Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roku/FireStick/WhatThing people, what's good?
Roku/FireStick/WhatThing people, what's good?
Just got a Roku and a Firestick. Looking for suggestions. Share? (There are no category errors here, so let fly.)
RE: Roku/FireStick/WhatThing people, what's good?
We've had Roku for a little more than a year, no complaints.  Comes with scads of free channels (more than 25, I think) and the option for pay channels.

No experience with FireStick.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I've already found "Curiosity Stream", a docu channel. Boss Lady approved of "BritBox". I need subtitles for that shit.
Pluto.tv and Sony's crackle for free movies are both interesting. Then there's always the streaming TV services, SlingTV and Playstation VUE being my favorite low cost options. If the lady likes Britbox, she might also like Acorn TV, which also carries British programming. And if you've got Amazon Prime, there's Amazon Video as well. I've got both a Roku and a Chromecast because they serve different functions. I don't know what one can do on the Fire stick that you can't do on the Roku stick, but then I've never owned a Fire stick. My understanding has been that they do pretty much the same thing, so if you've got one you don't need the other (unless they're for separate TVs of course).
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
We have two TVs so I got the Roku and FireStick to compare them. So far, other than exclusive services, there's not much difference. So I'm looking for content.
I thought Roku was a salad dressing.
-- 
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
So far Firestick has a slight lead.
Firestick is awesome. Watch The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.
I have a FireCube and it's fucking fire.

Plex is pretty much all I use.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
-disappointed that chromecast wan't an option.  Anything that the rest can do..you can just google

Learn to love the bomb.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good music is....good Dean-o 7 2550 June 25, 2011 at 11:39 am
Last Post: popeyespappy