Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disbelief in human evolution linked to racism & prejudice
Disbelief in human evolution linked to racism & prejudice
A disbelief in human evolution was associated with higher levels of prejudice, racist attitudes and support of discriminatory behavior against Blacks, immigrants and the LGBTQ community in the U.S., according to University of Massachusetts Amherst research published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

The data analysis showed unfailingly "that the disbelief in human evolution is the driving factor and most consistent predictor of prejudice in comparison to other relevant constructs," the paper states.

In the Israel-based study, people with a higher belief in evolution were more likely to support peace among Palestinians, Arabs and Jews. In the study involving countries in the Islamic world, belief in evolution was associated with less prejudice toward Christians and Jews. And in the study based in Eastern Europe, where Orthodox Christians are the majority, a belief in evolution was linked with less prejudice toward gypsies, Jews and Muslims. 

Syropoulos posits that a belief in evolution may expand people's "moral circle," leading to a sense that "we have more in common than things that are different." 

The findings also suggest that "teaching evolution seems to have side effects that might make for a better or more harmonious society," Leidner adds.

https://phys.org/news/2022-04-disbelief-...eater.html
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Disbelief in human evolution linked to racism & prejudice
Those with the temperament to prefer fantasy to reality prefers fantasies in which they are privileged and above other people.

would you have expected otherwise?
Yeah, the Bible Belt fought hardest to maintain slavery.

Or look at the long history of apartheid in South Africa, evolution was not allowed to be taught.
The Christian National Education system was formalized in 1948 and accepted as national policy from 1967 to 1993. The policy excluded the concept of evolution, taught a version of history that negatively characterized nonwhites, and made Bible education, including the teaching of creationism, and religious assemblies compulsory.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
I don't know the details of the study, but I wonder if the correlation doesn't go the other way. (ie. bigoted and narrow-minded people don't like to do much studying, and therefore aren't familiar enough with the facts to realize how plausible a theory evolution is.)
(April 5, 2022 at 1:19 pm)yea vulcanlogician Wrote: I don't know the details of the study, but I wonder if the correlation doesn't go the other way. (ie. bigoted and narrow-minded people don't like to do much studying, and therefore aren't familiar enough with the facts to realize how plausible a theory evolution is.)

i am not sure there is any directionality from one to the other.   rather it seems to me the two both arise out of, or at least are eased and expedited by, the same underlying thing.
(April 5, 2022 at 10:12 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: A disbelief in human evolution was associated with higher levels of prejudice, racist attitudes and support of discriminatory behavior against Blacks, immigrants and the LGBTQ community in the U.S., according to University of Massachusetts Amherst research published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

The data analysis showed unfailingly "that the disbelief in human evolution is the driving factor and most consistent predictor of prejudice in comparison to other relevant constructs," the paper states.

In the Israel-based study, people with a higher belief in evolution were more likely to support peace among Palestinians, Arabs and Jews. In the study involving countries in the Islamic world, belief in evolution was associated with less prejudice toward Christians and Jews. And in the study based in Eastern Europe, where Orthodox Christians are the majority, a belief in evolution was linked with less prejudice toward gypsies, Jews and Muslims. 

Syropoulos posits that a belief in evolution may expand people's "moral circle," leading to a sense that "we have more in common than things that are different." 

The findings also suggest that "teaching evolution seems to have side effects that might make for a better or more harmonious society," Leidner adds.

Not surprising really, disbelief in evolution is overwhelmingly based among those who believe in an exclusionary and discriminatory religion.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(April 5, 2022 at 1:29 pm)Nomad Wrote:
(April 5, 2022 at 10:12 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: A disbelief in human evolution was associated with higher levels of prejudice, racist attitudes and support of discriminatory behavior against Blacks, immigrants and the LGBTQ community in the U.S., according to University of Massachusetts Amherst research published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

Not surprising really, disbelief in evolution is overwhelmingly based among those who believe in an exclusionary and discriminatory religion.

most buddhists don’t believe in evolution either. 

Some discriminatory minds embrace evolution because it appears to provide a naturalistic sounding justification for discrimination.
(April 5, 2022 at 3:30 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(April 5, 2022 at 1:29 pm)Nomad Wrote: Not surprising really, disbelief in evolution is overwhelmingly based among those who believe in an exclusionary and discriminatory religion.

most buddhists don’t believe in evolution either. 

Some discriminatory minds embrace evolution because it appears to provide a naturalistic sounding justification for discrimination.

Actually, most Buddhists (81%) do accept evolution. In fact, they are the religious group most accepting of biological evolution as the best explanation of biodiversity.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2009/02/04/religious-differences-on-the-question-of-evolution/

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 5, 2022 at 3:44 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(April 5, 2022 at 3:30 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: most buddhists don’t believe in evolution either. 

Actually, most Buddhists (81%) do accept evolution. In fact, they are the religious group most accepting of biological evolution as the best explanation of biodiversity.

[/url][url=https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2009/02/04/religious-differences-on-the-question-of-evolution/]https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2009/02/04/religious-differences-on-the-question-of-evolution/

Boru

I believe that on based on buddhists in the US.   Buddhism has no historic or cultural tradition in the US.  Those who self identify as buddhists who emigrate to the US are on average far more highly educated than the average buddhist in countries of their origin.   

I have some personal experience with buddhists from south east asia, particularly Malaysia, Nepal and Burma,  They seem typically vehemently, or as vehemently as buddhist continences allow, anti evolution. 

They confidently rebut evolution with the same things heard on US senatorial campaign circuit: “If monkeys became men, why are there still monkeys”.
(April 5, 2022 at 1:27 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(April 5, 2022 at 1:19 pm)yea vulcanlogician Wrote: I don't know the details of the study, but I wonder if the correlation doesn't go the other way. (ie. bigoted and narrow-minded people don't like to do much studying, and therefore aren't familiar enough with the facts to realize how plausible a theory evolution is.)

i am not sure there is any directionality from one to the other.   rather it seems to me the two both arise out of, or at least are eased and expedited by, the same underlying thing.

Good point. I concur that it would be hard to establish directionality one way or the other. But the quotes from the OP seem to suggest people doing just that (meaning rejection of evolution causes racism). Again, I don't know the details of the study, but I'm more apt to agree with you that "the same underlying thing" causing both racism and rejection of evolution is more plausible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debunking Creationism #1 - How Human Evolution Works QuackeryDetection 58 4860 May 17, 2022 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Caesarian births directly affecting human evolution downbeatplumb 51 5296 December 7, 2016 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Intelligent design type evolution vs naturalism type evolution. Mystic 59 30301 April 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm
  Search: E. coli death linked to strawberries from Oregon farm Judas BentHer 1 900 August 9, 2011 at 4:21 pm
  Higher IQ linked to liberalism Darwinian 12 3428 March 22, 2010 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Your inner fish, free powerpoint presentations on human evolution. leo-rcc 0 1955 December 23, 2009 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc