Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
quality of life or life for life's sake
quality of life or life for life's sake
Biologically, which is better or more the goal of a species:
quality of life OR life for life's sake?

new topic for me because I saw some flamers oon another site up in arms about it. Thoughts? I really haven't had time to cogitate yet.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake
Which is better, qol for the few or misery for many?  The answers seems to be neither.  We need to find a middle ground.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 23, 2018 at 1:27 pm)tackattack Wrote: Biologically, which is better or more the goal of a species:

new topic for me because I saw some flamers oon another site up in arms about it. Thoughts? I really haven't had time to cogitate yet.

The question can be rephrased, I think, as Life for which life’s sake?
(November 23, 2018 at 1:27 pm)tackattack Wrote: Biologically, which is better or more the goal of a species:

I saw that too. Makes me feel like crap really. But then, I feel that way everyday. I, that thought the bosses at my work were just a bunch of no good do nothing pricks. Until I became a boss myself. Sucks. no win situations. Human beings have prides of their own and are bound to them.

It does makes me feel bad for all the work I have done here over the years. But then, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Not remotely scared of that imaginary place, it's a metaphore.

Biology seems to say "the more the merrier."
(November 23, 2018 at 1:53 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

Biology seems to say "the more the merrier."

Not necessarily. Evolution has clearly selected for long gestation and low birth rate in many species.
We're pushing 8 billion assholes on this planet.  Someone is doing a lot of procreating!
(November 23, 2018 at 2:06 pm)Minimalist Wrote: We're pushing 8 billion assholes on this planet.  Someone is doing a lot of procreating!

That’s because our goody two shoe science doesn’t hold grudges and doesn’t let those who would deny it and its findings die in infancy or expire due to easily treatable diesease.

Science needs to keep and settle scores if you ask me.

Doesn't this depend on the species? Some just have life, there is no concern (the ability for concern?) for quality or quantity.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Quote:Science needs to keep and settle scores if you ask me.

No argument here.