Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You had one job!
You had one job!
Hey,

I'm making a great, big "bitch 'bout work" thread.
Be sure to give some context, so we know what your job is. Saying you can't handle all of the guts and blood flying around everywhere is much different if you're a butcher or a stressed-out accountant.
Feel free to advice, of course, but I inted this primarely to vent. After all, you can't realistically ask for someone half-a-world away and not privy to the inner workings of your job and (work)life to fix your problems for you.

Got a boss that can stick it up his ass? A colleague that keeps sticking his nose up the boss' ass? Management keeps interfering with your work? Difficult hours? Sexism? Filthy cafeteria? Hard commute? Pressing deadlines?  Whatever. Feel free to pile on.

I'm a social worker, and broadly speaking, I help people in disadvantaged positions in society, to make the most of their lives (or at least try to) and contribute to and especially integrate into said society to the fullest pf their capacity. Think of it as one part life-coach, 3 parts social and societal guidance, 3 parts administration, 3 parts financial guidance. All the while providing a living wage and checking up if said wage is still earned through efforts of the cliënt and, if not, applying suspension in said wage. It can be hard to keep a balance of.

Anyways, while I like the challenge and diversity of my job... I'm faced with a problem this week. And I think I should make a decission soon. And perhaps, it's something I should have done a long time ago. As a social worker, I'm also entitled to ask for a curator for a person to be applied, when I feel said cliënt is incapable of handling their own affairs and making their own decisions. It's something I've called into action twice so far. In both cases, it was obvious it was needed. The first was a boy of 18 with severe mental retardation. I'm talking: incapable of speaking, understanding what's going on, the young man would get naked everytime someone entered the house, ... He was cared for by his mother, but when he came of age, he needed someone to handle his finances, help him further with the needed care, apply the budget given by the goverment, demand for him to be excempt of voting, deciding on where he'd live, ... All decisions he couldn't make and which his mother had been trying to make for him, until he came of age. 
The second time was after an extreme bout of infrafamilial violence after which the victim was left hallucinating, completely disoriented and just completely in shambles. Glad to note she's making a recovery and hopefully won't need a curator for ever.

Third case... however... Is difficult. My client has schizophrenia, but is medicated. She's fallen into inaction for a while now, but is excempt from having to work, due to her condition. She was however capable of handling her own affairs. And most of the time, is. However recently, it's come to light that she's accused someone of something horrible, online, and is therefore being sued for slander. I'm not sure I actually believe the person she's accusing did what she claims he did, but I do believe she believes he did. Let's just say... It's not the first time she's thrown these accusations around, fiercely. And I'm even surprised she hasn't complained to my boss about me; saying I did this thing. To make matters worse, she's gone for a lawyer, but not pro bono through me. Adding to the financial problems she's suffering from this. Talk about already being 5000 euro's in debt, without any savings to count on. If she'd told me about this in the beginning, I could have minimized the damage. Now I'm wondering if I should apply her for a curator too; to avoid such problems in the future. If she'd had one before, she probably wouldn't have been held accountable and even if so, her costs with a pro bono lawyer would have probably landed at about a 1000 euro's maximum. 
The doctor doesn't seem to agree with appointing a curator. But I can still call for an investigation. And from my experience: If I ask for one, it will come to a curator. But it is an  invasive procedure and most of the time, she does not need one. 
I have to make a decision that will likely heavily impact the rest of someone's life. An d I don't feel convicted to lean one way or the other... And I know whichever I will end up choosing: I won't like my choice.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
RE: You had one job!
The worst thing about being self-employed is that when I call in sick, my boss knows when I'm lying.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Apparently you client is not capable of handling her own affairs or she wouldn't be in this predicament. 

What are the duties of a "curator"? Can they be assigned with limited duties (say, financial only, medical only)? Can the curator be assigned but when the client demonstrates a set of minimum standard for behavior(s) then be discharged?

How is her medication monitored/administrated? Do you know that she's being adequately medicated and she's medication compliant?

Are the accusations/behaviors causing the drama part of a chronic/repeating schizophrenic delusion? 

If she's mentally ill, how can the court hold her liable? And when on limited government funds what does the law suit intend to accomplish? And how will the lawyer collect when she is basically indigent. (if she's not, I need to come live there)

Too many questions? "Fuck off Mark" will be considered an appropriate response.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I once worked for a Christian Reformed machine shop/ injection moldiing company owner who after sending him to rehab, decided to make "Crackhead Ted" the shop foreman. He figured the added responsibility would do Crackhead good. Yes - he actually was smoking crack in the bathroom.

Surprise surprise - it didn't work out.

Dodgy
A limited curator to ensure she's medically compliant, would shield her from legal culpability, give her a witness in case some evil thing happened again (or didn't), be there to help her healthily cope with the fallout of a slander suit. Especially if she's ineligible to work and receiving state support for just breathing, it should come with strings. Nothing in life is free for anyone else, why should it be for her.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(December 6, 2018 at 7:59 pm)wyzas Wrote: Apparently you client is not capable of handling her own affairs or she wouldn't be in this predicament. 

What are the duties of a "curator"? Can they be assigned with limited duties (say, financial only, medical only)? Can the curator be assigned but when the client demonstrates a set of minimum standard for behavior(s) then be discharged?

How is her medication monitored/administrated? Do you know that she's being adequately medicated and she's medication compliant?

Are the accusations/behaviors causing the drama part of a chronic/repeating schizophrenic delusion? 

If she's mentally ill, how can the court hold her liable? And when on limited government funds what does the law suit intend to accomplish? And how will the lawyer collect when she is basically indigent. (if she's not, I need to come live there)

I saw in his profile the next fact.
Mr.Obvious live in Belgium , the curatorship system over there is called "Administration Judiciaire" in French and "Gerechtelijke bescherming" in Dutch.
It can be translate in English as "Judiciary Administration".
When the person is still sane he / she can make a "special mandate" or "general mandate" to prepare his / her potential incapacity and potentially avoid curatorship.

Special mandate is "Mandat Spécial" in French and "Bijzondere Lastgeving" in Dutch.
General mandate is "Mandat Général" in French and "Algemene Lastgeving" in Dutch.

Curatorship matters are regulated by the articles 488 to 502 of the civil code (French : Code Civil , Dutch : Burgerlijk Wetboek).

Link to this code in French in a official Website (You can use Google Translate but translations will be approximative) : http://www.ejustice.just.fgov.be/cgi_loi...10#LNK0111

Link to the same in Dutch : http://www.ejustice.just.fgov.be/cgi_loi...1804032130

Answers to your questions :

Can they be assigned with limited duties (say, financial only, medical only)?

Yes , a curator can be appointed to take care of financial or / and person.
Even a curator for financial and another for the person is possible.

In my knowledge (I'm a citizen of French Republic living in France) in Belgium often the curator for financial is an attorney and the curator for the person is a family member when there are a curator for each mission.

If the curator for financial and person is an attorney it is problematic because a professional rarely visit the ward if we believe what I read about the topic.

Can the curator be assigned but when the client demonstrates a set of minimum standard for behavior(s) then be discharged?

Theoretically yes. In practice it's not in the interest of the professional to lose a ward because the pro lose money if the curatorship stop.
The "Judge of Peace" (French : Juge de paix , Dutch : Vrederechter) can decide to end it but it is rumoured there are corruption and I doubt that average non-corrupt Judge of Peace have sufficient knowledge to understand he is manipulated by the curator or / and others people to avoid termination of curatorship.

There are legit curatorships but we can't forget there are many kinds of curatorship abuse that happens over the world.

1.Someone can be under curatorship when it's not necessary accorded to the law of the country in which the victim live because of corruption and the like.

2.The curator can steal money and others goods (The home for example) and being protected by those charged to monitor the curator.
For example the curator can sell the home of the ward at a price lower than market and being protected by judge who nominated him or her.
I did already hear about cases (In France) with curators paying fictive insurances. If the money don't go in pocket of an insurance where it does go ?

3.The curator can make all necessary for its ward finish in an asylum or a retirement home if the ward rebel itself against curator authority.
In theory there are control to avoid abusive internment in an asylum in the majority of the world countries but they can be passed with corruption and / or psychiatrists who can be victim of Martha Mitchell effect ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Mitchell_effect ).

Facebook page that denounce abuses in Canada in the province of Quebec owned by ADPPPC (French and English) : https://www.facebook.com/adpppc/

Website of ADPPPC (Association for the Defense of People and Property under Public Curatorship / Association pour la Défense des Personnes et de leurs Biens sous Curatelle Publique ) in French and English : http://curabec.org/home/

Facebook page that denounce abuses in USA owned by AAAPG (English only) : https://www.facebook.com/AAAPG.net/

Website of AAAPG (Americans Against Abusive Probate Guardianship) : http://aaapg.net/
(December 6, 2018 at 7:59 pm)wyzas Wrote: Apparently you client is not capable of handling her own affairs or she wouldn't be in this predicament. 

Fuck off Mark Wink

No, thank you for your interest. Really, thank you.
But I can't dive too deep into the specifics. I could be typing all day, and I'm not supposed to say anything confidential; so I'm really not supposed to go into specifics.
I'm just venting and bitching.
It's going to be a tough call, but I'll figure it out.

Another thing to bitch about: had wind against me and rain this morning. 31km of struggling on my bike, and a bad night's sleep. Somedays, it's just not worth the 'bycicle bonus'... Fucking hell.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
(December 6, 2018 at 8:36 pm)tackattack Wrote: A limited curator to ensure she's medically compliant, would shield her from legal culpability, give her a witness in case some evil thing happened again (or didn't), be there to help her healthily cope with the fallout of a slander suit. Especially if she's ineligible to work and receiving state support for just breathing, it should come with strings. Nothing in life is free for anyone else, why should it be for her.

I have an idea.

In Belgium , it is possible for the person to be cured not voluntary without being in an asylum conformally to articles 23 to 29 of Law on the protection of the person of the mentally ill.
The French name of this Law is "Loi relative à la protection de la personne des malades mentaux" ( http://www.ejustice.just.fgov.be/cgi_loi...e_name=loi ) and its Dutch name is "Wet betreffende de bescherming van de persoon van de geesteszieke." ( http://www.ejustice.just.fgov.be/cgi_loi...e_name=wet ).

This law passed in "Tuesday, June 26, 1990" and in force since "Saturday, July 27, 1991" and the last modifications passed in "Monday, February 20, 2017" and in force since "Saturday, April 01 , 2017".

But if we follow my idea it won't be a shield for legal culpability for her.
Civil capacity and penal (Criminal) culpability are not the same things in the judicial system of Belgium and others countries like France.
But you can be renown non penally responsible or partially if you have a mental issue nor fully responsible if your mental issue didn't affect you at the time accorded to the psychiatrist(s).

But there are a problem if we follow my idea or not. Anybody can made a request to prosecutor of the king (Français : Procureur du Roi , Dutch : procureur des Konings , German : Prokurator des Königs) to appoint her a curator or transfer her to an asylym.
Therefore we must hope she will be treated by skilled and just people.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 746 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  What job(s) did you have as a kid? arewethereyet 25 2082 April 25, 2021 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Sal
  My shit ass job just called me back up CarveTheFive 25 1911 May 9, 2020 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mr.wizard
  had had and the lexical ambiguity Rhizomorph13 4 340 March 4, 2020 at 4:14 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I never had hangover. purplepurpose 15 1289 February 25, 2020 at 9:11 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If Jesus had ascended into Heaven... Jehanne 23 2017 May 13, 2019 at 7:38 am
Last Post: madog
  The best job in the world... Gawdzilla Sama 31 2091 April 23, 2019 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  My new job involves :) Megabullshit 17 1431 April 10, 2019 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: Megabullshit
  What is job like in Motorcycle Showroom ? Megabullshit 13 852 April 1, 2019 at 1:46 am
Last Post: Megabullshit
  Surreal day on the job...more of the same on the way. arewethereyet 75 5033 March 7, 2019 at 1:50 am
Last Post: Godscreated