Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't leave your child in the car to Cook.
Don't leave your child in the car to Cook.
It's summer here in the US so the stories of kids being left in cars in the heat is all over the media. I thought I had heard this in passing on the radio but thought 'that can't be right, no one is that stupid". Then bored, I googled it this morning and there it was, strategies to use to not leave your kid in the car to be cooked alive.

The #1 strategy, leave your purse or cell phone in the back seat with the child. You might forget the kid but your damn sure not to forget the phone or money.

How fucked up is this? Is this what our materialistic society degraded into? Human life less valuable than a phone? I just don't get it.

http://www.kidsafefoundation.org/dont-le...-never-do/
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Don't leave your child in the car to Cook.
In defense of society your phone doesn't throw a tantrum when you don't buy it the right kind of cookies.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Forget the kid? O_o HOW?!?
Not only does it happen by accident, but there was a case last year (?) that while it looked like an accident, was actually deliberate.

Pets get cooked this way too.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(August 1, 2015 at 9:20 am)Neimenovic Wrote: Forget the kid? O_o HOW?!?

As a parent, I can say that when you start driving for a while and the child is quiet in the back, it can happen when you forget the kid is with you. I've never left one in my car, but there have been times when I got out of the car and realized, "Oh yeah, I've got my kid with me." It's actually kind of scary how easily it can happen.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 1, 2015 at 9:35 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Not only does it happen by accident, but there was a case last year (?) that while it looked like an accident, was actually deliberate.

I remember that, and it was fucking sickening. Just knowing that they deliberately put their child to death in such a brutal manner gets me thinking it's time to break out the vigilante squad.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 1, 2015 at 9:01 am)mh.brewer Wrote: It's summer here in the US so the stories of kids being left in cars in the heat is all over the media. I thought I had heard this in passing on the radio but thought 'that can't be right, no one is that stupid". Then bored, I googled it this morning and there it was, strategies to use to not leave your kid in the car to be cooked alive.

The #1 strategy, leave your purse or cell phone in the back seat with the child. You might forget the kid but your damn sure not to forget the phone or money.

How fucked up is this? Is this what our materialistic society degraded into? Human life less valuable than a phone? I just don't get it.

I like the Kids Safe Foundation's strategies.   People accidentally leave their kids in the car because they are operating on autopilot, not because they find their purse or cell phone more valuable.   The purse and cell phone are always with you and therefore protected by autopilot because picking them up is something you do every time you exit the car.  The child sometimes is and sometimes is not with you and therefore is not covered by autopilot.  Put the purse and keys back with the baby and you've used autopilot to protect rather than risk the baby.  Also you've limited how far from the car you can get before realizing you've forgotten.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
If I was in charge of police patrols, I'd have them patrolling parking lots from June through September. If anyone catching a kid in a car, make the parent sit in there for ten minutes or so to get it through their heads.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Quote:'that can't be right, no one is that stupid".

#1 on the list of things that should never be said in 'Murrica.

However, a little bit of the law of unintended consequences has seeped in here.  First, as far as I know, all states require that young kids be strapped into car seats.  I've watched young mothers - okay,  full-disclosure- I was mainly looking at their asses - trying to get kids in or out of one of these car seats and it is not a 10 second operation.  You practically need to be an engineer to do it right and if you do it wrong, why bother?  Second, those same laws also require that the "safety  seat" go in the back of the car and are installed facing the back of the car.

All of this increases the "I'll only be a moment" factor and then people get distracted.  Some people are very easily distracted.  Shit happens.
(August 1, 2015 at 9:01 am)mh.brewer Wrote: It's summer here in the US so the stories of kids being left in cars in the heat is all over the media. I thought I had heard this in passing on the radio but thought 'that can't be right, no one is that stupid". Then bored, I googled it this morning and there it was, strategies to use to not leave your kid in the car to be cooked alive.

It has nothing to do with materialism or valuing one's phone more than one's child.  It has to do with the fact that people forget things.  

Here is a good article on this subject:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/...story.html

It is a bit long, but if you want to understand this sort of thing, you should read it.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mama's Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Vikings chimp3 3 630 March 19, 2019 at 2:14 am
Last Post: fredd bear
  I'm going to the Mojave to steal a car! ignoramus 11 593 December 17, 2018 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Man Comes Out As A Child Molester To Oppose Gay Rights Heat 0 680 January 14, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Heat
  When Yahweh guides your life you don's get anywhere Justtristo 0 1175 September 14, 2012 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: Justtristo
  Child Witch Hunter passionatefool 16 5031 March 8, 2012 at 8:24 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Faith-healing choice hurt child Diamond 12 3478 June 4, 2011 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  Documentary covering the religious child abuse of a girl. Tiberius 3 1926 March 15, 2009 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Rob
  Religious Child Abuse. leo-rcc 2 1448 March 10, 2009 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I want an electric car... Darwinian 5 2158 December 14, 2008 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Purple Rabbit