Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Human baby gene editing is here?
Human baby gene editing is here?
No ones sure if it's actually been done yet or not, but that's the claim. A chinese scientist states that he has modified embryo with CRISPR to make them impervious to HIV infection. The reason, the sperm donor (father) was HIV positive. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot...dit-babies

Apparently the scientific community is in a bit of a uproar. It seems like the position is "too much, too soon" and in this case "unnecessary". 

I don't really see that much wrong with it. We new it would be eventually used.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Human baby gene editing is here?
This is terrible news.  If gene splicing can make people immune to disease, how the hell is God supposed send plagues to punish the ungodly??

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
So maybe, just maybe - stupid CAN be fixed.....

Great
(November 29, 2018 at 9:30 am)onlinebiker Wrote: So maybe, just maybe - stupid CAN be fixed.....

Great

Get on that list as fast as you can, mate.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 29, 2018 at 9:30 am)onlinebiker Wrote: So maybe, just maybe - stupid CAN be fixed.....

Great

Only in specific cases.
The issue here seems to be the scientists in question did this more or less on their own, bypassing the normal procedures for approval and ethical review processes in the institutions for which they nominally work.

For example, One of the scientist apparently did this while on leave from the university in which he holds a professionship.   He claim to work with a hospital but the hospital denied collaborating with him or agreeing to let him work with any of their patient.   His ethics filing is apparently under invsigation and said to be illegitimate. He apparently negotiated the consent from the children’s parents on his own. In China it is apparently illegal to do this without a neutral qualified intermediary.
China, illegal???,............. yeah, OK.
(November 29, 2018 at 10:56 am)wyzas Wrote: China, illegal???,............. yeah, OK.

Yeah.  There,  The likes of Trump would have been arrested, tried and found guilty, shot, the crime he was found to be guilty of then inserted into the law code and the new law code published, in that sequence, in under 60 minutes.

The notion that anything goes there is a caricature.
(November 29, 2018 at 9:32 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Great

Get on that list as fast as you can, mate.

Boru

Go fuck yourself - hard as you can - mate...
(November 29, 2018 at 12:42 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
[quote='onlinebiker' pid='1860485' dateline='1543498224']
So maybe, just maybe - stupid CAN be fixed.....

Great

Can be prevented by gene manipulation,   Can not be fixed by gene manipulation.   Sorry. Too late for you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religious psychosis of Gene Wilder Fake Messiah 36 1987 September 13, 2023 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  On the consciousness of a new born baby Macoleco 8 788 April 7, 2022 at 7:22 am
Last Post: brewer
  Gene therapy restores sight in mice. brewer 9 734 December 23, 2020 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Editing the "germ line" with CRISPR AKA "eugenics" Duty 9 1069 March 26, 2020 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Crazy Gene brewer 2 692 January 28, 2016 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Baby raccoons IATIA 7 1564 November 23, 2015 at 12:28 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Churches oppose three-person baby plan zebo-the-fat 36 6755 February 3, 2015 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Selfish Gene Theory Mudhammam 18 6637 February 1, 2014 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Next-Gen Test Tube Baby Born pineapplebunnybounce 4 2387 July 12, 2013 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  ‘Adventurous’ Woman Needed as Surrogate for Neanderthal Baby TaraJo 25 7753 January 29, 2013 at 2:40 am
Last Post: Cinjin