Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could we teach a computer to lie?
Could we teach a computer to lie?
Not sure if this should be posted in philosophy or computers, so it goes in computers.

Could we teach a computer free will? Say for example, teach it to lie.

Well, it would only take a beginner's skill to make the computer say the sky is green, and a slightly less beginner's skill to say the sky is green after being asked what color the sky is. That however isn't really free will, it's just a computer responding with a pre-coded message to a certain input. It's only we the people that might interpret it to be a lie. The computer doesn't know what it's saying.

A lie is knowing the right answer, but giving the wrong answer for some possible benefit.

I do think it would be possible to give a computer some limited ability to lie.

Say you created a program. You have it set so that the computer asks a math question and gives the answer, but you give it the ability to choose a wrong answer to the math question. (I don't know how you could make it choose between true and false, but I'm sure it could be done.) That decision in and of itself would be random, but then it asks if it can continue. Its objective will be to continue asking more questions. You can respond with yes or no. If it says 2+2=5, can I continue? And you allow it to, you have just taught it that it will continue by giving the wrong answer to the math problem. If you tell it no, then you have taught it that giving the wrong answer will not allow it to continue. If you say no, it will have to retry. If you only allow it to progress each time by giving the right answer, and allow it to learn from this (as modern computers can be taught to learn), you will teach it that telling the truth results in a positive outcome, and same if you only allow it to progress by lying.

Now that's not really free will exactly, that's just the computer learning what choice has a better probability of accomplishing its goal.

However, if you give it the option to ask complex questions that might take a while to answer, and you just green light it no matter what answer it gives, while only allowing it to progress as true on the easier answers, you have just taught it to use a bit of strategy in its decision as to where to apply a lie. Always tell the truth on the easy questions, get away with telling a lie on the harder ones.

At this point, the only difference between a computer lying and a human lying, is that a human will do it out of impulse due to fear of consequences. Beyond that, there's little difference. You will effectively give the computer free will.
RE: Would we teach a computer to lie?
My PC says it would never lie.
Mine said "fuck off."
(October 27, 2018 at 12:03 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Mine said "fuck off."

"Can't say that I blame it." (Etta Candy, "Wonder Woman".)
RE: Could we teach a computer to lie?
Compatibilist and Determinist conceptions of free will have no obstacles to being implemented on a computer as they, ultimately, simply model 'will' as the outcome of a calculation based on relevant factors input into the decision. Oddly enough, libertarian free will does something similar in modeling will as the confluence between personality (the soul) and the relevant reasons and such that apply to the choice under consideration. The only sense in which this differs from compatibilist and determinist conceptions of free will is in asserting that the behavior or traits of personality aren't themselves deterministic, but rather are the result of an indeterminately free will. If that latter is the case, then a computer likely could not model that form of decision making. It's somewhat implicit in the very definition of such libertarian free will that it cannot be modeled by a deterministic process. Which, in some ways, insulates it from any attempted disproof. At bottom, then, libertarian free will becomes an assertion not appealing to any facts. It's true that by definition it could not be modeled by a computer, but things that are only true solely through definition and assertion are not particularly interesting, nor particularly likely to be true.

I explored what I think is a relevant model for our will, here, which provides a process which can readily be implemented by a computer.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Short answer, yes.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
If Kent Hovind programmed it, I'd say no question.
At work.

If we can create programs to 'Lie' and do so convincingly?

Human writers of every ilk may then find themselves facing possibly quickly stiffening competition at creating prose.

If the machines can 'Speak', might singers/song writers not be far behind?

After all, what is fiction/fantasy but whimsical and entertaining lies?
We already have accomplished it. Have you not read of the bots spreading fake news on Facebook and Twitter?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apple computer! zebo-the-fat 8 650 September 22, 2023 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: SuperSentient
  Ever feel like eating your computer? paulpablo 9 1112 October 9, 2016 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What computer do you have? paulpablo 67 11033 September 29, 2016 at 9:22 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Computer memory and storage dyresand 22 3196 June 29, 2016 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Any computer nerds here? Hard reboots abaris 37 7060 March 31, 2016 at 7:57 am
Last Post: rado84
  Time to build a new computer ... Aractus 34 6319 August 14, 2014 at 6:40 am
Last Post: Nine
  The Computer Thread wolf39us 45 10257 July 1, 2014 at 8:38 am
Last Post: Jaysyn
  Technology, video, phone & computer questions Angrboda 26 5634 January 1, 2014 at 2:21 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Heretic Becomes a Businessman: The story of computer repair Creed of Heresy 4 2396 April 8, 2013 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt
  new computer paulpablo 11 5007 March 14, 2013 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Angrboda