Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
advertising atheism on the sides of buses...good idea?
advertising atheism on the sides of buses...good idea?
The British Humanists and Richard Dawkins have paid to have advertisingon public transport stating that God probably doesn't exist so enjoy life without fear of being judged.

What do you think? Good/bad tactic?

I have a gut feeling that it is bad tactics.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
RE: advertising atheism on the sides of buses...good idea?
I think it's a superb idea and I have already ordered the t-shirt.

For too long the religious have had things their own way with special treatment, demanding the rest of us to be sensitive to their beliefs, being able to say what they want because they are somehow untouchable.

Well, it's time to redress the balance and let people know that there is nothing special about religion and it does not hold any monopoly on truth or morals. And if this campaign raises the consciousness of people and gives them the impetus to question this dark age mentality that has for so long been stifling free thought then all the better.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
I think it's a great idea. It's about time those who do not believe speak out.
It's letting everyone know that there are people out there who have challanged and rejected religion. It's telling you to question religion.

I think theists had complained but no one really listened. This is score one for Freethought!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
I'm really happy about this idea if I'm honest. I just have to trust that the population aren't stupid enough to say "no God? Quick, somebody get me some cocaine and a machine gun. It's time to live it up!"

I don't think many British people are that dumb though. I think this will go well :]
I think it's great!
Religious people advertise their believes everywhere, all the time.
It's our turn!!
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful with out having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it to?" -Douglas Adams.Heart
Pastafarian
I Evolved!
I like it. Makes atheism more prominent so people can't pretend we don't exist. Meanwhile other atheists can find us and join our efforts.

I'm part of a group trying to put one together here in Boston. Big Grin
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(January 13, 2009 at 3:13 pm)bozo Wrote: The British Humanists and Richard Dawkins have paid to have advertisingon public transport stating that God probably doesn't exist so enjoy life without fear of being judged.

What do you think? Good/bad tactic?

I have a gut feeling that it is bad tactics.

In principle yeah, I think it's a good idea but, in London at least, I've seen these Ads on buses in London and I have a concern, a criticism if you wish.

The Ads, all those I've seen, appear on the two section single level buses and the Ads are ONLY on the driver side, rear section. Now maybe that's all the Ad organisers paid for but to my mind it means they've wasted their money because the Ads are low down and not particularly visible as they would have been on a double decker and to view them you need to be on the other side of the road and in London that means at least 1 stream (usually several) of traffic obscuring a decent view of the Ad.

I have some photos on my phone and I will upload and link to them as soon as I can, once I've figured out how to do it (doh!) but I have to say I was a little disappointed.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Kyu,

As far as I am aware, the ads appear on all manner of buses and trains, as well as some billboards. The BHA site has some pictures of them in action. I think the idea is great though; I donated £10 Smile
(January 14, 2009 at 7:33 am)Tiberius Wrote: As far as I am aware, the ads appear on all manner of buses and trains, as well as some billboards. The BHA site has some pictures of them in action. I think the idea is great though; I donated £10 Smile

I didn't even know about it until after the furore had started ... doh!

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
In principle the idea is great, It's time we where able to present all view point with no bias or censorship ...

Maybe if the wording was a little more philosophical or thought provoking or even more direct it would have a greater impact, but still a firm step foward we can all be proud of.

Regards

Sam
"We need not suppose more things to exist than are absolutely neccesary." William of Occam

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt" William Shakespeare (Measure for Measure: Act 1, Scene 4)

AgnosticAtheist

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Purpose? No idea what it is. Cod 54 7316 November 15, 2018 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27146 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Good Wikipedia article on the History of Atheism. Jehanne 6 1643 April 5, 2017 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  My honest reason for disliking the idea of God purplepurpose 47 6112 December 11, 2016 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Athena777
  Idea purplepurpose 20 2486 May 22, 2016 at 9:02 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Atheism Looking Good! TrueChristian 52 7429 February 15, 2016 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  What good is atheism? Detective L Ryuzaki 46 8086 September 17, 2015 at 6:50 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  Is it a good idea to be an atheist? georgesthegreat 116 17331 March 20, 2015 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12490 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12156 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite