Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 10:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Higgins/Magnum PI and my mom......
Higgins/Magnum PI and my mom......
If anyone here has taken care of an elderly parent, like I had, then you can understand what I am about to tell you. 

Many here have read about my mom's health problems and decline. But long before her final decline, she was always stubborn in doing things on her own.

So just now watching an old episode of the original Magnum PI, Higgins ends up in the hospital. And just like my mom in real life, complained about being stuck with being poked and prodded, and the noise of the equipment, and interruptions of the staff. Always insisted in moving on her own, even when it was not advantageous and she needed help.

So here I am watching Higgins  in this episode doing the same thing. In the hospital, defying staff, defying friends. 

I know it is only a show, but it reminded me of the good side of the human spirit, and the stubbornness of our species too. My mom never liked accepting help.
RE: Higgins/Magnum PI and my mom......
Hugs man. I know you two were close. Heart
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(November 14, 2018 at 12:41 pm)Joods Wrote: Hugs man. I know you two were close. Heart

I am not sad , it is simply a bittersweet memory of the conflict of trying to let her be herself and encourage her, and also having to make the tough decision of stepping in. 

My mom loved Higgins in the original series. 

"OH MY GOD" was our favorite line by him. And we both loved it when Zues and Apollo chased Magnum across the property. This particular episode simply reminded me of her determination, which wasn't bad in and of itself, but was frustrating at the same time when she pushed herself a little too much sometimes.
I'm glad you aren't sad. Memories are good sometimes. December 23 will make 23 years since my dad passed away. I can't believe how many years it's been already.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(November 14, 2018 at 12:56 pm)Joods Wrote: I'm glad you aren't sad. Memories are good sometimes. December 23 will make 23 years since my dad passed away. I can't believe how many years it's been already.

Well the amazing thing about her, even after she made her final decision to not do anything more, she kept a brave face for me, even though both of us knew what was coming. Every morning she made an effort even when seemingly "out" of it, to squeeze my hand to let me know she was still there. And many people there and her friends told me how much she was worried about how I would do, after.  Amazing woman is an understatement. 

Higgins simply reminded me of her determination in that episode today.
Reminds me of my grandfather, who had Parkinson's. He was an incredible man. Started out small, selling papers and cleaning toilets to support his family when he was a kid. Had to keep his own educational dreams aside to pursue a path that would support four younger siblings and two aging parents. Became a civil engineer, went through so many ups and downs but always pulled through. My father says he never realized, as a kid, how many times they, as a family, were literally one step away from being homeless, because my grandfather never let them know how tough things were at times. 
As Parkinson's set in a few years ago and he started losing his independence, he too stubbornly resisted help. He kept asking about my father's business, even though he eventually began to think my father (his son) was his brother. He would spend hours wondering if the check he'd sent had bounced. (These were all hallucinations, he'd retired over ten years ago, and was financially completely stable by this point.) He would think people had called him to arrange a meeting and weren't showing up. He stopped recognizing me and thought I was a client. But through all this he never asked for help, never told us he was confused. He acted like everything was fine. He was on 20 pills a day at some point, but asked for his 6 teas a day even until he was in the ICU on a saline. 
I get it. It hurts, and it's bittersweet, but it's a reminder of how strong these people were even when they had every reason not to be.
The word bed actually looks like a bed. 
Watching another repeat today. I really love, and miss their interactions as characters. They drove each other nuts, but always had each other's back when the shit hit the fan.
What do you think of the new version?
Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
(November 28, 2018 at 7:59 pm)outtathereligioncloset Wrote: What do you think of the new version?

Not as good, although I do like the Female Higgins. But I am sure younger generations born after the original will like it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Magnum PI, Higgens is female. Brian37 16 663 August 4, 2018 at 9:32 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris