Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Tis the Season (almost) -- your favorite Nativity photos here!
'Tis the Season (almost) -- your favorite Nativity photos here!
Some new (at least for me), others old:

[Image: 18f.jpg]
RE: Tis the Season (almost) -- your favorite Nativity photos here!
[Image: a99912_Hipster-nativity.JPG]
RE: 'Tis the Season (almost) -- your favorite Nativity photos here!
[Image: 16206250_BG1.jpg]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Before Holloween even? You've got to be kidding.
Well, here's one I ended up writing in the last paragraph of a story I wrote:

Quote: There is a photograph of what happened that day. If you see it, you'll see Mary lying in her hospital bed, Mom on her left side, Dad on her right, and, on the other side of the frame, the doctor standing next to the two nurses, hands on a tray containing, dead center in the frame: a jar containing a dead, fleshy octopus.

It might not sound like it, but I did everything in my power to make sure that there were parallels with this story, from the eclipse that sets up the action in the first half of the story, the impossible pregnancy, the characters' names (I went so far as to look up the names Catholic tradition gave to The Virgin Mary's Parents, Joachim and Anna), a creepy evangelical neighbour whose strange attempt at blessing her is mistaken for an act of pedophilia, also the cruciform pattern the neighbours went into as they tried to get Mary ready after she had a concussion (leading to the discovery and removal of the octopus, the real cause of her condition.) In this light, I think it would be natural to see the parents as Mary and Joseph, the doctor and his nurses as the Wise Men, the Octopus as the Christ Child, and Mary perhaps as the Holy Spirit, because why the fuck not?

Also, as a strange note, this was the first paragraph.
Quote:While Bing Crosby was dreaming of a White Christmas, Mary was kneeling at the throne of her porcelain god. What was wrong with her, she thought? She couldn't be pregnant. She'd never gotten past first base with a guy. Certainly not since the time she spent with Joey in Florida.
Kind of reminds me of this:

For the record: No, I did not lift this from Stranger Things, and could not have done so, since the first draft (and this was always the opening image of the story) was written in mid-2013, a full three years before the series dropped on Netflix. And, for the record, I don't think the Duffer Brothers went to Columbia, either as students or teachers. Also, the initial impetus for the series came from watching a film that only premiered months after my story was initially finished. I guess a youth vomiting in the bathroom while a Bing Crosby sings "White Christmas" is just one of those universal storytelling motifs.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
‘‘Tis not the season, how dare you Dodgy

[Image: Box+Front_Small.png?format=750w]
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
[Image: Christmas-3-750x445.jpg]
I bet that has the Christians all salty.

Can’t wait for the annual war to begin.

#Saturnalia
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
RE: Tis the Season (almost) -- your favorite Nativity photos here!
(October 17, 2018 at 10:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: [Image: a99912_Hipster-nativity.JPG]

Haha that it so brilliant.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
[Image: de250a3bf5351e7b36aa8e0c29b70a97.jpg]
-- 
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your Favorite Scene Tulayhah-Asadi 4 348 August 10, 2020 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Get Your Reaction Gifs Here Shell B 7 652 March 4, 2019 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I wan't to express, that I disliked Rick and Morty season 3 Der/die AtheistIn 38 2567 February 6, 2019 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
Video Game of Thrones Season 7 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN] SteelCurtain 357 66820 January 28, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  X-Files season 11 (maybe) Foxaèr 10 1912 January 26, 2018 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
Tongue Let's talk Black Mirror season 4 Aoi Magi 23 3700 January 15, 2018 at 9:35 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  What is your favorite Disney movie? ƵenKlassen 37 4782 December 6, 2017 at 11:29 am
Last Post: KittyAnn
  What is your favorite Queen song? ƵenKlassen 19 2208 November 14, 2017 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Which is the best survivor season? ErGingerbreadMandude 4 1070 October 22, 2017 at 9:34 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Game of Thrones Season 7 trailer, "The Long Walk" Aegon 3 924 March 30, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless