Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exodus 21
Exodus 21
Who thinks these laws were inspired by an all-knowing divine being?

21 “Now these are the rules that you shall set before them. When you buy a Hebrew slave,[a] he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing. If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out alone. But if the slave plainly says, ‘I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free,’ then his master shall bring him to God, and he shall bring him to the door or the doorpost. And his master shall bore his ear through with an awl, and he shall be his slave forever.
“When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she shall not go out as the male slaves do. If she does not please her master, who has designated her[b] for himself, then he shall let her be redeemed. He shall have no right to sell her to a foreign people, since he has broken faith with her. If he designates her for his son, he shall deal with her as with a daughter. 10 If he takes another wife to himself, he shall not diminish her food, her clothing, or her marital rights. 11 And if he does not do these three things for her, she shall go out for nothing, without payment of money.
12 “Whoever strikes a man so that he dies shall be put to death. 13 But if he did not lie in wait for him, but God let him fall into his hand, then I will appoint for you a place to which he may flee. 14 But if a man willfully attacks another to kill him by cunning, you shall take him from my altar, that he may die.
15 “Whoever strikes his father or his mother shall be put to death.
16 “Whoever steals a man and sells him, and anyone found in possession of him, shall be put to death.
17 “Whoever curses[c] his father or his mother shall be put to death.
18 “When men quarrel and one strikes the other with a stone or with his fist and the man does not die but takes to his bed, 19 then if the man rises again and walks outdoors with his staff, he who struck him shall be clear; only he shall pay for the loss of his time, and shall have him thoroughly healed.
20 “When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. 21 But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.
22 “When men strive together and hit a pregnant woman, so that her children come out, but there is no harm, the one who hit her shall surely be fined, as the woman's husband shall impose on him, and he shall pay as the judges determine. 23 But if there is harm,[d] then you shall pay life for life, 24 eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.
26 “When a man strikes the eye of his slave, male or female, and destroys it, he shall let the slave go free because of his eye. 27 If he knocks out the tooth of his slave, male or female, he shall let the slave go free because of his tooth.
28 “When an ox gores a man or a woman to death, the ox shall be stoned, and its flesh shall not be eaten, but the owner of the ox shall not be liable. 29 But if the ox has been accustomed to gore in the past, and its owner has been warned but has not kept it in, and it kills a man or a woman, the ox shall be stoned, and its owner also shall be put to death. 30 If a ransom is imposed on him, then he shall give for the redemption of his life whatever is imposed on him. 31 If it gores a man's son or daughter, he shall be dealt with according to this same rule. 32 If the ox gores a slave, male or female, the owner shall give to their master thirty shekels[e] of silver, and the ox shall be stoned.

33 “When a man opens a pit, or when a man digs a pit and does not cover it, and an ox or a donkey falls into it, 34 the owner of the pit shall make restoration. He shall give money to its owner, and the dead beast shall be his.
35 “When one man's ox butts another's, so that it dies, then they shall sell the live ox and share its price, and the dead beast also they shall share. 36 Or if it is known that the ox has been accustomed to gore in the past, and its owner has not kept it in, he shall repay ox for ox, and the dead beast shall be his.
RE: Exodus 21
(November 3, 2018 at 11:56 am)Bahana Wrote: Who thinks these laws were inspired by an all-knowing divine being?

Not me.
I'd be more impressed if somewhere, anywhere, in the Bible it said, 'Owning other people is bad, so don't do it.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I do considering no economy of any nation ever created has not been built on the backs of slaves that was successful. Meaning only an all knowing God knew the society needed slaves in order to get on it's feet and support it self. and I think this is evidence of an agape' filled God as no such rules has ever protected the rights of a slave. wich to this point and even after never been done. Meaning man never has been unprompted to mandate slave rights.
(November 5, 2018 at 10:27 am)Drich Wrote: I do considering no economy of any nation ever created has not been built on the backs of slaves that was successful. Meaning only an all knowing God knew the society needed slaves in order to get on it's feet and support it self. and I think this is evidence of an agape' filled God as no such rules has ever protected the rights of a slave. wich to this point and even after never been done. Meaning man never has been unprompted to mandate slave rights.

So God was right to support economic boom at the expanse of people? I mean, economic prosperity is holy, right?
(November 5, 2018 at 10:45 am)purplepurpose Wrote:
(November 5, 2018 at 10:27 am)Drich Wrote: I do considering no economy of any nation ever created has not been built on the backs of slaves that was successful. Meaning only an all knowing God knew the society needed slaves in order to get on it's feet and support it self. and I think this is evidence of an agape' filled God as no such rules has ever protected the rights of a slave. wich to this point and even after never been done. Meaning man never has been unprompted to mandate slave rights.

So God was right to support economic boom at the expanse of people? I mean, economic prosperity is holy, right?

how about economic survival. how about that is what ALL your nasty ancestors were if not slaves themselves were also doing without a thought to regulation or rights.

Remember whatever you have to say here you only condemn your hypocritical selves. even today nothing has changed only our vocabulary concerning those who work dependant on the company because they do not get paid a living wage. (which is 2/3 of the planet) who would otherwise starve without their slave wage jobs.
Dripshit considers "slavery" the good old days.  I'd love to see your sorry ass on the other end of the whip, asswipe.
(November 5, 2018 at 11:50 am)Minimalist Wrote: Dripshit considers "slavery" the good old days.  I'd love to see your sorry ass on the other end of the whip, asswipe.

He embraces idea that God one way or another is his Eternal Master. That's just as bad as slavery in some sense. And as it turns out doubts and thoughts of apostasy are countered with hell among believers. Even slaves didn't had shit like that.
I wonder how many slave owners have referred to verse 21 to remind them to properly beat their slaves. As long as they can get back on their feet after a day's rest then the beating was fine.
(November 5, 2018 at 1:29 pm)Bahana Wrote: I wonder how many slave owners have referred to verse 21 to remind them to properly beat their slaves. As long as they can get back on their feet after a day's rest then the beating was fine.

All of them did as again verse 21 among others greatly restricted the volume any tye of punishment an owner could dole out. so rather than be beaten or stoned themselves all owners made sure they were indeed right with the law first..

Again without God, nothing your ancestors did regulated the treatment of slaves in this era. God and his followers were insane minority radicals for their beliefs and insanely good treatment of slaves, or so YOUR PEOPLE THOUGHT in this very same apples to apples comparative era.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  rewriting the bible part 2 - exodus dyresand 68 14436 March 21, 2016 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Aractus
  For those who want proof of the exodus Drich 868 134721 February 11, 2016 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Drich
  Exodus, Gods and Kings. Jacob(smooth) 34 8740 July 5, 2015 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  If the Exodus didn't happen, the Jews wouldn't put themselves under the Mosaic law Dolorian 57 13275 November 5, 2014 at 7:23 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Christians: Please explain the Exodus Aractus 274 21160 October 3, 2014 at 12:28 pm
  Exodus 21: 20-21 atheist04330 2 1162 July 17, 2014 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Exodus International shuts right the hell down. Esquilax 50 18123 June 24, 2013 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Was the Exodus natural or supernatural, fact or fiction? Greatest I am 71 18651 February 9, 2013 at 10:02 pm