Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 11:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abiogenesis in the proximity of hydrothermal vents?
Bug 
Abiogenesis in the proximity of hydrothermal vents?
Quote:In March 2017, putative evidence of possibly the oldest forms of life on Earth was reported in the form of fossilized microorganisms discovered in hydrothermal vent precipitates in the Nuvvuagittuq Belt of Quebec, Canada, that may have lived as early as 4.28 billion years ago, not long after the oceans formed 4.4 billion years ago, and not long after the formation of the Earth 4.54 billion years ago.

Makes sense to me, heat provided from the earth's molten core and the spewing of many weird and wonderful chemicals - a recipe for life and no mistake.
RE: Abiogenesis in the proximity of hydrothermal vents?
How DARE you bring up scientific evidence for biology?? Next thing, you'll be telling us that gravity has something to do with physics.   Panic

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 10, 2019 at 9:18 am)Editz Wrote:
Quote:In March 2017, putative evidence of possibly the oldest forms of life on Earth was reported in the form of fossilized microorganisms discovered in hydrothermal vent precipitates in the Nuvvuagittuq Belt of Quebec, Canada, that may have lived as early as 4.28 billion years ago, not long after the oceans formed 4.4 billion years ago, and not long after the formation of the Earth 4.54 billion years ago.

Makes sense to me, heat provided from the earth's molten core and the spewing of many weird and wonderful chemicals - a recipe for life and no mistake.

Scientists have discovered several deep sea ecological systems which are not based on sunlight -- around vents but also around methane leaks too, if I remember the David Attenborough DVD correctly.
At work.

I remember watching a Youtube vid on 'Extreme places' and there's a cave in Europe....... Coatia maybe? Where a lake has been sealed away for a few million years and its eco system is pretty exotic/anaerobic.

I think there are some Antarctic lakes similar as well.....

"Life! Finds a way!" Big Grin
(January 10, 2019 at 9:24 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: How DARE you bring up scientific evidence for biology?? Next thing, you'll be telling us that gravity has something to do with physics.   Panic

Boru

Not only that Boru but...and steady yourself for this one...I recently engaged in an activity called "cooking" and found that there's a direct relationship between fire and heat!  Faints
(January 10, 2019 at 9:44 am)Editz Wrote:
(January 10, 2019 at 9:24 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: How DARE you bring up scientific evidence for biology?? Next thing, you'll be telling us that gravity has something to do with physics.   Panic

Boru

Not only that Boru but...and steady yourself for this one...I recently engaged in an activity called "cooking" and found that there's a direct relationship between fire and heat!  Faints

BLASPHEMER!!!

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Crikey, looks like AF will be preparing their Spanish Chair for me then  Truce I promise never to think again! Honest!
(January 10, 2019 at 10:51 am)Editz Wrote: Crikey, looks like AF will be preparing their Spanish Chair for me then  Truce I promise never to think again! Honest!

You will sit in the comfy chair until lunchtime, with only a cup of coffee at 11:00.  Mwa ha ha.

Boru
(January 10, 2019 at 11:07 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 10, 2019 at 10:51 am)Editz Wrote: Crikey, looks like AF will be preparing their Spanish Chair for me then  Truce I promise never to think again! Honest!

You will sit in the comfy chair until lunchtime, with only a cup of coffee at 11:00.  Mwa ha ha.

Boru

NO, NO NOT THE COMFY CHAIR!

Give him the pillow!

Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition. Our main weapons are fear, surprise and ruthless efficiency.

And now for something completely different. A man with a tape recorder up his nose.
At work.

I like traffic lights.

Except when they are red.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One step closer to proving abiogenesis? Scientists create "Near-Living Crystal" Ryantology 41 16521 January 31, 2015 at 3:47 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Abiogenesis solved? max-greece 23 6725 January 8, 2015 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Abiogenesis: Closer Minimalist 3 1545 November 9, 2014 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Abiogenesis: Impossible, or no? Creed of Heresy 8 5246 July 16, 2012 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: Colanth
  Abiogenesis. A step closer. Darwinian 6 2597 January 13, 2009 at 9:30 am
Last Post: Rob