Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was the Exodus natural or supernatural, fact or fiction?

I have always had a problem with the notion that God would have hardened Pharaoh’s soft heart and pave the way for him to kill/murder the first born of Egypt. For God to do so would have been evil indeed.

Do you think that science has explained the purported miracles as natural phenomena?

From what I can see, the Jews who wrote the story did not take it literally.

http://www.raceandhistory.com/historical...exodus.htm

Should Christians recognize the O T stories as natural or supernatural, fact or fiction?

Regards
DL
RE: Was the Exodus natural or supernatural, fact or fiction?
The events of the exodus could be down to the eruption of the super volcanoe at Santorini.

The Red sea could be a miss translation of Reed Sea which is a marshy area filled with reeds.

https://sites.google.com/site/youngebook...odus-Ebook

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

If God is the God of the Natural universe then why is He only limited to moving in supernatural ways?
Doesn't make more since that the God who put into places all of the governing laws of nature, use said nature to accomplish what He will?

What attributes the events in Exodus to God is not how they came to happen, but that God fortold of them, and used them to as a means to accomplish His end goals.
As far as the archaeological evidence is concerned it didn't happen. Nor is there any mention of Jews living as slaves in Egypt anywhere in any of the writtren records the Egyptians kept. But there are two things of interest.

1) Moses is an Egyptian not a Hebrew name.
2) The very first monotheistic religion originated in ancient Egypt.
There is no evidence that a slave force escaped from Egypt. Really, the idea of it goes against everything we know about Egyptian culture. Egypt kept to itself and took care of it's citizens. Slaves didn't build the pyramids, workers did during the flood season. They were fed and clothed. Even women enjoyed a lot of freedoms in those days. The Exodus doesn't make sense and seeing how it wasn't even written down by the Hebrews until Babylon held their leaders as hostages during the Neo-Babylonian era, I doubt it's accurate.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(February 4, 2013 at 3:02 pm)Drich Wrote: If God is the God of the Natural universe then why is He only limited to moving in supernatural ways?
Doesn't make more since that the God who put into places all of the governing laws of nature, use said nature to accomplish what He will?

What attributes the events in Exodus to God is not how they came to happen, but that God fortold of them, and used them to as a means to accomplish His end goals.

If he used the natural laws of the nature he created, why did he deliberately try to make us believe they were miracles?

Accomplish what end goals?? The muslims control Jerusalem and show no signs of leaving. Moses was lead on a fools errand.
I'm kidding of course about Moses. It seems futile to mock fictional characters.
[Image: Evolution.png]

I dont care if it happend or if it didnt happen.

How the hell would it have any effect on my daily life?
I would like to see how far it goes in peer review.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
Fiction, never happened.
Bullshit from the word "go."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Natural family planning LinuxGal 75 7433 January 1, 2023 at 10:30 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  [Serious] fact finding mission for non-Christians tackattack 52 4292 March 7, 2019 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Exodus 21 Bahana 69 6498 November 9, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Supernatural denial, atheistic hypocrisy? Victory123 56 9451 February 1, 2018 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Wanted: Christians who reject the supernatural and a literal afterlife. Whateverist 48 12049 October 20, 2017 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  The Holy Bible - fact or fiction? val5662 101 13248 March 28, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  rewriting the bible part 2 - exodus dyresand 68 14437 March 21, 2016 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Aractus
  For those who want proof of the exodus Drich 868 134818 February 11, 2016 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Drich
  Hell.. so yeah let's fact check dyresand 6 2274 September 1, 2015 at 11:55 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Let's get the fact's straight dyresand 74 11426 July 10, 2015 at 1:57 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd