Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gene therapy restores sight in mice.
Gene therapy restores sight in mice.
Gene carried by adeno-associated virus is delivered to the target cells.

"A newly developed light-sensing protein called the MCO1 opsin restores vision in blind mice when attached to retina bipolar cells using gene therapy, according to The National Eye Institute, which provided an SBIR grant to Nanoscope for development of MCO1. The company is planning a clinical trial for later this year."

"A variety of common eye diseases, including age-related macular degeneration and retinitis pigmentosa, damage the photoreceptors, impairing vision. But while the photoreceptors may no longer fully function, other retinal neurons (bipolar cells) remain intact. The team identified a way for bipolar cells to take on some of the work of damaged photoreceptors."

https://www.genengnews.com/news/gene-the...n-in-mice/
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Gene therapy restores sight in mice.
(December 22, 2020 at 10:02 pm)brewer Wrote: Gene carried by adeno-associated virus is delivered to the target cells.

"A newly developed light-sensing protein called the MCO1 opsin restores vision in blind mice when attached to retina bipolar cells using gene therapy, according to The National Eye Institute, which provided an SBIR grant to Nanoscope for development of MCO1. The company is planning a clinical trial for later this year."

"A variety of common eye diseases, including age-related macular degeneration and retinitis pigmentosa, damage the photoreceptors, impairing vision. But while the photoreceptors may no longer fully function, other retinal neurons (bipolar cells) remain intact. The team identified a way for bipolar cells to take on some of the work of damaged photoreceptors."

Very good news. RP was pretty common in my family in the previous generation as well as the one before that.  It appears to have run its course in the family tree, thankfully.  But I watched relatives deal with their advancing blindness and there being nothing that could be done about it.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Three blind mice
See how they run
They all ran way from the doctor's knife 
Avoided the RNA/DNA splice
Stevie Wonder was shocked and Surprised 
Three blind mice
(December 22, 2020 at 10:22 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Three blind mice
See how they run
Three blind mice

You are an awful human being.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(December 22, 2020 at 10:25 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
See how they run
Three blind mice

I thought you were going to say something else. Coffee
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(December 22, 2020 at 10:25 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
See how they run
Three blind mice

You did note that animals were used to test in this?

I am very happy that they did. 

I was using humor. Nothing more.

If the testing mentioned in the OP helps cure blindness, I am all for it.
(December 22, 2020 at 10:06 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(December 22, 2020 at 10:02 pm)brewer Wrote: Gene carried by adeno-associated virus is delivered to the target cells.

Very good news. RP was pretty common in my family in the previous generation as well as the one before that.  It appears to have run its course in the family tree, thankfully.  But I watched relatives deal with their advancing blindness and there being nothing that could be done about it.

RP was a common problem due to the over-oxygenation of premature infants. Were there a lot of premies in your family history?

While the Irrational Poe...et is on my ignore list, I still witness his lunacy from time to time. Stevie Wonder is not completely blind, FWIW. I know a guy who knows him, and he explained it to me.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(December 22, 2020 at 10:57 pm)Fireball Wrote:
(December 22, 2020 at 10:06 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Very good news. RP was pretty common in my family in the previous generation as well as the one before that.  It appears to have run its course in the family tree, thankfully.  But I watched relatives deal with their advancing blindness and there being nothing that could be done about it.

RP was a common problem due to the over-oxygenation of premature infants. Were there a lot of premies in your family history?

While the Irrational Poe...et is on my ignore list, I still witness his lunacy from time to time. Stevie Wonder is not completely blind, FWIW. I know a guy who knows him, and he explained it to me.

Not trying to be a know it all but I think you might be confused. RP is retinitis pigmentosa (genetic-not oxygen concentration related-rods/cones effected). ROP (retinopathy of prematurity) or retrolental fibroplasia is what occurs in premies on O2 and is vascular related.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(December 22, 2020 at 10:57 pm)Fireball Wrote:
(December 22, 2020 at 10:06 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Very good news. RP was pretty common in my family in the previous generation as well as the one before that.  It appears to have run its course in the family tree, thankfully.  But I watched relatives deal with their advancing blindness and there being nothing that could be done about it.

My great grandmother had over a dozen pregnancies.  Two babies survived and the losses were attributed to the Rh factor.  I am not sure about any premature births.  
Her one surviving daughter had RP and it was passed on to her son.  He didn't have any biological children so it stopped there as he was an only child. 

My grandfather was the other surviving child and it passed to one of my aunts.  Grandpa had vision issues but they were attributed to years of looking at the sun  shining on the ocean as he was a boat captain.  My aunt that was effected had one son who does not have it.  None of the others in my generation have it and it hasn't been passed to any of our children or grandchildren, so I think it's pretty much been diluted out of the family line.

(December 22, 2020 at 11:22 pm)brewer Wrote:
(December 22, 2020 at 10:57 pm)Fireball Wrote: RP was a common problem due to the over-oxygenation of premature infants. Were there a lot of premies in your family history?

Not trying to be a know it all but I think you might be confused. RP is retinitis pigmentosa (genetic-not oxygen concentration related-rods/cones effected). ROP (retinopathy of prematurity) or retrolental fibroplasia is what occurs in premies on O2 and is vascular related.

No problem, I think that I just have some vague memory of the information. I learned something today!
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religious psychosis of Gene Wilder Fake Messiah 36 1894 September 13, 2023 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Human baby gene editing is here? brewer 9 1063 November 29, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Stem cell therapy with MS brewer 45 8145 March 24, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  One more disgusting item about mice vorlon13 26 2228 December 10, 2017 at 10:59 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  The Crazy Gene brewer 2 691 January 28, 2016 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Selfish Gene Theory Mudhammam 18 6635 February 1, 2014 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Light-powered bionic eye invented to help restore sight zebo-the-fat 7 4078 June 13, 2012 at 5:37 am
Last Post: frankiej
  Mystery of horse taming 'solved' by gene study frankiej 8 3929 May 10, 2012 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  Restoring sight for the Blind Welsh cake 9 4501 May 4, 2012 at 1:06 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Black death gene code reconstructed frankiej 2 1527 October 12, 2011 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels