Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apologetic Taxonomy
Apologetic Taxonomy
(Reprinted from an earlier post, provided here for summary)

Breeds of apologist should be classified by demeanor (how they package their arguments and present themselves), possible nature (admissions they tend to make and speculations on likely motives), favorite fallacies (ones that seem to come up most frequently) and suggested strategy (how to best call them out on their bs). 

The Pompous Apologist

Demeanor: This apologist wants to come across as a professor of philosophy and the skeptics are all students to be lectured and graded. You can spot them not just by their arrogant demeanor and snippy, dismissive attitude toward their opponent, but also by their use of philosophy terms, Latin phrases and accusations (well founded or not) of logical fallacies by their opponent. In debate, they will go on the offensive, looking for any mistakes by the skeptic to harp on, whether these mistakes be something as trivial as a grammatical error or one that is beside the point .
Possible Nature: This breed of apologist seems intelligent and educated enough to pull off this act. They seem to think playing up the professorial act will help obfuscate the absence of any evidence for their claims. They also seem savvy enough to know that the best defense is a good offense. My experience is they tend to be sleazy and you can usually catch them in a lie if you are patient enough. 
Favorite Fallacies: Poisoning the Well and red herring. They will try their utmost to undermine your credibility or insult your lack of scholarship. Where possible, they will shift the discussion away from the topic to harp on some mistake you've made. 
Suggested Strategy: Keep a cool head. Don't react to their insults or respond in kind. They'll put their hand on their chest as say "what was that about?" Don't use sarcasm or humor. They'll use it to suggest you're not a serious debater. Don't get distracted as they employ red herring evasion. Keep their feet to the fire and remind them the burden of proof is on them. Keep at them with polite demands that they talk about what they believe and how they justify those beliefs. Use the quote function to take them back to what they said earlier. These apologists will lie about what they said earlier, so always be ready to go to the tape.

The Liberal Apologist

Demeanor: Jesus is love to these Christians and somehow mainstream Christianity has managed to get it all wrong for 2000 years. Apparently, the greatest Christian minds just aren't as smart as these people. How unfortunate for Christianity's victims since then. 

Possible Nature: These people aren't necessarily liberals in the political, social or economic sense. They may be Republicans or Democrats. What they all have in common is their desire to make Jesus in their own image. The Bible says whatever they want it to say and no interpretation is too obtuse. 

Favorite Fallacies: "Quote mining", "special pleading", "ad hoc hypothesis" and most of all, "moving the goal posts"
Suggested Strategy: While debating a fundamentalist may seem like assaulting a fortress, debating the liberal apologist is more like guerrilla warfare. They are nowhere and everywhere. Pinning them down on anything may be neigh impossible as they shamelessly shift positions on a dime. Focus on the most important question: Is the Bible the Word of God or is it Not the Word of God? Expect them to offer and try to justify a "sort of" answer where parts were "inspired" and other parts not so much. At this point, ask them to explain how they know which is which. Since we are not God or angels, how should we be able to tell the difference. When they offer nothing more than "you just know", they've revealed that they're making up their own religion and their own Holy Book and can dispense with the pretense of calling themselves "Christian".

The Philoso-Babbler

Demeanor: The Philoso-babbler is similar to the Pompous Apologist but without the education or intellect needed to pull off the pseudo-professorial role. Like his/her Pompous kin, there's a heavy reliance on philosophy but more on the canned (and repeatedly debunked) arguments like the Ontological Argument. 

Possible Nature: This type heard the Presuppositional Argument and thought it was a slam dunk. They seem to think "God-(verb)-It" is a good explanation for anything. 

Favorite Fallacies: "Bare Assertion", "Circular Reasoning", "Non Sequitur", and "Special Pleading"
Suggested Strategy: Really? You want to waste your time? This bozo is self-pwning. However, he does make for good practice for the beginner skeptic as they sharpen their debate skills.

The Fundy Fucktard

Demeanor: This breed is the mirror opposite of the "Liberal" apologist. They know what the Bible says and surprisingly are just fine with it. They have no need to reconcile science with their faith, as "evilution" is a great conspiracy and the world is really 6-10 thousand years old. 

Possible Nature: Nothing hidden about this one. All the cards are on the table and anyone who's read the Bible will find them as predictable as the next sunrise. In a way, their consistency is refreshing, especially if you've just gone a few rounds with a Liberal apologist. 

Favorite Fallacies: "Appeal to Fear"

Suggested Strategy: There's little hope for this one but they can be useful as a case study on what happens to your brain if you actually believe this stuff.
EDIT TO ADD: Just for fun, if you are able, put them in a room with a Liberal apologist and watch the sparks fly.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: Apologetic Taxonomy
Quote:The Fundy Fucktard

We get a high percentage of those!
A scientific study was set to discover how and why we exist. For the study, two theists and two atheists were called upon to do the research. The atheists claimed that the study couldn't be completed because the theists were "ignorant" and likewise, the theists said the same thing about the atheists. The study was postponed indefinitely because it could only be concluded that all four were ignorant, and as such the study couldn't be completed to standard. The End.

Who wants cake?
That doesn't seems like an all inclusive list. Is that all the variety of us there is? Could I get a consensus and classification on the current forum theists, especially myself?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(December 4, 2018 at 8:47 pm)tackattack Wrote: That doesn't seems like an all inclusive list. Is that all the variety of us there is? Could I get a consensus and classification on the current forum theists, especially myself?

Others can contribute but these four archetypes seem to cover most of my experiences.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Quote:Who wants cake?

Eddie Izzard.

Memories!  The best part starts around 2:25.

Each of these types has a close equivalent among atheists as well. With a few small adjustments, the types carry over easily. 

(December 4, 2018 at 12:04 pm)The Pompous Apologist Wrote: Demeanor: This apologist wants to come across as a professor of philosophy and the skeptics are all students to be lectured and graded. You can spot them not just by their arrogant demeanor and snippy, dismissive attitude toward their opponent, but also by their use of philosophy terms, Latin phrases and accusations (well founded or not) of logical fallacies by their opponent. In debate, they will go on the offensive, looking for any mistakes by the skeptic to harp on, whether these mistakes be something as trivial as a grammatical error or one that is beside the point .

Actually this type doesn't need any adjustment at all. 

Maybe the Pompous Atheist type is less likely to use philosophical terms and more likely to use scientific ones, even where they're not relevant. 

Quote:The Liberal Apologist

Demeanor: Jesus is love to these Christians and somehow mainstream Christianity has managed to get it all wrong for 2000 years. Apparently, the greatest Christian minds just aren't as smart as these people. How unfortunate for Christianity's victims since then. 

Possible Nature: These people aren't necessarily liberals in the political, social or economic sense. They may be Republicans or Democrats. What they all have in common is their desire to make Jesus in their own image. The Bible says whatever they want it to say and no interpretation is too obtuse. 

The equivalent among atheists would be the type who think they know what Christianity really says and Christians don't. When they say "religion" they are really referring to some unspecified subset of modern religious believers -- often whatever Sunday School their parents made them go to. They routinely dismiss the greatest Christian minds as irrelevant because the Christianity they want to attack is different from what those minds conceived. 

They also reason about God based on what their own preferences are. So they say, "if I were omniscient I would definitely do A, B, and C, and since A, B, and C don't happen there can't be a God." In other words, they think they are fully qualified to reason as if they are already omniscient. 

Quote:The Philoso-Babbler

Demeanor: The Philoso-babbler is similar to the Pompous Apologist but without the education or intellect needed to pull off the pseudo-professorial role. Like his/her Pompous kin, there's a heavy reliance on philosophy but more on the canned (and repeatedly debunked) arguments like "if everything had a cause, then why doesn't God have a cause, too?"

A common type. I changed the words in bold, above. It's kind of the atheist equivalent of "if people evolved from monkeys why are there still monkeys?" A common rebuttal that people who don't know what they're talking about think is a real knock-down argument. 

Quote:The Fundy Fucktard

Demeanor: This breed is the mirror opposite of the "Liberal" apologist. They know what the Bible says and surprisingly are just fine with it. They have no need to reconcile science with their faith, as "evilution" is a great conspiracy and the world is really 6-10 thousand years old. 

The atheist equivalent here would be the fan of scientism, who thinks that science has the answer to every question, or will soon, and nothing at all related to religion is worth talking about. They generally don't even try to make an argument, just type ejaculations like, "religitards is dumb." 

When feeling ambitious they might copy and paste a cliche from Christopher Hitchens.
Modern atheism is overly dependent on what everybody else thinks. That's why there's so much imitation. No point in them wielding insults when a week later they'll adopt something new from the Christians, Muslims, or whoever else. That's one of the reasons I don't get yippity over it as a religion. Soon, if they don't have them already, it wouldn't surprise me if they start putting up mosques. Then round-n-round with the Muslims as to why their mosques are better. Then the week after that, it will be on to something else. Maybe it will be the Amish and they'll compete with them over whose butter churns are more scientific. Admittedly though, I have had a few atheist buddies who were pretty level-headed and independent with their thinking. Just seems to becoming less and less of the trend.
(December 4, 2018 at 10:35 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote:
(December 4, 2018 at 8:47 pm)tackattack Wrote: That doesn't seems like an all inclusive list. Is that all the variety of us there is? Could I get a consensus and classification on the current forum theists, especially myself?

Others can contribute but these four archetypes seem to cover most of my experiences.

There are also bottom-scrapers who just type "you're an idiot" over and over.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Every Apologetic Argument Ever YahwehIsTheWay 21 2655 December 1, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Brilliant new apologetic fact FreeTony 106 14705 February 23, 2015 at 12:20 am
Last Post: Zen Badger