Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone a caterer of have experience with hiring one
Anyone a caterer of have experience with hiring one
I'm not much of a party person, in case you haven't figured it out I'm pretty much the wet blanket.
I do have to d something for my wife's Bday coming up though. I rented a place and have cake and a DJ and a "photo booth"
I was trying to figure out the food. I'm trying to figure out a budget for a caterer.
I can do some things myself if they're not prep intensive, but wsince it is 2 hours away I figure it'd be better to just cater it.
We have 45ish peple and want heavy hors d'oeuvres. Any ideas on what my budget should be for just food or ideas on appetizers?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
RE: Anyone a caterer of have experience with hiring one
Cheese, veggie, and fruit trays are relatively easy to make. Not too expensive.
When I ran a kitchen we did 2.5 apps per person on a meal, about double that if it's just apps. Also, the people you're feeding should also be taken into consideration. 50 construction workers eat a whole hell of a lot more than 50 grandmas.
(December 6, 2018 at 10:54 pm)tackattack Wrote: I'm not much of a party person, in case you haven't figured it out I'm pretty much the wet blanket.
I do have to d something for my wife's Bday coming up though. I rented a place and have cake and a DJ and a "photo booth"
I was trying to figure out the food. I'm trying to figure out a budget for a caterer.
I can do some things myself if they're not prep intensive, but wsince it is 2 hours away I figure it'd be better to just cater it.
We have 45ish peple and want heavy hors d'oeuvres. Any ideas on what my budget should be for just food or ideas on appetizers?

Easy out:  Have each of the guests bring a little something.  People (generally) love to show off their (real or imagined) culinary skills.  But coordinate with your guests - the last thing your missus is going to want at her party is 45 containers of potato salad and nothing else.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I'm thinking heavy on the horsdervers so maybe 6-9 bites per head?? It's 80s themed so I'm not sure what I want yet, just trying to guess a budget before I go caterer shopping. I just don't want wieners in croissants and jelly weinies. I don't want wedding fancy though. I don't want guests to have to bring anything. I don't mind paying I'm not that cheap, plus I can do some myself.

I was thinking something like : crustinis with several toppings like goat cheese and pears, cheddar and apple and lump crab dip with maybe 4 or so other meat selections??
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

Two hours away? You've already burned an hour, dude! Just go to the local grocery and buy as much as you need from the deli case.

ETA- and get some Triscuits, too!
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Sounds like you have it under control. Just do some research on the caterers in the area. As long as they are on the up and up, they'll be able to help finalize and tweak the menu. Just keep in mind, that you're paying either way. Money to the caterer, or your time. Which is the better value? Does Mrs. Tackattack what you slaving away, or spending that time with her?
yes she probably does. She'll want to catch up with all her friends and such. One of her friends is 5 minutes from the venue. They suggested instead of ordering moe's they could just cook up fajita meat and bring it. Well messy crap is off the menu. The even is 2 hours from the house but we're going up a day early so I'll have practicaly a day to do any prep I want to do, the question is do I want to. I just can't do prep here at the house.

But..I'm not sure I can do it all myself or have time to get it all done in one day. I was thinking something like :

1. mini eggo, with chick fila nuggets drizzeled in honey for a chicken and waffle bite - I could prep
2. crustini's and various dips - I suppose I could prep most of this, but I'd like some mind blowing toppings (especially crab dip) so I might order that out
3. caprese salad squewers - I could assemble that the day of I suppose
4. cucumber tea sandwiches - I know I'm not good at these, but I suppose I could try the day of
Maybe I'll throw in a fruit tray, a fancy meat tray and a veggie tray which I can buy I guess

5. maybe fried gnocchi or fried ravioli - I couldn't do this
6. little quiches - I couldn't do this
7. meatballs (maybe Swedish or quality ones, not the usual crap in jelly sauce) - I couldn't do or keep this I don't think

I think if I plan for everyone to have 2 of each of the 7 that's 14 bites x 45 people is 630. At a dollar a bite do you think 600 is a reasonable budget?

(December 6, 2018 at 10:54 pm)tackattack Wrote: I'm not much of a party person, in case you haven't figured it out I'm pretty much the wet blanket.

I had my mom's funeral catered, although I had to pick it up myself. Just about any deli in the country will cater, many pizza/wing joints also do, seafood too. Simple google search near you should give you a list. Shop around compare prices, probably going to be far cheaper to simply pick it up. 

1. Try to get a good idea of how many people will show up, that way you don't buy too much.

2. Ask those she knows what they like to eat.

3. Sounds like you answered your own questions in your question.
Well I have an idea of what I want and I am a bit of a control freak. I'm also lazy though. I could pick up, I'll look for a restaurant that could do something a little higher brow than wings and pigs in a blanket.

My problem is I have no practical experience. I'd like to know I'm paying a fair price vs what it would cost me to not be lazy. And I want to have enough food. Without experience, I feel like I'm not qualified to judge those things. Just reaching out for experience of members.

Basically I want to see - I can do it myself for X amount and X hours labor or I could pay x to do it for X and that would give me, the is it worth my time value. I guess I need to shop around for catering in that area. Still a few months to go so there's no rush. Thanks for all the opinions.

Caterers tend to have a set menu, you may end up paying a premium for the personalization.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Experience with AstraZeneca while having M.S WinterHold 12 1596 September 12, 2021 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  my experience as non reilgous living in saudi arabia (extremely religious country) hourglass 9 884 December 13, 2019 at 7:43 am
Last Post: viocjit
  [Serious] Has anyone had any experience with mental illness? I believe in Harry Potter 77 8772 December 8, 2019 at 4:19 am
Last Post: WolfsChild
  Is it possible for someone to have a plan and not have one at the same time? Der/die AtheistIn 9 1016 March 4, 2019 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Can a mistake be so big, that the one who did will never have your respect again? Der/die AtheistIn 31 2025 February 18, 2019 at 12:10 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye