Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Wikipedia article on the History of Atheism.
Good Wikipedia article on the History of Atheism.
Right here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_atheism

But, some interesting highlights.  First, it was dangerous a few centuries to have been an atheist:

Quote:How dangerous it was to be accused of being an atheist at this time is illustrated by the examples of Étienne Dolet, who was strangled and burned in 1546, and Giulio Cesare Vanini, who received a similar fate in 1619. In 1689 the Polish nobleman Kazimierz Łyszczyński, who had denied the existence of God in his philosophical treatise De non existentia Dei, was imprisoned unlawfully; despite Warsaw Confederation tradition and king Sobieski's intercession, Łyszczyński was condemned to death for atheism and beheaded in Warsaw after his tongue was pulled out with a burning iron and his hands slowly burned. Similarly in 1766, the French nobleman François-Jean de la Barre, was tortured, beheaded, and his body burned for alleged vandalism of a crucifix, a case that became a cause célèbre because Voltaire tried unsuccessfully to have the judgment reversed.

Such Christian love, eh?!

But, one got away:

Quote:In early modern times, the first explicit atheist known by name was the German-languaged Danish critic of religion Matthias Knutzen (1646–after 1674), who published three atheist writings in 1674.[41]

Quote:There, Knutzen distributed handwritten pamphlets with atheistic contents. The town and the university of Jena carried out an investigation. In order not to be arrested, Knutzen went first to Coburg and then to Altdorf near Nuremberg. On October 22, 1674, he was last seen in Jena.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthias_Knutzen

And, now, we (atheists, that is) are protected now by US federal law:

Quote:On December 16, 2016, Barack Obama signed into law the Frank R. Wolf International Religious Freedom Act, which amends the International Religious Freedom Act of 1998 by specifically extending protection to non-theists as well as those who do not claim any particular religion.[114]
RE: Good Wikipedia article on the History of Atheism.
Quote:Such Christian love, eh?!

They'd be as bad as the muslims today if they thought they could get away with it.
(April 4, 2017 at 8:34 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Such Christian love, eh?!

They'd be as bad as the muslims today if they thought they could get away with it.

Some, sadly, would be, but they are, fortunately, a tiny minority these days.
Do you think Trump will repeal that law? Can he even do that?

Excuse my ignorance...I'm one of those filthy foreigners after all.

Wink
You know your belief is fantastic when you must murder people in horrid manners to ensure that no one steps out of line and finds out the truth.
[Image: blasp1.png]
(April 4, 2017 at 8:54 pm)Isis Wrote: Do you think Trump will repeal that law? Can he even do that?

Excuse my ignorance...I'm one of those filthy foreigners after all.

Wink

Hey, not all foreigners are British you know.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2246 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  History of abolishing God from the society Fake Messiah 42 2534 February 26, 2022 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood GUBU 13 1989 March 30, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Pathos article atheists can identify with. Brian37 6 2193 September 19, 2017 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27107 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why God is scientifically redefinable (an atheist article snippet) MadaraUchihuh 4 1400 March 10, 2017 at 9:24 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Are humans Gods? (article by an atheist) ChoklateWolfy 21 3878 March 2, 2017 at 10:11 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  I fear hell, and this article made things worse for me. What do you guys think? arda101 26 4690 February 5, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Autolite
  A History of Pious Fraud? Firefighter01 0 907 November 22, 2016 at 7:09 am
Last Post: Firefighter01
  2014 article in online science journal: "Atheists Might Not Exist" Whateverist 15 4086 July 4, 2016 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie