Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:08 pm

Poll: Were you consistent concerning the number of lives you saved?
This poll is closed.
I was consistent: Same # of people lived/died in both experiments.
17.65%
3 17.65%
I was inconsistent: 5 died in one experiment, 1 died in the other.
82.35%
14 82.35%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolley Problem/Consistency in Ethics
Trolley Problem/Consistency in Ethics
[Image: rogerstrolley_437x220.jpg]

Hey folks!

I was recently musing over two different thought experiments whose purpose is to test the value of ethical consequentialism. For those who aren't familiar, consequentialism is a type of normative ethical theory which emphasizes the results (or consequences) of a given action.

In this paper, Judith Thompson analyzes the famous trolley problem alongside another thought experiment: the transplant problem.

Anyone who is unfamiliar with the trolley problem can find a description of it by clicking below:

The transplant problem is a different variation on the same ethical dilemma. In this example you are a world class surgeon whose area of expertise is organ transplants. You currently have five patients under your care who will die by the end of the day if they don't receive organ transplants. The window for any last-minute organ donations to show up has closed, and you are basically watching the clock waiting for them to die.

A patient shows up to your office complaining of mild gastric discomfort. This gives you an idea  Lightbulb .

If you were to subdue this patient and harvest her organs, you could save the lives of all five of your patients. But if you do this, there is no chance that the "donor" will survive. So what do you do? Do you kill one person to save five? Or do you do nothing?

[Image: Organ-Donor.jpg]

The question here is: are you a consistent consequentialist? If you saved five lives at the cost of one in the trolley example, did you do so in the doctor example? If there is inconsistency, how do you justify it? Keep in mind, both examples are essentially the same: you can either ACT and save five lives (at the cost of one) or NOT ACT and let five people die. I'd like to hear people's reasoning for deciding differently or remaining consistent concerning both thought experiments.

(Even if you don't reply, please answer the attached poll. I'd like to get some raw numbers. I set it up to be anonymous.)
RE: Trolley Problem/Consistency in Ethics
Consistent, yes.
Regarding the trolley problem, trip the switch after the first truck passes thru the switch, but before the rear truck goes thru and the trolley will derail and save everybody.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(January 24, 2018 at 11:35 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Regarding the trolley problem, trip the switch after the first truck passes thru the switch, but before the rear truck goes thru and the trolley will derail and save everybody.

That's cheating! Unless people die, thought experiments are no fun.
Well... The two examples aren’t really the same.

In the trolley problem, someone must die. So it makes sense to choose saving five people over one. In the transplant problem, you aren’t choosing between one inevitable outcome and the other, you’re consciously killing a person that did not HAVE to die at all, picked by you at random. Why them instead of any number of other patients? They were going to live, they were not doomed like the person on the tracks. You become the trolley in this scenario, not the powerless person making a decision between bad and worse. You choose to do it without being forced and it involves going out of your way to harm them. Therefore it’s not the same. I don’t think it’s accurate to put those two together.
(January 24, 2018 at 11:39 am)Longhorn Wrote: Well... The two examples aren’t really the same.

In the trolley problem, someone must die. So it makes sense to choose saving five people over one. In the transplant problem, you aren’t choosing between one inevitable outcome and the other, you’re consciously and immorally killing a person that did not HAVE to die.

You are mistaken.

In the trolley experiment, the one person on the other track does not HAVE TO DIE either. The only way they die is if you ACT by pulling the switch. Otherwise they survive. Think about it. 

For sake of the doctor example, assume no other people are available to be donors. This way (at least from a consequentialist standpoint) both examples are the same.
The two don't seem to be on completely even footing.

In the trolley one it seems like an evil act has been done to 6 people, your job is to minimize the causalities, in a practical situation like that you'd be calling the police or at least thinking of how to save that one persons life on the track after the lever has been pulled, you'd pull the lever to save the 5 people, then your goal, no matter how futile, would be to save the 1 person on their own.

In the surgery scenario you're actively killing someone and harvesting their organs, that seems to eliminate any chance of their possibly being intentions to save everyone's life.  

There's practical differences in the scenario, the degree of involvement in the killing, the timing of the deaths, the probability of the single person surviving.  I know this is a hypothetical situation in which you're supposed to know the man on the track will die if you pull the lever, but if that situation were real there'd still be things you can do to at least try and save that person that you would try to do.  Unlike removing someone's organs, in which case you are the person who is killing that single person with your own hands directly and with full knowledge that they're going to die.

Also the statistical difference in how likely it is the 5 will survive.  If the train is not running them over they will not die.  On the other hand in the surgical scenario you're relying on the fact that this person has organs that are in good condition, that the procedure will go perfectly, that no one will die during these 5 procedures and so on.

If I was put in these practical situations it seems instinctive/logical to say I would pull the lever in the trolley situation but not perform the surgery in the surgical scenario.
In the pretend world of hypothetical questions, where I know who will survive, who will die and exactly what will happen, it wouldn't really make a difference I suppose, I might have to think it through more but both situations seem fairly equal in a pretend hypothetical world.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(January 24, 2018 at 11:43 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: You are mistaken.

In the trolley experiment, the one person on the other track does not HAVE TO DIE either. The only way they die is if you ACT by pulling the switch. Otherwise they survive. Think about it.

But the person is not ingrained in this scenario. They come along as an unrelated addition. You choose to involve them and you choose to kill them - it’s not an unstoppable trolley or death, it’s you consciously killing another person. Not in defense of the others, like if they were going to shoot them (unstoppable force).

I still don’t see it as the same even if there aren’t other donors.

It’s not the question of “do I direct this force this way or that way”, it’s “do I let this force go its way or do I act as another force to kill someone else and then stop that force”. If that makes sense.
I actually had the trolley experiment involving shoving the "fat man" in mind, though I suppose the addition of a switch doesn't really change the matter of requiring a direct hand in killing (i.e. murdering?) one person in order to save the lives of others in any fundamental way. Just a manner of making the choice seem or feel more ethical, in an effort to make the dilemma more challenging.

Interesting stuff.
[Image: 555.png]
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ethics of Neutrality John 6IX Breezy 16 1187 November 20, 2023 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Ethics of Fashion John 6IX Breezy 60 3767 August 9, 2022 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] Ethics Disagreeable 44 3897 March 23, 2022 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: deepend
  Machine Intelligence and Human Ethics BrianSoddingBoru4 24 1845 May 28, 2019 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What is the point of multiple types of ethics? Macoleco 12 1114 October 2, 2018 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  (LONG) "I Don't Know" as a Good Answer in Ethics vulcanlogician 69 8684 November 27, 2017 at 1:10 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  what are you ethics based on justin 50 16392 February 24, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Compatibility Of Three Approachs To Ethics Edwardo Piet 18 3153 October 2, 2016 at 5:23 am
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  #1 Thought experiment - "The Trolley Problem" ErGingerbreadMandude 108 12414 May 20, 2016 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Athene
  Utilitarianism and Population Ethics Edwardo Piet 10 1719 April 24, 2016 at 3:45 am
Last Post: robvalue