Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism and disrespect
Atheism and disrespect
A lot of my friends, even atheists, view my views on religion as 'disrespectful'. So much that I just don't state them anymore. 
So I'm curious. In real life (because most people behave differently online), what are your boundaries? Where do you draw the line and decide a certain battle isn't worth fighting. When do you think you're unnecessarily going too far?
For example, at a recent overnight retreat with my extended family, people were telling each other spooky stories. (I have no idea why.) So my grandfather had this incredible idea of making everyone sing some long ass prayer later to 'ward off the evil spirits' Great . Keep in mind, most of my extended fam consists of right wing Hindu fundamentalists, so almost everyone readily agreed. I happen to not know that prayer (we never prayed in my home). So after everyone was done, my grandmother told me to memorize it (keep in mind that it's long, takes about 9 minutes to sing it). I bluntly told her no, and that I considered it a waste of my time. I'd rather spend all that time and effort doing something that I consider more worthwhile. I later decided that I wouldn't say such things. It doesn't hurt to say yes. It's not like she was gonna call me a month later and ask if I'd memorized the stupid prayer. So yeah, that's how I want to behave. I don't think religion (or the lack of it) is worth creating a divide over. 
What about you guys?
The word bed actually looks like a bed. 
RE: Atheism and disrespect
(October 6, 2018 at 2:36 pm)DodosAreDead Wrote: A lot of my friends, even atheists, view my views on religion as 'disrespectful'. So much that I just don't state them anymore. 
So I'm curious. In real life (because most people behave differently online), what are your boundaries? Where do you draw the line and decide a certain battle isn't worth fighting. When do you think you're unnecessarily going too far?
For example, at a recent overnight retreat with my extended family, people were telling each other spooky stories. (I have no idea why.) So my grandfather had this incredible idea of making everyone sing some long ass prayer later to 'ward off the evil spirits' Great . Keep in mind, most of my extended fam consists of right wing Hindu fundamentalists, so almost everyone readily agreed. I happen to not know that prayer (we never prayed in my home). So after everyone was done, my grandmother told me to memorize it (keep in mind that it's long, takes about 9 minutes to sing it). I bluntly told her no, and that I considered it a waste of my time. I'd rather spend all that time and effort doing something that I consider more worthwhile. I later decided that I wouldn't say such things. It doesn't hurt to say yes. It's not like she was gonna call me a month later and ask if I'd memorized the stupid prayer. So yeah, that's how I want to behave. I don't think religion (or the lack of it) is worth creating a divide over. 
What about you guys?

It depends upon how you feel about religion in general, and more specifically how you feel about religious privilege in particular. Note that it's possible to be against giving religion and religious ideas special privilege without necessarily being against religion per se. I suppose the reverse is also true. A subsidiary matter is whether or not religion should be respected in certain contexts, such as among family, but not others. Are you specifically asking about family, or in general?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I guess it depends on the person that I'm talking to. Usually I'll just be blunt and short when answering questions about religion. Most take the hint that they shouldn't continue talking about it. If the person is on the fence about religion then it can be more productive since they are open to both sides. There are those who take it as a personal insult if you say something negative about their religion. Most of the time I just avoid conversations with those people because they are likely to get angry or start preaching at me.
(October 6, 2018 at 2:36 pm)DodosAreDead Wrote: A lot of my friends, even atheists, view my views on religion as 'disrespectful'. So much that I just don't state them anymore. 
What about you guys?

It's all about how you go about it. You can speak gently and be opposed to a person's beliefs and the center of their life purpose, but they won't hate you for it if you speak nicely.  Manners - act beautifully - and I'm sure others won't mind the dialogue.

Some people even for the most minor things - speak so rudely over a disagreement. Some people even over the biggest and most important things speak gently and nicely.

Of course, there is a time for harshness, but rarely is there is a time for it.
Growing up in a town that was well over 90% Catholic I became used to just tuning it out when I realized I simply didn't believe any of it, not that easy to do when you in a Catholic school. Living in the south for the last few decades also means I have surrounded by religious people and comments. I tend not to engage though it's hard not to eyeroll too obviously at some things. I am quiet when they feel the need to pray...I don't feel the need most of the time to declare I am an atheist because I just don't want the inevitable questions and possible preaching. Often I simply say that I am not religious and try to move things on to another topic.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(October 6, 2018 at 2:51 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:   Are you specifically asking about family, or in general?

In general. Mine was just an example.
The word bed actually looks like a bed. 
Any request can often be rejected by saying politely

"No thanks"
"Not my cup of tea"
"I really don't enjoy doing that."
"Not right now. Maybe later."
Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result
naïvete
(October 6, 2018 at 2:58 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
What about you guys?

It's all about how you go about it. You can speak gently and be opposed to a person's beliefs and the center of their life purpose, but they won't hate you for it if you speak nicely.  Manners - act beautifully - and I'm sure others won't mind the dialogue.

Some people even for the most minor things - speak so rudely over a disagreement. Some people even over the biggest and most important things speak gently and nicely.

Of course, there is a time for harshness, but rarely is there is a time for it.

Your naïvete is breathtaking.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 6, 2018 at 4:21 pm)Rahn127 Wrote: Any request can often be rejected by saying politely

"No thanks"
"Not my cup of tea"
"I really don't enjoy doing that."
"Not right now. Maybe later."

Apart from shopping with a woman.
There is nothing to be respected about the primitive babbling of self-righteous morons.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2753 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27168 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Two Undeniable Truths Why Theism is True and Atheism and Agnosticism are Not True HiYou 49 12292 July 21, 2015 at 6:59 am
Last Post: KUSA
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12497 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12161 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10504 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Religion, Atheism, and Deism -and the middle ground. Mystic 6 3326 March 9, 2014 at 2:41 am
Last Post: rsb
  What proof and evidence is there for "atheism" to be accurate and correct? SavedByChrist94 42 21769 January 12, 2013 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: Aegrus
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12022 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38103 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack