Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are numbers Real #2
Are numbers Real #2
Guys, our decimal system we use to do maths with.
Is is ideal for complex maths/physics? Or does it just suit our monkey analogue brains?
Could it be stagnating our progress? When can we know if it is?

Also, curiously, does it have anything to do with us having 10 fingers?
Are there aliens out there with 8 fingers total who use a maths system based on 8? And have already developed warp drive via better maths/physics theory?

Ours, has gotten us pretty far so far, maybe all civilizations adopt the same system we use when they evolve a high enough mental capacity?
I'm leaning towards, one set of actual universal rules and laws of physics, but only one way to discover them. Our way. The decimal way. What say?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Are numbers Real #2
I’d say it’s pretty certain that we use base 10 because we have that many fingers. Any other base would work just as well in theory. (Lower bases will produce longer strings, while higher bases require more characters to remember.)

It’s the best tool we have for forming scientific models, and it’s working incredibly well. I wouldn’t doubt that there are better ways, and we shouldn’t give up hope of finding them. They may be beyond our current capabilities as a species, but we're always extending our reach via technology.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
[Image: 500_F_153065930_487kB1Xmu9xChBHOqD6JvrAdGWewOwFJ.jpg]

Romans were badass math masters for their time. While their savage opponents were doing warfare in more primitive way at that time, Roman Generals made hand sing's to direct backup much more efficiently and won themselves an empire.
(October 17, 2018 at 3:56 am)ignoramus Wrote: Guys, our decimal system we use to do maths with.
Is is ideal for complex maths/physics? Or does it just suit our monkey analogue brains?
Could it be stagnating our progress? When can we know if it is?

Also, curiously, does it have anything to do with us having 10 fingers?
Are there aliens out there with 8 fingers total who use a maths system based on 8? And have already developed warp drive via better maths/physics theory?

Ours, has gotten us pretty far so far, maybe all civilizations adopt the same system we use when they evolve a high enough mental capacity?
I'm leaning towards, one set of actual universal rules and laws of physics, but only one way to discover them. Our way. The decimal way. What say?

Nonsense. Base 8 has been in use since forever in computers, base 16 is de riguer, base 2 is fundamental to computers, the babylonians and the mayans used base 60, the aztecs used base 20. The number system is irrelevant.
Wow that’s cool. I didn’t know they came about that way (the Romans).

I was thinking what base 1 numbers would look like. I realised that it would just be adding a 1 every time. I’m not sure without checking whether that’s considered a valid system. It’s obviously very stupid, and is the equivalent of putting objects along the floor in a line. Weirdly, the 0 character would only ever appear once at the start.

Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(October 17, 2018 at 5:37 am)robvalue Wrote: Wow that’s cool. I didn’t know they came about that way (the Romans).

I was thinking what base 1 numbers would look like. I realised that it would just be adding a 1 every time. I’m not sure without checking whether that’s considered a valid system. It’s obviously very stupid, and is the equivalent of putting objects along the floor in a line. Weirdly, the 0 character would only ever appear once at the start.

You mean this?

[Image: binary-number-system-7-638.jpg?cb=1370228020]
(October 17, 2018 at 5:43 am)purplepurpose Wrote:
(October 17, 2018 at 5:37 am)robvalue Wrote: Wow that’s cool. I didn’t know they came about that way (the Romans).

You mean this?

[Image: binary-number-system-7-638.jpg?cb=1370228020]

That's base 2, which is of course totally valid and very useful. I was thinking what happens if you try to drop down to base 1. Technically it works but it’s rather pointless.

1111 (base 1) = 1 * 1^3 + 1 * 1^2 + 1 * 1^1 + 1 (base 10) = 4

Index of my best videos
REDACTED
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

It's called Unary and it is used in primitive accounting. Think marks on a tally stick for counting.
(October 17, 2018 at 4:37 am)robvalue Wrote: I’d say it’s pretty certain that we use base 10 because we have that many fingers.

Considering that it's a man's world I'm surprised we haven't been using base 11.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I hate odd numbers Ben Davis 40 3606 July 4, 2016 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Do you associate numbers with colors? Tea Earl Grey Hot 9 1769 November 4, 2012 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Annik