what those 3 options entail... a small two sentence explanation of what each is would help.

Consequentialism is the view that it is the outcome that ultimately matters and everything else is a means to that moral end.

Deontology is the view that we ought to follow certain rules as a matter of principle regardless of the consequences.

Virtue ethics is the view that we ought to try and live by certain virtues and avoid certain vices.

Basically, Consequentialism is about outcomes, deontology is about rules and virtue ethics is about virtues. That is them put simply.

It can get more complex. For example, rule consequentialism is the view that it is the consequences that ultimately matter but the best way to achieve them is following certain rules/principles. So it's basically like consequentialism combined with deontology.

I see...
As with many things, virtue is in the middle. A healthy amount of each should be had.
(March 1, 2022 at 8:21 am)brewer Wrote:

(1) Consquentailism

(2) Deontology

(3) Virtue ethics.

I have ethics. Why should I give a shit what philosophy definition/label it fits?

Part of the (expanded) version of the trolley problem is that you don't know anything about the people on the tracks.

Boru
(March 1, 2022 at 8:28 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(March 1, 2022 at 8:21 am)brewer Wrote: I have ethics. Why should I give a shit what philosophy definition/label it fits?

Part of the (expanded) version of the trolley problem is that you don't know anything about the people on the tracks.

Boru

Maybe I don't but everybody else does and they tell me after.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ethics of Neutrality John 6IX Breezy 16 1173 November 20, 2023 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Ethics of Fashion John 6IX Breezy 60 3742 August 9, 2022 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Machine Intelligence and Human Ethics BrianSoddingBoru4 24 1838 May 28, 2019 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What is the point of multiple types of ethics? Macoleco 12 1109 October 2, 2018 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Trolley Problem/Consistency in Ethics vulcanlogician 150 17904 January 30, 2018 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  (LONG) "I Don't Know" as a Good Answer in Ethics vulcanlogician 69 8662 November 27, 2017 at 1:10 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  what are you ethics based on justin 50 16351 February 24, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Compatibility Of Three Approachs To Ethics Edwardo Piet 18 3147 October 2, 2016 at 5:23 am
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Utilitarianism and Population Ethics Edwardo Piet 10 1716 April 24, 2016 at 3:45 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The Ethics of Belief Pyrrho 32 7602 July 25, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger