Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Must logic exist?
Must logic exist?
Is it possible for logic to not exist? Must it exist?

If logic doesn't exist then, logically, that means it doesn't exist.... but since that logically means it mustn't then isn't that logical so therefore it must?
RE: Must logic exist?
Yes logic must exist, you would need a logical framework within which to prove logic does not exist, so therefore logic would be a necessity.
If nothing exists though, does logic exist? If it must, according to my argument, then it's not possible for nothing to exist because logic must exist.
"Nothing" is a concept and exists only as a concept. Nothing, by definition, doesn't exist because it is no thing. It is not equal to itself because a thing has to exist to be equal to itself. Nothing is illogical.
Good point. That seems to resolve the paradox of logical nothing.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
In my other thread I already argue that everything is logical and nothing is illogical.

Here I'm arguing that maybe logic MUST exist?

If logic necessarily exists, then existence is necessary, if only as logic. So it answers the old question "Why is there something rather than nothing?", "Why does anything exist at all"? Answer: Because something must exist.... because logic must exist... and logic must be something otherwise it isn't anything, and so doesn't exist. That is my point.
But isn't logic merely a conceptual scheme which describes what must necessarily be when things exist? As no things exist if there is nothing, logic can't describe them.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
Is not logic absolute? If a rock remains, logically, a rock and not not a rock even if there are no minds to conceive of the CONCEPT of logic, doesn't logic still exist?

Is it really that logic doesn't exist outside of the concept of logic? Or is it actually the case that logic is the ONLY thing that exists? Everything is logic because logic is the sum of all logical things and all things are logical because of the Law of Identity?
Perhaps, but logic may just be a constraint on our thinking which arose because we exist in a universe where the law of identity holds. Could there be a universe with entirely different logical laws? I'm not sure. Also, I wouldn't say that logic is the sum of all logical things; rather, it is what is necessarily common to all logical things by virtue of their being logical (and perhps by virtue of their existing as things at all).

Whatever those logical laws are, those logical laws must, then, be those logical laws, whatever they are. So our 'normal' kind of logic must also apply even if there are somehow also "other" kinds.

Quote:Also, I wouldn't say that logic is the sum of all logical things; rather, it is what is necessarily common to all logical things by virtue of their being logical (and perhps by virtue of their existing as things at all).

This comes down to Universal Idealism or Universal Realism. I generally accept Universal Idealism but I would accept one form of Universal Realism: I am quite happy to say that "Redness" exists for example, if I am to say that "Redness" is merely the totality of all things that are Red. And I can use this the same way with logic.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does a natural "god" maybe exist? Skeptic201 19 1664 November 27, 2022 at 7:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3588 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Do Chairs Exist? vulcanlogician 93 6885 September 29, 2021 at 11:41 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The evolution of logic ignoramus 3 919 October 7, 2019 at 7:34 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Let us go back to "cold" hard logic."Time" Mystic 75 11305 November 10, 2017 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  If Aliens Exist, Where Are They? Severan 21 5160 July 14, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Logic Fallacies: A Quiz to Test Your Knowledge, A Cheat Sheet to Refresh It Rhondazvous 0 987 March 6, 2017 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4546 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Is the self all that can be known to exist? Excited Penguin 132 15100 December 15, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Existence must exist at all times. Edwardo Piet 41 8622 November 28, 2016 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet