Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm going to the Mojave to steal a car!
I'm going to the Mojave to steal a car!
Who's with me?

Yep. All Volkswagons. All derelict dieselgate samples.
You'd think they can just reprogram them, wouldn't you?

[Image: 5abc191de4b01cce9ac6cc0f-1522276637590?l...=LANDSCAPE]

checkout the old planes further up the boneyard.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: I'm going to the Mojave to steal a car!
Volkswagens with diesel engines? Why couldn't they sell them?
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
I'm thinking they reprogrammed the new made but not yet sold cars, but these would all be from a govt initiated forced market value buyback.
Still doesn't explain why VW can't start reprogramming them and selling them through the second hand dealers Dunno

Maybe they don't want the reminder to remain in the public psyche to protect the long term reputation of the brand?

I'm taking this one. It's only got a small ding in the rear quarter panel... You can hardly see it!!! Big Grin
[Image: 2p4v17.jpg]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
You sure that's not Pima?
(December 16, 2018 at 7:45 pm)Gwaithmir Wrote: Volkswagens with diesel engines? Why couldn't they sell them?

Volkswagen Corp was sued for more than $1B USD for writing software into the ECM that allowed it to detect when it was being tested for emissions, and going to the low emissions mode. The rest of the time the vehicles were in use, they emitted as much as 40 times the US Federal limit for that type of pollution.

Ig- There may be some value for reprogramming the vehicles to conform to US regulations, but those vehicles would always be suspect. Screw me once, shame on you...etc.

I had a SMOG license as a mechanic, back in the '70s-'80s. My behavior was observable and reportable to the state. If I broke the law, I was liable for prison time for it. I never considered a person's inability to pay for repairs that would make the vehicle legally roadworthy a cause for my breaking the law and going to jail. There were avenues for subsidization of costs for repair (or not) for poor people. I'd point them to those resources. Believe it or not, the biggest assholes were those people with expensive vehicles that didn't pass. They'd offer up money to get by. I simply told them that if they had enough money to bribe me, they had enough money to go make the repair, whether it was done at our shop or elsewhere. The thing about having money is that it talks to a lot of people. My take is, again, I won't take a chance of losing personal freedom for something like $50 US.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
VW got off very light IMO. If it was up to me, they would be blackballed in the U.S.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Zilla ...look it up ... One of those pics got photo of the year! (same area, same car lot)

serves the arrogant pricks right...

(iggy goes for a drive in his pre pollution gas guzzler to calm down!)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(December 16, 2018 at 10:45 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Zilla ...look it up ... One of those pics got photo of the year! (same area, same car lot)

serves the arrogant pricks right...

(iggy goes for a drive in his pre pollution gas guzzler to calm down!)

Yah, Victorville. Terrain is the same.

[Image: The-Pima-Air-Space-Museum.jpg]
My question is who is making sure that Volkswagen or another automaker isn't still engaged in similar shenanigans, and not necessarily with respect to emissions either. Mileage and safety are both very dependent on software.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Third world business opportunities being wasted. What a shame.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who else is going to see Rogue One, the next Star Wars movie soon? Whateverist 138 11743 December 24, 2016 at 6:17 am
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  How long has this been going on? BrianSoddingBoru4 0 679 December 13, 2015 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief Foxaèr 10 2285 November 13, 2015 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Don't leave your child in the car to Cook. brewer 43 5706 August 2, 2015 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Movie industry going down ? Marsellus Wallace 34 5707 July 9, 2015 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  I'm going insane Pizza 4 1009 March 24, 2015 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Jon Stewart Is Going To Have A Field Day Minimalist 0 611 January 7, 2015 at 2:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Going to see Lita Ford! Ravenshire 6 1118 July 11, 2014 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  What's going on? evenheathen 0 523 July 9, 2013 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: evenheathen
  Rick Perry Parody (you're going to love this...if you haven't already seen it) LarissaAnn 2 1564 January 5, 2012 at 2:45 am
Last Post: Whateverist